It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a question for those who smoke or used to smoke

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: danielsil18

OH HOW DISINGENIOUS

You never ever in your whole life ever thought that adult behavior could influence children?????

Isn't that the reason whatever anti-smoking activist group you belong that pays you to post these kinds of threads want smoking banned in parks?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I must add my experience on topic.

I started smoking at age 16 or 17, stopped once for a year and gained 10 kilograms, started smoking again, when I got nightmares, being smoking. So I light the first one after that.

Smoking isn't that bad you know. For example almost all old people that smoke, get way old, probably because of the clean air they breath for have their years on Earth.
Lung cancer kills lots of non smokers too, and they never studied how many smokers that got lung cancer, would have got it anyway.

Another good reason is that I might end up dying before I'll need to experience the drama of growing old and suffer from old age crap. I don't want to work to ag 75 either.

I'm basically doing the world a favor including paying massive taxes on it

The things they polluted ourt world with, like nuclear material getting dumped, spread atc along with all the toxic waste, and the individual safe substance that are save by them selves, are highlt toxic when they combine and form harmfull substance.These things effect us all. Causing more dammage then smoking

anything you want to say about my reply is welcome ?

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

And the body asking for cafiene is exactly the reason why people drink coffee

People do it to get an energy boost. If you drink coffee a lot and everyday then thats when your body starts to ask for caffeine.

And the body asking for positive hormones is exactly why people exercise or have sex?

Our body doesnt ask for "positive hormones" to have sex, thats a body reaction that leads to the release of the hormones into our blood stream.

When someone decides to exercise its to stay healthy. The body doesnt ask for hormones to exercise.

What is your point?

About nicotine? It's addictive and leads you to smoking, which damages your health.

Nicotine in fact offers a range of health benefits that are quite beneficial to human functioning.

The point is not if nicotine itself is harmful. Nicotine is an addictive substance that leads to smoking, which in turn damages your health.

Go ahead and feed me the standard party line about how smoking is a worse addiction than heroin and I will immediately respond by saying the pleasure is addictive as well!

Actually heroin is worse than smoking. But both are harmful.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I blame The A Team. Hannibal looked good smoking a cigar after firing off 1000 rounds without hitting anybody, so I started smoking cigars. Then went on to pipe tobacco, and later started smoking cigarettes because they were easier to get and more convenient.

Now I'm up to almost a pack a day, but I don't care. I've already lived longer than I thought I would. At this point, my only goal is to outlive my dogs and make sure they are happy and comfortable.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Why ask?
Just do it or don't.
Be your own guide and stop following.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

OH HOW DISINGENIOUS

You never ever in your whole life ever thought that adult behavior could influence children?????

Children as old as the age of 13. You must have woken up with your left foot.

Isn't that the reason whatever anti-smoking activist group you belong that pays you to post these kinds of threads want smoking banned in parks?

Not as much the the illuminati pays me. But my inspiration is to get the alien reptilians to hire me. They seem to pay much more.

Or maybe, just maybe, a normal person who is studying to be a neurosurgeon wants to know a bit about psychology through the direct responses of people who actually smoked.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Or much more likely than a neurosurgeon in training - a paid or volunteer puritan anti-smoker hoping to start a discussion on a public website on why smokers should quit smoking!

Occams Razor folks - which do you think is more likely???

A man smart enough to train to be a neurosurgeon but dumb enough not to have ever in his whole like thought that pre-teens could be influenced by adult behavior

Tired of Control

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Blastoff

Your take on this matter is very practical and logical, which is probably why you are having a hard time understanding why people start smoking. You will surely never be enticed into smoking, which is a great thing.

You got it right in the nail.

If look at it logically then its hard to understand why one would do it. You are also right that I would never start smoking.

But a lot of people just do things for whatever reasons.

Your list is true. What im more interested in is if there is a trend. Three people who answered first said they were young.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

You can smoke and drink how ever many times you want. My question is why did you start smoking.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Didn't wake up on my left foot OP - just really really fed up with control freaks and puritans who think they know what is best for me than I do, who infantilize me, who believe that I disagree with them then I must have mental illness and who believe they can punish me for not doing what I am told to do.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

I would like to know at what age did you start?

