My Unexpected Journey Down a Western NY Rabbit Hole

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: JarsCloutLife
a reply to: jaynkeel

I thought that chemical plant was owned by the VanDeMarks?

It has changed names a few times now from my memory, There are 2 different plants down there, one up on the hill and one lower down.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: jaynkeel

Oddly enough, yes I am familiar with both of those chemical plants just up the street only because my husband was approached by VanDeMark to possibly come work for them when they found his resume on a job website. He has 20+ years experience as a chem-ops. (He has not been in that field for 20+ years now) but his experience and certifications are such that he is sought out by chemical companies even now. He politely turns them down.

VanDemark claims on their website to be the only producer of phosgene, although if you look at the website for the other one they say thay work with it as well. Wonder if there is a link or parent company that owns them both. At any rate, phosgene is nasty business for sure, will kill you rather quickly if inhaled. And to think.... one of its main uses is in the pharmaceutical industry. Yuck. But this is a topic for the 18 Mile Creek thread I would like to do next, but worthy of a mention here as well.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MyMindIsMyOwn More than New York is doing these things sadly.The radioactivity in the Midwest USA would blow your socks off.
I have done some reasearch on these topics in the 1980's and decided then we are not safe.
Wonderfully written.
Don't stop what you are doing,we need to know whats going on.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: cosmicgypsy
a reply to: MyMindIsMyOwn More than New York is doing these things sadly.The radioactivity in the Midwest USA would blow your socks off.

I have done some reasearch on these topics in the 1980's and decided then we are not safe.
Wonderfully written.
Don't stop what you are doing,we need to know whats going on.

Unfortunately you are correct, NY state is not the only one doing these things. It is what I believe to be a serious issue spanning all across the country. Prior to doing this research I thought I was fairly aware of environmental issues along these lines and really all I proved to myself is that I was, and still very much am, woefully ignorant on the subject. I plan on changing that fact.

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a response, I appreciate your time.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Ok time for me to chime in here.I am the husband who was mentioned here. I was a chemical operator for 20 years.I have been through hazmat and hazwoper training for certification twice.I am also qualified for emergency response, Including spill cleanup,and search and rescue. I also have first aid training. I worked at a experimental resin plant for 15 years and for a precious metals refiner for 5 years.I have handled most of the chemicals found in these landfills, and been exposed to those same chemicals.This is the reason that I no longer work for chemical companies.

Back years ago when I was looking for a job due to a layoff cause my plant closed, I was approached by Vandermark chemicals to work for them. They wanted me to operate their phosgene operation with the understanding that within a year I would be the manager of the resin plant that they had planned to build near the phosgene plant. I'm thinking that this is why there are now two plants on Mill street.They are owned by the same company which is french from what they told me at the time. I turned down the job. Not because they produced Phosgene, although I did know just how deadly it is, but because of the way their shifts are structured.They work reverse swing shifts of 12 hour days for 3 days and then a 4 hour day. Every study I read on the effects of working this shift said the same thing. That this shift structure causes sleep disruption and therefore saftey issues. I turned the job down.

Now aside from 5 or 6 years I spent in Tennessee when I was a kid I have lived all my 60 years in Western New York.I lived, not too far from the now landfills along River road that have been discussed in this thread. This makes me uniquely qualified to know about these landfills.I know what was there before they were land fills.I have know personally people who worked at those facilities.Some of them are now passed away. Many from various forms of cancer.

The Ashland one site is the burial area of the remains of the Ashland refinery which was closed back in the 80's. The Seaway site was originally a part of the Ashland refinery although what they used it for is somewhat questionable. Some of the chemicals that have been found there come from sources other than the refinery.The ordinary industrial solvents like toluene and xylene were manufactured by the refinery and may represent the results of spills, or pre-environmental law dumping. However the presence of Methylene Chloride there would point to dumping by another local chemical plant just down the road that uses that particular chemical. E.I Dupont uses that material in their manufacturing process.I have several friends who worked there and are now retired. This makes me wonder if they were using that site for general dumping. There are also several chemicals found there that would indicate Hooker and/or Allied chemical.There used to be plants for both companies along river road.One way or the other with the addition of the runoff from Ashland 2 which is radioactive, we have a rich chemical stew going on there.

