It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a question for those who smoke or used to smoke

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

Well I used to be a registered nurse until my mid-30s, then I accomplished a complete career change and became an investigator. I am a highly respected professional, earning 6-figures and looking forward to an early retirement

For what company do you work for? I want to know the name of the company.
edit on 15-5-2014 by danielsil18 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: danielsil18
a reply to: Expat888

I would like to know at what age did you start?
was 22 when started ..
No intention of quitting either and before you get started spare me the lectures that its a health hazard been a doctor working in war zones and disaster areas where most refuse to go for well over 40 years am now enjoying my "retirement" away from the insanity and idiocy of the human race ..

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: danielsil18

I smoke because I want to. I started because I wanted to, no other reason than that. I find it very enjoyable/pleasurable. Even for the first time, so your global conclusion of it not being pleasant the first time or at all is uninformed.

What is your motive exactly? Reading through your responses, you just seem to be validating your own opinion rather than learning anything from others.

You can quit smoking without waving a finger at those who still do.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

a reply to: schuyler

Another person that got emotional from it. Sigh...

Right there I meant that people dont choose to do it from pleasure. Their body asks for nicotine and they get the urge to do it. It's different from the decision of going to jog. Nothing in the body urges the person to jog.

How many more people will get emotional from my question?

It's not a matter of emotion. To claim I am emotional is an illogical "ad hominem" argument against the person rather than the issue. The issue here is your ignorance. People DO smoke for pleasure. You reject that idea, but you don't smoke. The fact is, you don't know. You've never been there yet you pontificate as if you do.

If you want to make a case against smoking as a non-smoker yourself you could easily gather the statistics necessary to prove how smoking is bad for your health from a cardio-vascular point of view. The statistics are valid and quite damning showing how smoking is truly bad for you from a medical point of view. You don't need to be a smoker to point this out.

You, on the other hand, are telling other people what their pleasure is or isn't. A moment's reflection by any sane person would show that stance to be absurd. It's not valid.

You're a virgin talking to people about the pleasures of sex.

To anyone who has had sex, the entire notion of you pontificating like this is laughable. Not only are you being completely silly, you're proving to the rest of the world how silly you are.
edit on 5/15/2014 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

LOL LOL LOL - you are really rediculous aren't you?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

where is this proof of cardio issues caused by smoking? Last I heard is that the relative risk of a heart attack for a smoker is 1.67 (167 %) and fails to even meet the test for clinical significance.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

please remember I don't want "statistical" proof - epidimiology shows correlation but no matter how strong the association - it is NOT CAUSATION

Statistics show that 98 % of all heroin addicts drank milk as a child. However, I don't think this proves that milk is a gateway drug for heroin.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

It's not a matter of emotion. To claim I am emotional is an illogical "ad hominem" argument against the person rather than the issue.

It is a matter of being an emotional person.

Those who didnt get emotional responded without any problems.

You on the other hand went on to cry about it.

I already told you that you got the point wrong.

I'm guessing you smoke.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
double post.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Tell me what company you work for since you are a "respectable professional who earns 6 figures" It must be a good company. I want to know the name of it.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

ooooh - another ad hominem attack - you are a smoker, therefore you are addicted and unable to respond rationally.

Its not the OPs fault that when he is told that smoking is pleasurable. He has been told so many times that smoking has no virtues, he simply can't accept the answer!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Tell me what really you have accomplished in life.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

OP - this is why you will never have any success as a doctor (even if you ever graduate and get your license to practice.

You are arrogant (refusing to accept that smokers experience pleasure from smoking)
You are ignorant and lack respect ( expecting me to reveal who I work for on a public web site???? Really????)
You actually and truly believe that sitting in a desk in some classroom counts as life experience.
You lie (saying you are physically active but never experiencing the withdrawal of endorphins
You are childish (demanding proof from others but providing none of your own)
You lack discretion (openly chiding people for giving you the wrong answer)

You lack real world experience and naive.

You are inhumane - you actually demand that adult human beings live their life solely by the advice of their medical doctors. You don't want to heal the sick - you want to control everyone. How they think, what they think, how they live their life ect.

When you get older - you will understand that no reasonable or sane human being wants responsibility for another.

Did you not learn your lesson from the Fat controversy of public health. How for over 30 years, we were told to avoid butter and to eat transfat. People like me used their heads and reasoned that butter was natural food, whereas hydrogenated fats were created in a laboratory. Others slavishly followed the advise of their masters.

Now you gotta know that 30 years of eating hydrogenated fats is gonna cause an increase in cardiac events.

Has anyone apolagised? Has anyone taken responsibility? Does anyone even feel the least bit bad?

NOPE - not a bit - they just turned around and started the toxic sugar campaign and kept their noses in the public trough.

That my friend is an object lesson - you just don't know what you don't know and if you are not going to take responsibility, then you have no right telling people how to live

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

a reply to: Aldakoopa

Did anyone in your family smoke a lot?

Beasically my question is if you were around a lot when someone else was smoking?

When I was growing up my grandpa was a really heavy smoker and one of my uncles and his wife smoked a little.

My grandpa died recently as well. He couldn't breathe well at the end of his life but he died from complications in the hospital after breaking his hip, non-smoking related.

When I started smoking I was around my girlfriend and cousin who both smoked cigarettes and my brother in law smoked a pipe, which is where I got the pipe from.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks
a reply to: SirKonstantin

This is called baiting. The poster will now proceed to explain to you how awful your decision was and continues to be.