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I smoke because it makes me look cool.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: benrl

Why do people missed the whole point of this thread?

I never said people should stop smoking and instead use (insert pill here).

I'm interested in the reason why they started smoking.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

So WHAT if nicotene is addictive?????? like caffeine it has health benefits.

Its not nicotene you have an issue with - its the chosen delivery system.

OP - you stated "nicotene leads to smoking". Therefore you already believe that the ONLY possible reason a smoker would ever have to smoke is addiction and your initial post is also disingenious.

You ain't asking anybody anything - you already believe you know the answer!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: g146541

Why ask?
Just do it or don't.
Be your own guide and stop following.

Because i want to know what goes in people's heads when they start smoking.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Great Response! Star!

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

I started smoking at 13 with the rest of my group of friends, to look cool and fit in of course! Stupid! Stupid!

Quit for 2 years at the age of 25, then a friend passed away. While at his funeral I had an alcoholic beverage (I stopped drinking because drinking and smoking went hand in hand, ya know) and the rest is history.

Been smoking for 21 years and really need to quit, I just don't want to. Or I do but I'll miss having something to do when I'm bored. It's a cycle of insanity really.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I simply started because my friends always did. I was always around them and boom! It happens.

To answer the op. Nicotine is no more addictive than caffeine, it takes a lot of ciggs to get someone physically addicted to where it's near impossible to quit. Same with coffee, I know plenty of guys who need coffee and a lot of it, definatly not all of them smoke.

Anything will get you addicted to it when you make it a habit, it's much more a mental thing than someone needing nicotine, for me it wasn't that at all, it was the habit of lighting ciggs and enjoying the smoking of the thing, and yea you feel the nicotine but usually only in conjunction with other chemicals, or the first one of the day, a nice light head rush followed by chest pain lol.
I quit because I like pot more and would rather spend that 50$ a week on that, that's a fact and haven't felt better since. That's since September and I smoked ciggs roughly 3-4 years heavily but maybe 10 years since my first.

That's my 2 cents

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Sinter Klaas

I started smoking at age 16 or 17, stopped once for a year and gained 10 kilograms, started smoking again, when I got nightmares, being smoking. So I light the first one after that.

From those who responded, it seems they were very young. Our brain doesnt fully develops until we are 24.

Smoking isn't that bad you know. For example almost all old people that smoke, get way old, probably because of the clean air they breath for have their years on Earth.

It's not as harmful as other things, I agree. I also have relatives who are close to 90 and still smoke. But i also had relatives who died of pharyngeal cancer who, coincidentally, smoked a lot.

Lung cancer kills lots of non smokers too, and they never studied how many smokers that got lung cancer, would have got it anyway.

What we know is that smoking increases the risk of lung cancer. There is no denying that

Non smokers also can get lung cancer from pollution and because any harmful thing we breathe.

The things they polluted ourt world with, like nuclear material getting dumped, spread atc along with all the toxic waste, and the individual safe substance that are save by them selves, are highlt toxic when they combine and form harmfull substance.These things effect us all. Causing more dammage then smoking

Although smoking adds the damage, what you said is true.

I didnt make this thread to tell people to quit smoking. I'm interested in why those decisions were made.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: danielsil18
a reply to: benrl

Why do people missed the whole point of this thread?

I never said people should stop smoking and instead use (insert pill here).

I'm interested in the reason why they started smoking.

You claim logic, you claim to be a person of learning.

So I would hope that would raise you above the common internet troll.

Yet you can't extrapolate beyond "why do people do pleasurable things, despite detrimental effects"

You honestly can't extrapolate logically to Unreasonable people do unreasonable things.

Apply it to Food, Apply it to Sex, Apply it to Drugs (caffeine, nicotine,etc) ?

You can't take your "studies" And determine that Nicotine's increases the positive effects of dopamine and serotonin?

Which no matter the negative effects, I think someone studying Neurology would understand that we are all just monkeys seeking a pleasurable release...

SO, logic pretty much leaves me at Dis-ingenious troll post.
edit on 15-5-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-5-2014 by benrl because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join