It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senators gear up to preserve A-10 in FY15 defense budget

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

WASHINGTON — Retired Air Force Master Sgt. Eric Brandenburg says he probably never would have returned from combat in Iraq and Afghanistan if not for the A-10 Warthog.

The Silver Star recipient and former joint terminal attack controller stood beside powerful Senate lawmakers Wednesday and urged the Air Force to back off a proposed retirement of the aircraft, saying it is uniquely capable of providing close air support, saving the lives of American troops on the battlefield.

I have personally seen these bird in action. Their are 2 Military air field in Massachusetts and ever year they have a huge air show which me and my daughter go to.

They alternate between Hanscom Air Force Base and Westover. Every year they do a live A-10 run using junked cars and live ammo.

All I can say is JUST AWESOME of the fire power these planes have. I can see why the army does not want them to be retired.

www.stripes.com...

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Its not the A10 they are preserving, its that damn gun…

Language…

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Been a fan of this aircraft for years and years had the pleasure of seeing a few as a kid and remember the distinctive sound of the engines.

All i can say is i miss them from the UK skies but I'm glad to hear this warbird is being treated with the respect she has earned over her years of service to protect guys on the ground in their hour of need.

Besides the awesome firepower she can deliver, she looks after her pilot and returns him safely to base often full of holes and minus a few parts

I'd like to see people in the future compare this aircraft to other legendary US inventions like the Colt 1911 and the M2 Browning, as well as other warbirds like the B-52 and C-130.

No other platform fills the CAS Role with the kind of class the A-10 brings and used in combined ops with AH-64 Longbows the results must only be a true spectacle and a great relief for the guys that need this kind of support (often I'm sure in great danger).

So in closing a massive round of applause for what I've seen so far this year to be the best decision made by the US Gov.

M.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: murlock

I think there is a new black tactical aircraft in development and that explains the AF's retirement of A-10. See the other thread here.

The gun is fantastic and frightening, but today, there are very accurate SDB's (small diameter bombs) with high quality guidance.

Great against insurgents in Iraq, Yemen, Afghanistan, etc... but wouldn't last long against modern SAM's.

Personally I think they should transfer them to Army, Marines, and Poland.
edit on 15-5-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I love this plane. We have an armament museum here that displays alot of the retired aircraft, and current active duty aircraft, and the A-10 holds a proud spot at the entrance road to the museum.

What they need to do is stop giving Lockheed-Martin taxpayer money for essentially useless aircraft. *cough* F-35. I see the F35 flying almost every day, all they do is test it. Touch and go landings all day every day. I also see A-10's flying around a lot as well, I love the sound of it, and the look. Definitely a revolutionary aircraft, even in this day and age it can be modernized and beefed up. So cut the F35, update existing aircraft, and actually give a contract to an aircraft engineering company that truly deserves it.
edit on 5/15/2014 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Well done piece about the attempted murder of the A10:

foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com...

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
The only thing anyone in Congress has done recently that I support. Best CAS platform since the Skyraider.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Some our soldiers had a close call with an a10.

Love the aircraft just big beefy and deadly .. Love it

new topics

join