It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Unexpected Journey Down a Western NY Rabbit Hole

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
The Start of it All

My unexpected journey down a rabbit hole started with a discussion during Easter dinner with friends about concerns over the new FedEx office/warehouse space that one of our friends will be moving into in the next couple of weeks. For those not in the western NY area, FedEx is currently finishing a building project in a much lauded new business park called Riverview Solar Technology Park, in Tonawanda, NY. If you are interested in a quick overview of what this is, here is the land developer’s website: Riverview Solar Technology Park

Now, on the surface this looks fantastic, and it is for a couple of reasons. First, FedEx will combine the resources and workforce of 2 separate office locations along with warehouse space reducing their footprint. Secondly, they plan to use solar energy for a lot of their energy needs. But I needed to take a deeper look into the troubled past of this whole area to fully understand her concern.

During the course of conversation, that was moving at lightning speed, 4 names kept repeating. They were Ashland I, Ashland II, Seaway Landfill and Rattlesnake Creek, as these are all located near the Riverview Solar Technology Park, next door actually. These names I used as my “starting point” in a Google search.

The Research and Findings:

I need to explain one thing before we get started down this rabbit hole in earnest. So far, I have not been able to find specific information on any parcel(s) of land that are now referred to as “Riverview Solar Technology Park” or the “FedEx Campus” within the Park. Further investigation using public land sale records is needed as well as a trip to the Tonawanda public library where there is a repository of information not found online. The information from here on out will pertain only to the surrounding parcels of land on River Road in Tonawanda, NY that have a direct link to the “Solar Technology Park”.

I found a rather good brief summary of the use of the above parcels of land on the Army Corps of Engineers website. (Ashland, Seaway, Rattlesnake Creek) FUSRAP Fact Sheet, Ashland II Site - Dec. 1999 . (FUSRAP referes to sites that received Manhattan Project waste)

While this particular link does not address the Solar Technology Park land specifically, it at least was able to give me a general idea as to the cause for concern. This page also gives a good view of the actual land area where the Solar Technology Park is located. Looking at the picture on the link above, the Solar Park is located along the left border of the Ashland II site. The FedEx complex would be located along the upper left hand corner of the Ashland II site.

The basic information on the link above is that the entire area was contaminated with radioactive waste from the Manhattan Project. Not only were these sites (along with many others in this area I have found) contaminated with Manhattan Project tailings, but after that they were further contaminated with toxic chemicals dumped/stored there.

My next stop was the NYSDEC (New York State Dept. of Environmental Conservation) website. Like any Govt. agency website this proved to be a bloated barely functional tool but eventually I found a report generator that led me to the information I needed.
Using this form I was able to generate reports on every contaminated parcel of land along the River Road corridor currently listed on the DEC website. Because of the way the website is setup, I cannot link to each specific report. It will only give a link that redirects to the main report page. However, if you use the report generator link above and populate the fields with the following information you can see for yourself what I am talking about. (You don’t need to populate any of the other fields, just the one’s listed below)
County: Erie
Region: 9
City: Tonawanda
Street: River Road

If you like you can take a look at them. However, I can save you the trouble. Basically, as far as the Ashland sites and Rattlesnake Creek, all the DEC will tell you is: “This site was once a very bad place but is no longer. We have evidence of fairies, unicorns and trace elements of rainbow dust. All is well”.

As for what happened next at the Ashland sites, well, the Army Corps of Engineers - Final Ashland Closeout Report was issued in 2006. By the looks of the Closeout Report, it’s fine for usage to a limited degree but more investigation on my part is needed to see the actual proposed future use of the site. What I can tell you in walking the property, is that Ashland II is capped, seeded and has vents protruding from the top layer with water testing wells in plain sight.

What concerns me about the above close out report is that while it addresses the radioactive waste, it does not really address the toxic chemical contamination or cleanup thereof. I believe I will be able to prove further on that there was toxic chemical contamination at the Ashland sites when we explore the 4630 River Road site.

For all intents and purpose it may be fine now, but I am still skeptical where large amounts of money are at stake for development generating millions (maybe billions) of dollars in the end for an area with a struggling economy.

