It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Cup 2014 Thoughts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Hi guys. Looking to get some feedback from my thoughts for the world cup. Work in progress but do you think England can progress?
Who will win? Who will be top scorer? Who will be the star of the tournament?

My answers to the above

England - Group stage

Winners - Brazil

Top Scorer - Neymar

Star of the tournament - Luis Suarez

myworldcup2014.blogspot.co.uk...

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
No No Australia have as good as won it....OK I'd like to see my native England win but they always seem to be over trained an more than a little bit knackered! a reply to: gilbis

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
If the Brazilian gangs get Sepp Blatter then everyone wins the World Cup

But if I was to narrow it down a little...............Argentina to win the Cup. Too much fire power across the pitch. And that man Messi player of the tournament, and Aguero top scorer. I'm an Aussie before I get accused of being a one-eyed Argentinian. I just think everything has fallen into place for them, and all their key players are at the peak of their game at the same time.
After 30+ years in football/soccer, I would be shocked to see anything but an Argentinian win.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Going with extreme long shot .. japan ..
Have to support the land of my ancestors ..

In reality hoping anyone except brazil win it ..

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Brazil or uruguay.
Would bet on an european, since they never managed to win a world cup played in America.
Im from Argentina, and we have an awful squad. Both of our keepers dont play in the clubs, they havent played a match in about a whole year! Aguero is injured and has lost his form. Messi has been playing badly for the last few months in Barcelona. We can only count on Di Maria. But our defense and midfield is rubbish. Gago has been getting injured very often the last year, and hes playing badly in his club too.

Check the name of our defenders and middles: Rojo, Federico Fernandez, Garay, Maxi Rodiguez, Sosa, Augusto Fernandez, Basanta(¿? I know right!), Campagnaro... You prolly enver heard of these guys, cause they arent world class players!

Oh and to top it all off, our manager is thinking of playing with 5 defenders! Thats crazy! We'll be out before semis...

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: payta

The problem for Messi is that he set such a high standard that if he doesn't achieve that standard every year, people think he is out of form. It's also not easy playing for a club where you are the go to man for everything. He had a season interrupted by injury, yet still finishes as their highest scorer. The pride of putting on the national shirt could be all the extra motivation he needs. Aguero may be injured now, but if he was that bad he wouldn't be picked. He will fine in a months time I would assume.
Yes, as always Argentina look shaky at the back, but with that amount of strike power on the pitch it can compensate for a few defensive frailties. And the extra motivation for Argentina winning in Brazil would be just the tonic required to go all the way.
I just pray that meathead defenders don't turn this World Cup into a blatant exercise in kicking the best players out of the Cup.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: DarksideOz
Willy caballero should have been picked, he's the best goalie in the world.
A year ago Argentina had the best sqiad, our players were in top form, now not so much. Last result was a draw to Romania with no goals.
What about Colombia? They are looking good, have a great manager. They are Nigeria with good tactics IQ.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   

I would say that this is actually one of the more even World Cups that I can remember, with so many chances. My personal feeling is Argentina but that's all it is, just a personal feeling.
I think that there are at least 10 serious contenders for this Cup. Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Chile, Spain, Holland, Portugal, Germany, Belgium. There is probably another 10 teams that could win, but just don't seem to have the depth in their squad to go all the way, England, Italy, France, Japan, Sth.Korea, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Croatia etc.
The more I think about it, the more I think about the team that you can never write off at a World Cup.......Ze Germans !

But I said Argentina would win this World Cup while the last World Cup was still being played, and I haven't seen anything since to change that thought. But me predicting them has probably ruined any chance that they had of winning Lol

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Five defenders, or four, or even three will work depending on the amount of possession you keep. You need a quality finisher as goals win games, but history has taught that defence wins trophies. And if they play five at the back that would leave Aguero or Di Maria as lone striker [not a bad choice] with the other playing with Messi behind the striker. All of a sudden your midfield just got a whole lot stronger.

No matter what formation a team plays, all formations are about keeping shape. If those 5 defenders are organized and keep their shape, then Messi and co. will have a field day..............in my opinion.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Holland will win! It's our turn.. we never won a World Cup, but we're runners-up three times *grrr*. This year is our year! (hope speaking)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I've always had high expectations of England going into any tournament. Not anymore.
At the last Euro Championship I knew we had no realistic chance of winning it - that was genuinely a first for me. Got to say that I enjoyed that tournament far more than any other that I can recall watching in the last 40 odd years.

