It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photos Of People From All Over The World Next To How Much Food They Eat Per Day

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
An interesting article from DOSE There are 23 total pictures in the article, I only grabbed a few from there.

Photographers Peter Menzel and Faith D’Aluisio, who also happen to be married, traveled around the world and met people from all walks of life.

During their time with these people, they asked them to pose for photographs with their daily diets in front of them. The craziest part about the entire project is the caloric intake difference between people of different walks of life.

Marble Moahi, Mother Living with HIV/AIDS, Botswana – 900 Calories

Leland Melvin, NASA Astronaut, Outer Space – 2,700 Calories

Conrad Tolby, Truck Driver, Illinois– 5,400 Calories

Maria Ermelinda Ayme Sichigalo, Mother of Eight, Ecuador – 3,800 Calories

More photography from Peter Menzel

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
What a neat read.... Thanks. Read it during dinner no less lol!!

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ATSmediaPRO

People eat quite a lot more calories than I thought.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I'm a tad dubious of some of those photos...I mean, c'mon,
not even one piece of cake was represented. And only one
bag of Doritos?...a small one at that?

Methinks somebody be frontin', yo.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The caloric intake of the African ladies didn't surprise me much, but the trucker's intake was a little brow-raising. I already knew folks on the road for a living had pretty high-cal diets, but daaaang.

And the trucker's 2packs of cigs on the platter made me laugh. I guess to some people, tobacco is food.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
The caloric intake of the African ladies didn't surprise me much, but the trucker's intake was a little brow-raising. I already knew folks on the road for a living had pretty high-cal diets, but daaaang.

And the trucker's 2packs of cigs on the platter made me laugh. I guess to some people, tobacco is food.

I just had to post this... as well as make it my avatar.

edit on 15-5-2014 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Yep America (US) is FAT!!!!

SAD REALLY

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:06 AM
link   
The woman from Ecuador had mainly vegetables and one beverage. How could that be over 3000 calories. Not likely.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightningStrikesHere
Yep America (US) is FAT!!!!

SAD REALLY

Honestly I don't see how you get that from the article, the calories were pretty evenly distributed all over the world. They didn't show anyone who is fat.

The trucker with his huge calories was not even fat, maybe he works a ton during the loading and unloading all the stuff a trucker does besides drive.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: rival

So you eat cake on an average day? This has to be an average day count.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
The woman from Ecuador had mainly vegetables and one beverage. How could that be over 3000 calories. Not likely.

perhaps they are prepared with some kind of oil, that would do it.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Anybody else notice that their names, jobs, and location was listed for everybody except for that one girl? Her job was listed as "vegetarian". I didn't know you could get paid for that.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: rival

Who eats cake every day?! I'm glad only one of them eats Doritos every day.

I'm a bit surprised they didn't take the easy jab at American diets. It was actually a pretty tasteful article.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I was a truck driver in a previous life and I never consumed anywhere near what that trucker from Illinois does. With all the beverages he has on that tray he must be stopping every hour to urinate.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

Vegetables have hardly any calories, and even butter or olive oil has a certain amount, not exuberant unless you use a pound like my dutch friend's mother cooked her meat in.

Those veggies didn't all look fried so that was not the calories they gave.

Also the trucker eating all that fast food, I'm well aware that mcdonalds pads up their hamburgers to make them over 1000 calories, but a homemade one isn't

edit on 17-5-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The guy from Canada with two pots of coffee (with a bowl of sugar and cream), and 8 sodas shows how much of our calories can be liquid. It really puts things into perspective and makes me envision what my average daily diet looks like. Not nearly well rounded enough.

All people I've known from India have longevity and good health in their families so it was interesting to see about 2400 calories there, along what appears to be a good balance of food groups (although hard to tell exactly). The Vietnamese guy is smoking something so he clearly considers that a daily staple. I'm sure they have good life expectancies. It seems there is something about teas too. They seem to prolong a youthful appearance and longevity. Maybe that's just my perspective. It's also good to see our soldiers are being fed well.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Dianec

The guy from Canada with two pots of coffee (with a bowl of sugar and cream), and 8 sodas shows how much of our calories can be liquid. It really puts things into perspective and makes me envision what my average daily diet looks like. Not nearly well rounded enough.

Dianec, I just want to clarify one thing...those are beer cans not soda.

It is very interesting to see a days food spread out like that, I am surprised at how high some of the counts are.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

S&F for this thread.

Very interesting to see how others live. I certainly wouldn't want my picture in that book.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
the first pic is sick

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: YogaGinns
a reply to: Dianec

Dianec, I just want to clarify one thing...those are beer cans not soda.

It is very interesting to see a days food spread out like that, I am surprised at how high some of the counts are.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

Thanks for catching that. I've known people trying to lose weight that will go into a Starbucks and buy a mocha grande or another high calorie drink and not even think of how much that adds to their daily intake. I don't think people are as conscious of their liquids.

It's interesting to see it all visually, and to visualize our own daily diets. Sometimes I eat one thing in a day and other days I eat just a couple of the food groups. It appears that's not uncommon based on some of the images shown. Did any of them have a good balance of all 4 food groups? I don't recall seeing the USDA recommendations so I don't feel so bad now. I wonder where those came from anyway. People have survived a long time without following those.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join