Seaway Landfill is another matter entirely however. In 2009 the Army Corps of Engineers issued an ROD (Record of Decision) stating that they would remove a small amount of the radioactive material from Seaway that they felt was in danger of leaking from its present containment field at some point in the future. The Tonawanda town leaders hotly contested this demanding ALL materials be removed, no matter the cost difference in the 2 solutions. In an article entitled Nuclear Material to Remain at Seaway Landfill it outlines briefly this exchange in a public tit for tat. But the town has it right as does the NYDEC and for once the Feds.

I found the most current Army Corps of Engineers Seaway Landfill Fact Sheet dated March of 2014. Much of what is contained in it seems to confirm this butting of heads over what should be done at Seaway as it mentions the Feds, NYDEC and the town of Tonawanda’s opposition to their plan. However, the most astounding thing to me is that while all parties have known for decades that this is a dangerous site in need of quick action, none has really yet been taken. The Seaway Fact Sheet mentions that there are still uncapped FUSRAP (radioactive Manhattan Project waste) present. It also states in the “Importance” section that there are “elevated levels of radionuclides present that exceed Federal environmental requirement criteria”! Right after that in the “Consequences” section it states that there is “potential for long-term, adverse human health effects”.

So, when do they think that they might just get around to actually doing something about it? Well, they first have to do another ‘study’ and if funding continues at the current pace they should be able to get around to it in 4-5 years. Unbelievable.

My skepticism and anger deepens when you take a look at some of the other active cleanup sites that surround the Solar Technology Park property.

Of special interest are the following reports that should show on your list (if you ran one) except Site #915239 which for some reason no longer shows on my list, thank goodness I printed it while doing my initial research. Remember, I cannot link directly to each report, so unless otherwise stated the referenced reports below were generated using the form linked at the beginning of this section.

Site Code: C915258 – 4630 River Road

- This site is connected to the Ashland sites because it received run off from those sites in the form of retention ponds. (Reference back to the Ashland Closeout Report linked earlier)
- Also, if you read the Site Description portion you will find that some of the contaminated soils excavated from this site were taken BACK to the Ashland sites for “bioremediation”. Remember, the Ashland sites are now deemed “safe”. Nothing to see here.. let’s move along.
- Carries a DEC Site Classification Code of A, which means “we know there are big nasty things here and we are working on it”.
- Hazardous materials found at the site include: benz(a)anthracene, benzo(a)pyrene, benzo(k)fluoranthene, chrysene, copper, eythylbenzene, indeno(1,2,3-cd)pyrene, lead, toluene, xylene(mixed), zinc.
- Proposed use of the site: construction of 64 apartments with underground parking and marina facilities. WOW…
- I am still working on getting the Site Assessments on this parcel in order to get more information. That is proving a bit difficult. Wonder why…..

Site Code: E915225 & 915225 – Riverview Industrial Ctr. – 5335 River Road

- This parcel butts directly up against the back portion of the Solar Technology Park property.
- Carries a DEC Classification code of: N which basically means “we’ve done all we can, or care to do, and we won’t be responsible should you grow an extra appendage somewhere or become your own night light”.
- The report does not give specific chemicals pulled out of the site other than petroleum based contaminates. However, it does share a border with the parcel below where some pretty bad contaminates have been found. What is the likelihood of some of those leaching onto this property?
- Site Code 915225 states there is a significant health risk at this property (I suspect this one is the first report done) and Site Code C915225 states it is OK (most likely revised after some work was done there), but states that there is still residual contamination in the soil.
- **NOTE: This parcel is not currently associated with the Riverview Solar Technology Park, but it is my impression that once given the ‘all clear’ this parcel will eventually be annexed into Solar Park complex at some point. I say this because on page 8 of the Army Corps of Engineers - Final Ashland Closeout Report it states that

Several properties around Rattlesnake Creek have been purchased by ‘5201 River Road LLC’ to build ‘Riverview Industrial Center.’ Work began in September of 2005, and a road and culverts (for Rattlesnake Creek) have been installed.
. 5201 River Road LLC is affiliated with TM Montante, the developer of Riverview Solar Technology Park, as confirmed in this bizjournals.com article