The radioactive material that was in Ashland 2, and was removed,came from the Linde plant which is just down the road from the landfill in Tonawanda. They were involved with the manhatten project during the war and those radioactive materials were buried in an area near the Linde plant which became a couple of holes for the golf course at Sheridan Park. That area has now been "cleared of those materials" and is again a part of the Linde property.Read fenced off and no longer accessable to the public. The radioactive soil all thousands of tons of it was dumped in ashland 2 and then was collected from that site and shipped off to Utah several years later.

There are several more nasty sites around that area that I know about, but it seems that the EPA and the NYDEC either don't know about them or are ignoring them. One of them is radioactive as well. We used to play there as kids.
edit on 5/15/2014 by lonegurkha because: negative brain energy

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: lonegurkha WOW! I am amazed you are still with us,not in a derogatory sense at all. I have seen first hand approx. 1 member per family per farm in an area of the midwest had one form of cancer or another.Some were easier to treat others were rapid onset rapid death.I have been away from the area for 21 yrs and was recently diagnosed with pre-cancerous conditions,this is the icing on the cake to nothing but problems since consuming tainted well water with seepage from nuclear run off.
I will keep you an others in your situation in my thoughts.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmicgypsy

LOL thanks for your concern.Aside from being a tough old buzzard.I have some knowledge about chemical exposure I got from my doctor that I have followed over the years.I won't go into the details as it's not really for public consumption.It may have future complications.It's also not proven to work.

The thing about many chemicals is that they can be stored in body fat. One of the things the doc told me was to be very cautious when losing weight.At the time of my exposure I weighed around 215 pounds.As I have gotten older and especially in the last couple of years I went up to 260 or so.The extra weight was effecting some physical damage I have so I decided to lose the weight. I weighed myself today and I'm down to 225.Now I need to start being careful about losing more cause I'm getting near to that magic 215.I do intend to get down to about 210 so we'll see what happens.

The odd thing is that not everyone who is exposed to chemicals get's sick from them.I may be one of those people.Just like with cigarettes not everyone get's sick from them.My dad smoked a couple of packs a day for 60 years and never had a problem with them (he lived to 93).

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MyMindIsMyOwn

Thanks for this post. It is amazing to hear what was stored around Ashland and that part of Tonawanda. It hits home because my parents are from there. My biological parents. I am adopted, born in Buffalo and grew up in Lewiston. I have passed the Ashland stink-zone refinery ever since I was a kid. But having radioactive waste is not unheard of. Modern disposal in Ransomville has one of the only truly hazardous waste reclaimation sites in the area. WnY was a dumping ground for lots of dangers over the years. As Niagara Falls was a highly industrious zone due to early electrical generation, the waste didn't go far. We had Hooker Chemical there, Union Carbide, Oxydental Chemical, Dow(I think) and others. love canal was just one zone that would be considered bad.

In my avatar to the left, you can almost see the zone you are talking about off on the horizon.

I miss the WnY area. Living in Amish country down in SE PA now. My son goes to RIT, as I did, so I get back when I can.

Keep digging into this area. It is worth at least publishing your story in the Niagara Falls Reporter, the local rag, which exposes issues like this.
edit on 15-5-2014 by bonaire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Wow, this thread hits close to home and my heart. I was raised in Tonawanda. My girlfriend is from Sheridan Parkside, the next block over from the golf course lonegurkha mentioned a few posts up. She had her thyroid removed when she was 15 and takes ridiculous amounts of medication daily for her health problems caused by the radiation in the area, Praxair, the Coke plant, etc.

Being the free spirit I am, I hopped a fence one night and cut through a field to expedite my journey to visit her. When I explained this to her, she freaked out and said nobody ever goes through there because of heavy radiation. I thank God that I've since been able to help get her out of that neighborhood.