England will not win The World Cup, of that we can be certain.
If we get out of the Group stages we will have done well.
We have some talented youngsters, we need to blood them and prepare for Russia in 2018 and beyond.
Hodgson has been relatively bold in his squad selection, (I would have liked him to have taken Stones as well), lets hope he continues in that vein with his starting line-up and his tactics.

I think you can discount most of the European nations.
Obviously Germany and Spain have chances but a long season and the climate may go against them.
Italy could always surprise and Belgium has some great individuals.

It would be foolhardy to rule out the hosts Brazil and Argentina has some incredibly talented players.
Colombia and Uruguay should do well.

The best priced 40/1 on offer for Colombia looks quite generous so I guess I'll be having a couple of quid on them and my tip for the best rank outsider, 150/1 generally available for the Ivory Coast.
But all things considered I'm hoping to see Argentina drift out in the betting and if I can get 6/1 with anyone I may just have a decent punt on them.

I'd love to be proven wrong in my assessment and see England do really well.
Nothings impossible, remember Greece in Euro 2004 and Denmark in Sweden in 1992.
edit on 16/5/14 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: gilbis

I think England's chance hinges on a victory over Italy or Uruguay and then wrapping up the final game with a win against Costa Rica as well. I'd give us 50-50 odds of getting through. Then, if successful, it opens up a route to an inevitable quarter final against one of the big boys. And that is where we always fall short. Since '66 the teams that have eliminated us have (with the exception of Portugal) all been previous winners of the World Cup. Let's hope our luck changes if it goes to penalties

As for the winners well the media will tell you that no one from outside South America wins a World Cup there.

Well the last one was 1978 and there were only 3 previous ones in South America before that. Given that the majority of the world's players play in Europe and we see them week in week out there will be few surprises like there was back in the old days. There are no unknown players or tactics to contend with and sports science is a lot more advanced since the 1970s to condition the players.

So never rule out our friends from Germany. Argentina for me need Messi on top form to be a real threat. Something he has yet to show at a World Cup. So I'll say that Brazil maybe slight favourites but a European team might take the title this time around although I think Spain's dominance has faded.

Top scorer - Ricky Lambert

edit on 17/5/14 by mirageman because: grammar

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
uruguay, germany, brazil
One of those will win it
Top scorer? Suaraz

Are we having a fantasy football tournament for it?

edit on 23/5/14 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Very tough for Australia, The Dutch, Spanish & Chileans should all be too strong but you never know. I'm looking forward to it!

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Spain or Brazil will win this World Cup.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Nice to see some World Cup warm up games. Got to feel for the Italian player Montellivo. What a shame to suffer such a leg break at this stage of the warm up.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: DarksideOz
After 30+ years in football/soccer, I would be shocked to see anything but an Argentinian win.

As a big fan of Argentina, I hope you're right. I don't see it happening however.
Sabella has done a good job so far but I still feel the team isn't balanced. Attacking power can threaten any defense of course, but the midfield is still questionable and the rear shaky as ever.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Most likely - Germany, Spain or Brazil.

Good Chance - Argentina, Holland or Italy

Long shots but worth a punt - Belgium, Columbia, Ivory Coast, Switzerland, Uruguay

With Hodgson in charge England sadly have no chance.... his turgid brand of archaic football wont win anything.

edit on 3/6/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
After watching England tonight it just confirms we arent good enough. Woeful at the back and how Smalling made the squad let alone play a full 90 mins is beyond me. Ecuador are no world beaters yet looked dangerous every time they went near our box

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: gilbis

Must admit the lack of quality in depth in defensive positions is a major worry.

But don't forget these are just friendlies - no-one ever really impresses in friendly games.

And no-one is really expecting us to do anything in this tournament, so instead of focussing on all the negatives lets take all the positives out of these friendlies and the competition and try to build towards the next Euro's and Russia in 4 years time.

Oxlade-Chamberlain looked impressive - if he loses out due to ligament damage it'll be a blow for us.
Unfortunately he looks injury prone, just like his clubmate Walcott who would have been a great asset for us this year.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join