Site Code: 915239 – 5565 River Road Site – 5565 River Road

- This site butts right up against the 5335 River Road parcel above.
- Carries a DEC Classification Code of 02 which basically states that disposal of hazardous waste materials has been confirmed, it represents a significant public health/environmental risk and/or hazardous waste disposal has not been confirmed, but the site has been listed on the Federal National Priorities List (NPL). (How a site can be listed on the EPA’s NPL list without confirmation of hazardous materials is beyond me)
- Hazardous materials found at this location include: 1,2,4 Trimethylbenzene, arsenic, barium, benz(a)anthracene, benzo(a)pyrene, benzo(b)fluoranthene, , cadmium, chromium, copper, eythelbenzene, lead, methylene chloride, nickel, PCBs, toluene, tricholoroethene (TCE), xylene (mixed), zinc.
- The site health assessment states:

The site is not fenced and persons who enter the site could contact contaminants in the soil by walking on the soil, digging into the soil, or inhaling dust from ATV trespassers. People may come in contact with contaminants present in the shallow creek sediments while entering or exiting the creek if trespassing on the site. Information on groundwater contamination is not available at this time.

- For further reading enjoyment is the DEC Preliminary Site Assessment - 2012 - 5565 River Road. Page 11 states that to the west is the Solar Technology Park. It actually states “further west” which implies it’s not really close at all…. but it is.

Taking all of this info into consideration, how can a site (Riverview Solar Tech Park) be deemed ‘safe’ when the others around it are so contaminated? How can a “safe” site (Ashland II) that contaminated another (4630 River Rd) with toxic run off that was then transported BACK to the original parcel of land (Ashland II) now be deemed safe? And what of air contamination when the other sites surrounding the Solar Park start their “clean up” programs (or even currently)? As for the radioactive contamination at Seaway in particular, well I just can’t go there right now. I have no words that can aptly describe my anger and frustration.

For me, it makes no logical sense to say one site is “safe” while the others surrounding it are not and have the potential of directly impacting the Solar Park site workers currently or when their cleanup starts. It is not like these contaminates respect property boundaries. Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill or are the fears of our friend, and now I, rooted in a real cause for concern?

Conclusion:

This was an eye opener. While I volunteered to jump into the rabbit hole, it’s clear that I have in no way, shape or form found the bottom. I’m not sure I even want to, but I will continue on to see where this eventually leads me because it keeps drawing me in like some sick morbid obsession.

What IS clear however, is that while environmental cleanup is of real concern to everyday citizens it is merely a buzz word to our governments on all levels (local, state, federal) who value economic growth over human protection. I understand fully that the Buffalo, NY area is economically depressed and in need to a good shot in the arm to drive growth. But at what cost? In the seemingly haste of these sites to be cleaned up to allow business/industrial/economic growth don’t they run the risk of another Love Canal to some degree in the future? Are they sure this time they’ve got it right?

I challenge anyone in NY State to just run one simple report from the DEC website using The Environmental Remedial Database Search to find out what is going on near you. I did, and what I found is a superfund site so bad they are currently in the process of buying out resident’s homes along portions of 18 Mile Creek, relocating them and are warning any and all in the area to not even go in the water. This area is a block from my home. I can see a portion of it from my front yard, but this issue could be a thread all of its own (if any are interested, I am starting to do a thread on this site alone). To say the least, I am absolutely dumbfounded.

If you are not a NY state resident and are interested in knowing if there is a toxic site near you then try this by state listing of Environmental Agencies on EPA.gov .

Just be forewarned that you may not be as prepared as you think you are to learn what is in your area…. I wasn’t.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
And those are just the ones we know about. There are many nuclear missile silos in upstate New York which dump and leak with no records at all. Maybe being my own night light won't be so bad....

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
And those are just the ones we know about. There are many nuclear missile silos in upstate New York which dump and leak with no records at all.

I know. In thinking on that very point while typing this thread, I'm not sure what scares me more... the known sites or the ones they have not yet discovered or ever perhaps know about but have yet to be 'concerned' with.

At any rate, thanks for stopping by and leaving a response. Here's hoping that none of us eventually start glowing in the dark!

