It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Titanic didnt sink, its sister the Olympic did!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
originally posted by: ionwind

Hang on a minute here. I saw the original footage of when they first found the wreck years ago on one of those horrible old square tvs with a tube in them (remember them lol) Anyways, the MP found on the nameplate is totally legitimate. The had the old skool camera go down and look for the nameplate.

As the OP asserts, it was riveted on and a part had broken off to reveal the letters MP. At that time they were scratching their heads asking if ut really was the Titanic they'd found or some other unknown wreck.

I wish I knew the name of that original doco so. I could post it. Anyone out the know and wanna help out?

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
If it was an insurance fraud, they didn't think it through:

Researchers Bruce Beveridge and Steve Hall took issue with many of Gardiner's claims in their book, Olympic and Titanic: The Truth Behind the Conspiracy.[7] Author Mark Chirnside has also raised serious questions about the switch theory.[8] It should be noted that the Titanic and Olympic were not fully insured. Lloyd's of London did not have sufficient underwriters in the insurance world of over a century ago to offer full coverage. In this case, an insurance scheme seems highly unlikely to yield adequate payout. Numerous expert historians and builder's documents affirm that a multitude of subtle differences in construction of the two ships makes a switch improbable to have gone undetected. While few components bore the ships names, most were cast or stamped with the builder's designated hull numbers, again making a switch unlikely.

Link

This site is interesting, it also has the "Curse of the Mummy" and German U-Boat ideas.

Also, how did they keep over a thousand workers quiet while they made the switch?

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ionwind

Also, how did they keep over a thousand workers quiet while they made the switch?

Hard Evidence magazine covered this a while back. Apparently all the boiler workers quit after they sailed it from the yard to where made it's maiden from voyage in Southampton. If anyone was going to know the Titanic wasn't a new ship, it would be them because they would have seen that the boilers and engine were not new. You can easily hide the old with a new fitout in the passenger areas, but you can't hide the truth in the boiler room.
edit on 15-5-2014 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I'm trying to hunt down some info on a man called 'Paddy the Pig' who actually claimed that parts were swapped between the two ships.

*Edit* Never mind, paddy the pig aka James / Patrick Fenton was a fraud. He was not listed on the passenger or crew manifest. Must have just been a senile old man making stuff up. The below vid of the survivors is pretty cool though.

In the meantime, I stumbled upon this video if survivor accounts if the sinking. They would all be dead now, but it dispels the myth that the band played while the ship was sinking

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
the location of Britanic is well known and has ben extensively dived and documented - the is no chance that it is not Britanic.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
It's great to see such an interest in Titanic after more than hundred years, but many serious researchers don't take Gardiner's "Ship That Never Sank" seriously.

For example, the Olympic and Titanic were not nearly identical:

Link1
Link2

The changes required would have been massive. The differences would also be noticeable on the wreck.

Betraying an almost total ignorance of ships and shipbuilding in general, Gardiner asserts that all that was necessary to accomplish this identity switch was exchanging those parts of the ships which bore the vessels’ names: name plates, bells, navigation equipment, lifeboats, and any interior signing bearing the name Olympic or Titanic. This, of course, completely ignores the physical differences that already existed between the two ships, for example, the completely reworked accommodations on B and C Decks, which dramatically altered the number and arrangement of the windows and portholes on both decks; the extended enclosure aft on C Deck, the different arrangement of ventilators, fans, piping and machinery on the Boat Deck; the difficulty in changing the shell-plating at the bow and stern which bore the ships’ names (the names weren’t just painted on the plates, they were cut into the plates in letters four feet high and one-half inch deep). But hey! It’s a conspiracy theory–why let something as mundane as facts or the truth get in the way of a good fantasy, right? One last minute alteration was made to the Olympic–supposedly now the “Titanic”-which was done to forever make her distinct from her sister–and at the same time assure that everyone would know that the ship which was to be sunk was indeed the “Titanic.” The forward two-fifths of her Promenade Deck (B Deck) were enclosed by steel screening and glass windows. (Just in passing, Gardiner also forgets to explain how this switch was to be concealed from the shipyard workers who were working on the two ships–some 15,000 of them–for that matter.

