It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Guitar Solos

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Dimebag motherf#@kin' Darrel. I had the honor and pleasure of drinking whiskey in an alley with this Texas treasure. I cried like a baby when I heard of his untimely passing.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Here is a nice interview with master Vai on the Zen of guitar. It's a little long, but worth it.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ImaFungi

This Jimi lick creation is in my top 3 of Hendrix songs.. (never mind the vid..)

John Scofield is also worth mentioning with his subtle and laidback UberJam. Btw... hear and watch it all, the drummer is something else too...

edit on 7/6/2014 by zatara because: of scofield

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
Love this track.

Cool work by Kim Mitchell.

Kim is now a radio DJ on a Toronto Rock station. His show is now prime rush hour drive time. Mitchell offers insight on other artist's music. He also jams with his musical guests when in the studio. Check out the one with Rodger Hodgeson playing "Give A Little Bit"

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This is a hard topic to chew on. There are are so many great song. My favorite guitar solos are songs that were hit records. Songs with lyrics, no instrumentals(even though I love Satch, Vai and E. Johnson). The solo has to be essentially a vocal extension of the song, short, sweet and to the point. Here's my eclectic list:

The Romantics' "What I Like About You"
Billy Idol "Catch My Fall" (Steven Stevens)
The Knack's "My Sharona"
Led Zepplin's "Over the Hill And far Away"
Ozzy Osborne's "Crazy Train" or any solo by Randy Rhoads, "Bark At the Moon, Lightening Strike", Jake E. Lee: "Miracle Man", "Mama, I'm Coming Home","Road To Nowhere", Zakk Wilde
White Lion's "Lil Fighter"
Shotgun Messiah's "Living Without You"
The Pretenders' "Middle of the Road"
Quiet Riot's "Cum on Feel the Noize"
Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Crossfire"
Eddie Van Halen's "Dreams" and " On Top of the World", I prefer Van Halen with Sammy Hager as lead singer
Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Freebird"
Soul Asylum's "Just Like Anyone"
Warrant's "Sometimes She Cries"
Steely Dan's "Reelin' In the Years"
Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter", "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
Boston's "Piece of Mind"
Night Ranger's "Sister Christian", "Still Rockin' In America", "Don't Tell Me You Love Me"
Rainbow's "Long Live Rock and Roll"
AC/DC's "Highway to Hell", "You Shook Me All Night Long"
Dokken's "Alone Again", "Burning Like a Flame"
Tesla's "Love Song", "Lil Suzie"
Firehouse's "Don't Treat Me Bad"
Rick Derringer's "Real American", ignore the Hulk Hogan imagery
Iron Maiden's "Wasted Years", "Run to the Hills"

For sheer Canadian contribution: Buchman Turner Overdrive's "Takin' Care of Business"
Rush's "Spirit of the Radio", "Time Stands Still"
Sue Medley's "That's Life, with John Mellencamp's Michael Wanchic(U.S. musician, but song is Canadian copyrighted)
The Tragically Hip's "Little Bones", "Ahead By A Century"
April Wine's "Enough Is Enough", "Roller"
Neil Young's "Keep On Rockin' In the Free World", the solo is Neil being Neil
Triumph's "Magic Power"

This list can go on and on, but it is only tip of the iceberg. Thanks for reading.
As Casey Kasem would say "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars".
edit on 12-6-2014 by RossWellOldMexico because: correct grammar

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: RossWellOldMexico

Yeah..wow.. you really gave this some thought. You got some great songs in there.

Star for you my friend..

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: zatara
a reply to: RossWellOldMexico

Yeah..wow.. you really gave this some thought. You got some great songs in there.

Star for you my friend..
Thanks for the star. One can accomplish alot with a case of beer on a hot summer day.

posted on Jun, 12 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Not really solos but 10 great and heavy riffs by Opeth....

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
To me this is the best I've heard. Jimmy was the master! Bonzo was so incredible too, listen to that drum groove at 7:06.

about 5:10 onwards
edit on 309Sundayam2014-06-15T01:25:23-05:00kSun2014110 by BlackDog10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
A couple those under a certain age and not from Europe have probably never heard of... The first features the guitarist Ollie Halsall on the Kevin Ayers song "Blue", who is generally accepted to have introduced the now common practise of "shredding technique"; notice how he could take a solo from pure speed back down to a gorgeous blues motif and then just slides back into top speed.

Then there's this one, not the fastest by any means however, the whole song is just packed with sublime guitar moments. Love the little stops he pulls over the pups. Bill Nelson with Be Bop deluxe, if you really appreciate guitar "technique" the album this hails from "Sunburst Finish" is an absolute delight.

Crying to the Sky...

And more recent a Bill Nelson instrumental.... For Stuart...

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Not the best solo I've ever heard, not by a long chalk, but I currently can't get this one out of my head.

It's Blackmore again from yesteryear.

Solo starts at 3:21

edit on 23.4.2015 by CJCrawley because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

You just went up a bunch of notches in my book!!!! Always loved Dimebags guitar work. Solo from domination is bad ass. Plus his pinched harmonics on cemetery gates. Hard to tell who has better pinched harmonics. Zakk Wild or Dimebag.

posted on Apr, 23 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Satriani - Bells Of Lal 2. Pretty damned good tremlo work.

In fact I'd offer anything from Flying in a Blue Dream.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join