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I had long known about pollution in Western NY having lived in Rochester when Love canal was being protested. I never dreamed Manhattan project tailings could end up so far away from TN or NM, that's insane.
Sounds to me like you have bigger concerns close to home. I'd be researching 18 mile creek to see how that might be affecting me and my family. Let FEDEX worry about Buffalo.
Good luck and I hope none of this adversely affects you. Very commendable that you're trying to find out what lurks beneath, it just might save lives.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Wow. Unfortunately, I have learned about these toxic sites the hard way. Through losing family members. We have a small town, about 1/2 hour from me, where my mom grew up. A plant they used to have there, destroyed the town, the water, everything, and the government has been trying to cover it up for years.
But due to the high rate of cancer deaths, from ex employees and residents, it is starting to gain more attention.

Too bad the government covered the companies rear end, and made them not liable for anything, including clean up, which was never done.

It truly is scary, what you can find, seemingly in your own back yard.

Great thread, check you messages!

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
HA What a small world. Let me guess you live in lowertown Lockport? All the while reading your thread I kept thinking to myself this is just another example of what us folks in WNY deal with were ever we move. That area on river road is all contaminated, and many don't understand it is right on the river which dumps over the falls which settles in Lake Ontario. This entire area of the state is one giant dumping ground from the manhatten project. But if I was right in my guess then our house is one of the safe ones along the 18 mile creek corridor, only my yard/house is less than 250 feet from the creek and you should see some of the interesting things we have found when digging in the yard. But the dec and epa flat out refused to even check it out last time I brought it up at the meeting on it.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Wow MMIMO, good on you for all that footwork. Is there a city or town council you can take this to? I wonder too what illnesses are linked to exposure to those specific chemicals and are they prevalent in your community?

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I don't wanna speak for the op but I have to say that the 18 miles creek site has already been addressed and many homes were left out of the remediation plan. Many angry residents here and crickets on the governments end. No one wants to help as usual and everything's fine if you know what I mean. Sorry very angry resident here.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Wow oh wow OP ..I think what you have shown here is that the bureaucracy has the ability to hide and obfuscate the things we really need to be screaming about from the roof tops instead of the threat that co2 poses on society ..good work on bringing this to the board ...S&F

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
I had long known about pollution in Western NY having lived in Rochester when Love canal was being protested. I never dreamed Manhattan project tailings could end up so far away from TN or NM, that's insane.

Isn't it though? I had no idea either until I moved up here and started hearing all the whispers about it. I knew of Love Canal (which is still a mess really) but never in a million years did I think Manhattan Project waste would end up here. I suppose it was a case of "better in someone elses back yard". Oddly enough, the radioactive material they've pulled out of here was shipped to Utah and Idaho. Who knows where what is left will end up eventually.. that is IF they get around to it.

Sounds to me like you have bigger concerns close to home. I'd be researching 18 mile creek to see how that might be affecting me and my family.

Already on it and have a binder full of information to process. From what I've seen in one medical study done, the contaminates can have an adverse effect on the endocrine system (among a host of other things)... just what I need. But I am on it, and like a dog with a bone I don't plan on letting go so easily.

Thank you for reading and the words of encouragement. I have a feeling I'll be needing all I can get!

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I am so sorry you have had to deal with first hand experience on this issue. I had no idea.

Honestly, at this point I am so hopping mad, angry, hurt and frustrated over this I don't have too many words to express my utter dissapointment at the total lack of regard for human life our government has for us, all for the turn of a buck.

I've come to learn in life that sometimes we come smack up against a 'calling' in life or a 'purpose' if you will and that sometimes that purpose is an issue that you had not previously considered championing. I think I've just found mine.

Again, I am sorry you've had to deal with this by losing family members to the carelessness of our Government.

Thanks for responding, it is much appreciated.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I don't know how far you plan to go with this but I've done some public organizing before (not community organizing) for different causes. We didn't have the internet back in the day and had to put flyers up everywhere which I think would still work well. Most public libraries have a room you can rent for cheap to host a meeting. I have a few more tips just in case you were thinking about getting folks from the community together)

good luck!

Eta: Be wary of contacting "environmental groups". many of them have been turned in to corporate tools and most at least have been infiltrated by people keeping an eye on their activities. Sad, I know but it's reality. Even the bigger name groups like Sierra Club have been known to inexplicably cave in to the demands of big business.
edit on 15-5-2014 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-5-2014 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: jaynkeel
Let me guess you live in lowertown Lockport?