Link

But I have a feeling that this won't make a difference and people will believe what they want to believe

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I loving this and going to explore more.....thanks!

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

What a great plot for a conspiracy movie or documentary. I'll get the popcorn.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Sorry, but this idea has been completely and utterly debunked in every sense of the word. Both wrecks are extremely well known at this point and there is no doubt whatsoever that they are each what they are claimed to be.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: jaffo
Sorry, but this idea has been completely and utterly debunked in every sense of the word. Both wrecks are extremely well known at this point and there is no doubt whatsoever that they are each what they are claimed to be.

By who, where and when, how and why.
You know what would make your statement valid and valued? Anything.

I tend to believe this theory, it was a switch.
You have said nothing to convince me otherwise, nothing

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The two ships were different in ways you couldn't retrofit. Deal with it. The titanic sunk when and where it's said it did.

a reply to: borntowatch

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
What? You said olympic was 400 and titanic was 401 and then say the prop showed 401. Where's the discrepancy? 401 hull on the titanic and 401 on the prop bear each other out. And your post got stars showing poor reading comprehension of those who starred you.

r reply to: ionwind

edit on AMu31u0552053312014-05-16T09:53:54-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Records often show a lot of cancellations on voyages where there was a devastating accident. It's been seen on planes that ultimately crash over and over again. It's a weird phenomena.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Wow...Wooooooow! Great thread OP. Whether it's true or not it is something we must consider. Maybe we need to get James Cameron on here with an Ask Us Anything.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
What? You said olympic was 400 and titanic was 401 and then say the prop showed 401. Where's the discrepancy? 401 hull on the titanic and 401 on the prop bear each other out. And your post got stars showing poor reading comprehension of those who starred you.

r reply to: ionwind

When you consider the OP of this thread, if the Olympic had sunk, the number on the propeller would be 400.

edit on 16-5-2014 by ionwind because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
For information, just in case ya'll didn't know. Jack and Rose did not exist either.

On topic, i heard somewhere that the boiler serial numbers matched the Olympic and not the Titanic

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ionwind

If you had watched the video. Or even the first 15 minutes, you would hear the explanation for the 401. Supposedly the Olympic was fitted with one of the not yet completed Titanics props on the starboard side. Because the starboard prop on the Olympic was destroyed leaving NY harbor. Hence the 401 on the Olympic (Titanic).

I don't agree with this conspiracy theory, but they do have a theory as to why the 401 is there, and could/should have been there.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I tend to believe this theory, it was a switch.

What one piece of evidence convinces you it was a switch?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nola213
a reply to: ionwind

If you had watched the video. Or even the first 15 minutes, you would hear the explanation for the 401. Supposedly the Olympic was fitted with one of the not yet completed Titanics props on the starboard side. Because the starboard prop on the Olympic was destroyed leaving NY harbor. Hence the 401 on the Olympic (Titanic).

I don't agree with this conspiracy theory, but they do have a theory as to why the 401 is there, and could/should have been there.

I have watched the video, it's a great work of fiction.

It is unlikely they could switch the propellers since those on the Titanic had a different pitch than those on the Olympic, i.e. they were not interchangeable and couldn't work.

One difference was their propellers, or screws: the pitch of the two ships’ screws were different. This is, the size, shape, and angle of the propeller blades were slightly different, altering the amount of thrust each screw created as it turned in the water. Obviously screws of different pitches could not be used on the same ship, as it would create not only differential thrust problems for handling the ship, it would also create severe, even potentially dangerous, vibration.

Link

Here are some more differences between the two ships:

Titanic & Olympic differences

edit on 16-5-2014 by ionwind because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Do your own research. There are entire books devoted to debunking this lousy, ill-conceived idea. You CHOOSE to believe whatever you want, but know that you are ignoring facts in doing so.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join