It's definitely worth researching the history of where you live. If the rumors that our government raised acceptable radiation levels to accommodate the Fukushima fallout are true, that about sums it up.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I bet if u make an earth battery in the general location, you should be able to get a significant amount of electricity. Maybe they are making nuclear solar cells for space. he,he. Better to have that stuff up in space than down here on earth. I bet the waste has alot of electrons to give off. Maybe they also making batteries. Solar is the new and old tech. Heck, you can cook and heat water with a fresnal lenz these days, who needs an oven, water heater or electrical when u have solar energy. Solar is going to be huge. Transparent solar is now developed and u can collect energy thru your windows. I call it the stick on solar. Just another high tech factory probably, who knows what they make. Interesting tech these days, interesting to find out the new stuff. Don't get lost down the rabbit hole. he, he.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: bonaire

If you are from Lewiston and went to Lewiston -Porter school might want to get checked out. Thats the old LOOW site. Lake Ontario Ordinance site. Lots of nasty chemicals there, as well as anything from the manhatten project.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Wow MMIMO, good on you for all that footwork. Is there a city or town council you can take this to? I wonder too what illnesses are linked to exposure to those specific chemicals and are they prevalent in your community?

exactly ...

and make copies and send them out to all the news agencies in the state .. !!!! push to YT and else where ! Do it all like a ninja .. cuz' ...you're standing in the way of some major $$$$$$$$ making deals .. they're pockets are deep and so are they friends

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Hello neighbors.. I'd rather not say the exact name of the town I live in on a public message board because it is a really small town and everyone literally knows everyone, but you'll know it with this hint; It's in-between Lockport and Medina and has a really big factory sitting right behind the high school.

Anyway, yeah, let's just say I'm quietly trying to get my family out, but easier wished than done. I mean really, who wants to buy a big farm house meant for kids when that place is looming over the schools those kids will be spending 8hrs a day?

I also lived in Lockport on High St. years ago & heard all about the various plants in lower town.... And driving down Clinton St. in the winter.... yup, that was fun...

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
OP you did some amazing research, and for that I thank you. You went above and beyond what was necessary and you compiled all of your information in an extremely organized manner. Again, thank you! I'm in California and would love to be able to do some scientific research on what type of radiation/chemicals are hitting on pacific coastline and food chain.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
goodluck

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Ummm...It makes me wonder if that's what Agenda 21 is really all about...Protecting us from all of the contamination..............or protecting the rest of nature...from us and our contamination........

Things that make you go......................hmmm?

YouSir

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

You do know that phosgene is mustard gas - what they used in WW1 that made troops blind?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

You do know that phosgene is mustard gas - what they used in WW1 that made troops blind?

Holy cow... no, I was not aware of that. Why do I sense another sharp turn coming up quickly in this rabbit hole that is already so deep I'm not sure I'll ever be able to find my way out? Thanks for that little tid bit, I'll be sure to add that to my 18 Mile Creek binder for further exploration.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThinkYouSpeak
OP you did some amazing research, and for that I thank you. You went above and beyond what was necessary and you compiled all of your information in an extremely organized manner. Again, thank you! I'm in California and would love to be able to do some scientific research on what type of radiation/chemicals are hitting on pacific coastline and food chain.

You are very welcome and thank you for the compliment. I wish I could say it was my pleasure to bring this to the board, in a way it is in order to raise awareness yet at the same time I wish it was a happier thread outlining how the DEC (locally) and the EPA/Army Corps (nationally) really do have our best interests at heart and are working hard to improve the situations we all seem to find ourselves in no matter where you live.

I encourage you to do the research into what is happening in your area and let us all know. I for one would love to read about your journey and your findings.

Thank you for your time and response. Keep on keepin' on!

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: lynn112

I think I know exactly where you are talking about, and if I am correct, that factory is a big black eye to what is otherwise (in my opinion) a very nice quiet town to live in.

From what I have been hearing (and paying attention to around here) the thought to move from places we love because of the activities of those in place to protect us is becoming a common theme. Many are not in a position to take action on moving though, I know we are not even though we have discussed it.

Thanks for adding another local voice to the thread, I appreciate the comments!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join