Does anyone know why they started drinking coffee?

Does anyone know why they started jogging?

Why does anyone start having sex with a partner?

Its the pleasure and we all find pleasure in different things!

Actually I don't even have to explain how bad their decision was, you can read their responses by yourself. Anyone can see why it's a bad decision.

I also made this thread because I want to know why they made the decision to start smoking.

I agree that coffee, jogging, etc are all pleasures of life. But it's one thing to jog and another thing to smoke. Both lead two different life styles.

I would also disagree that smoking is pleasurable. People don't smoke to get pleasure from it, they do it because their body is asking for nicotine. That's a big difference.

It's one thing to do something for pleasure, it's another thing to do it for addictiveness.

Same could be said for the glass of wine (or 2, or 3) many people have after a stressful day at work. If alcohol was not the issue then why not buy non-alcoholic wine? It is a crutch in the same way that smoking is.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

You think i take your opinion seriously? Not one bit from someone who compared food and jogging with smoking. You dont seem mentally healthy because you thought that i was an employee of an anti-smoking propaganda working for big pharma, you are full of conspiracies. I do exercise every day, doesnt matter what you believe.

I'm sure you lied about being a "highly professional" earning 6 figures. Why would you lie, mostly because you are ashamed of your accomplishments. If you worked for a great company then their website would be in the internet anyways, and they would be promoting their name, no need to hide it. But you wont say it because you dont have one. I knew you wouldnt tell me and thats just what i needed because I didnt need to waste more time with someone who could be mentally unstable. No need for that.

I dont know why i asked a question in this website where some people join because they think the government spies on them.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I started smoking when I was about 13. It seemed like one of those forbidden pleasures in which almost everyone around me seemed to be indulging, so I found my step-dad's pack and stole a cig to learn for myself what all the fuss was about. The rush and the buzz almost knocked me on my ass, but yet I didn't get sick as many people do. In fact, I found the experience extremely enjoyable - relaxing, yet stimulating.

Alas, the lift that drugs give a person initally seem so inviting - then fleeting and virtually non-existent in the midst of a full-blown habit. Of course, I was aware of the dangers of smoking and took into consideration what impact a habit would have on my health & finances. But, as it remains, I still continue to enjoy this simple pleasure in moderation to this day. My health is great (heart and lungs are in top-shape due to Taekwondo), but I assuredly do recognize that a great many people let their addiction get the best of them, and smoking remains a major contributor to their poor health - but such is the nature of humans.

Do I wish I never started? No, cuz I live hard and fast, and without regret
& I can now maintain control over my indulgence without it becoming a compulsion, but this was not always the case.

Do I advise young people against the habit? Yes absolutely, but I am honest with them about my own habit - which makes for a confusing, yet philosophically fulfilling conversation.

Will I ever stop? Maybe - but the future remains to be written, and I can go great lengths of time without a nic-fix. I really only use tobacco as a means of reward and delayed gratification to myself - much like someone would use a glass of wine after a long day at the office.

xox,

-kissy

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Now I am holding my sides laughing. Of course you care about my opinion or you wouldn't have bothered to answer.

You just insulted every single person on this site. Yet somehow you say you care about their opinions when you ask why they started smoking. Could you possibly, under any circumstance, be more arrogant and dismissive.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

a reply to: rickymouse

Where did you read that nicotine causes an increase of insulin and not a resistance of insulin?

Here is one source, the articles on these kinds of things are a little technical, so I try to give a simplified version. I read about five articles about this trying to find the relation of my hypoglycemic spins from a big sugary drink being about the same as what a chew of snuff made me experience. There are quite a few articles about this out there, but they are true research articles. www.academicjournals.org... Here is another one.... www.sciencedirect.com...

Now it is important to say that everyone is different, depending on your diet and quantity of tobacco used, the outcome can vary. Lots of places have the opposite information, but most real evidence does show an insulin increase. Overdoing any nitrogen product is bad, it can cause afib like events. Nicotine use can also lead to malnutrition because a lot of smokers do not eat everything they should. Most of the bad publicity about nicotine comes from that last sentence. Nicotine does not replace the need for niacin in the diet. Often it shuts off the craving though so people wind up needing another cigarette every so often.

Always remember that people will interpret what they read by their beliefs. Although I do not think smoking is as bad as they say it does have many negative effects. I just don't consider it the root of all evil like lots of people do. It has it's place in some people's lives. Some people need to smoke so they don't need medicines while others do better by quitting cigarettes. It depends on the person.

If I didn't want to be studying and thinking all the time, I would quit. It is nice being able to think clearly. I only smoke about fifteen half cigarettes a day, so less than half a pack overall. The negative effects start to effect me if I smoke the whole cigarette, or if I smoke more than that. Now, I do not like to smoke where there is a confined space, I need lots of oxygen with my butt. I actually like when you can't smoke in Bars anymore, there is a time and place for everything.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Started because my friends(or people I wanted to be my friends) did.

So glad I started too. Smoking has been a great enjoyment through the years. Have no plans to quit and I'm actively fighting to repeal the ridiculous smoking bans. Much of the propaganda against smoking has been misinformation and outright lies especially considering the secondhand smoke "studies". We need to eliminate the war on tobacco and bring liberty back to our business owners and citizens.

If you haven't tried it - give it a go. It's relaxing and helps you focus. I see no reason for people to not smoke.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join