HA! Small world indeed. You have my location correct, we are indeed in lowertown.

That area on river road is all contaminated, and many don't understand it is right on the river which dumps over the falls which settles in Lake Ontario.

Yes, River Road is contaminated literally from one end of it to the other. Honestly, I am a transplanted southerner (have only been here a couple of years) and had no idea until this time just how bad it was/is. I also had no idea just how close all this is to the Niagara River until our friends and I walked the property and I could get what I was looking at on maps into a clearer perspective. My personal feeling on this, is that I don't care how much clean up they do, this area should never be developed.... ever. I don't care what a boon to the economy is. But, not being a scientist, this opinion is borne of pure emotional reaction that is so strong that I'm not sure it would change if 100 scientists sat me down and explained how 'safe' it is. LOL (I'd probably tell them to stick it)

But if I was right in my guess then our house is one of the safe ones along the 18 mile creek corridor, only my yard/house is less than 250 feet from the creek and you should see some of the interesting things we have found when digging in the yard.

I can only imagine the things you've pulled from your yard, probably from the old Flintkote plant? *shiver* Nasty bit of business that. I'm glad your house (and ours it would seem) are in the 'safe zones'. The only problem is that my distrust of the EPA, DEC and Army Corps of Engineers is now so great I wonder if they really know for sure what is actually safe anymore. I did find information on the Cornell University website on how to have soil samples done for concerned residents (of everywhere, not just here). I need to read it a little closer but I think that before I plant any more of a garden I may just have to get some testing done.

I'm sorry we 'met' under these circumstances, but it's nice to see another Lockport resident chime in on this and I thank you for concern and response.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Lowertown??
My grandmother lived in lockport on waterman street. So what part is lowertown?
Some day I have to make it back there just to keep memories alive.
As far as the toxic dumps goes I think they are all over the state or at least there were many in oswego county also. Don't worry a place I used to go and play is now a superfund site I am still alive!

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Wow MMIMO, good on you for all that footwork. Is there a city or town council you can take this to? I wonder too what illnesses are linked to exposure to those specific chemicals and are they prevalent in your community?

Hey you! Happy to see you!

Well, to answer your question about the town or city council at this point in the game for the River Road area it's pretty much a done deal. Adding one more voice to the long litany of others before me, I don't think, will do much good unfortunately. I did make a binder with all of the reports, studies, papers etc. and presented it to our friend to keep. It would appear that no one at her current FedEx location are overly fond of moving to the new location no matter how 'green' the developers/town/DEC, whomever, tell them it is. Honestly, to hear her tell it they are all but in an all out revolt over it because they are not buying it either. My hope for her is that she can take the info I gave her to them, perhaps if they are as outraged over it as I am (and now she is) and have actual proof to back up their concerns something may be done. I don't hold out ANY hope of that, but if there is anything to feel better about in this situation it is that now, they at least have some tangible evidence to work with.

As for the health concerns, there are so many it's hard to know where to start. For one thing, a lot of the known contaminates are carcinogens which, I am sure you know, are directly linked to causing various forms of cancer. Some of the others on the list are known to deposit themselves in body fat and stay there until that fat is 'used' (as in losing weight) at which time it is released to wreck havoc on the body. Others cause neurological disorders, endoctine system malfunctions and reproductive disorders.

Now, keep in mind that this part of the research is still very much in the early stages, so my information on this is not terribly stong at the moment. I did however find a medical study that incorporates the areas of the Niagara & Buffalo Rivers along with 18 Mile Creek that concentrates mainly on the endocrine and reproductive systems and their reaction to exposure. It does not say for sure that exposure is the MAIN cause for increased incidents of malfunctions in endocrine and reproductive systems but does state that issues of people living within the study area are higher than that of those who do not live in the study area. The University of Albany study can be found here

And to finally address the last question... yes, a great many of these chemical contaminates are in my area. Specific to my area are DDT, mirex, PCBs, furans (not of the Vin Deisel type, hey you have to find some levity somewhere or you'll go bonkers), dioxin and a whole host of others. I am contimplating a thread solely on what can be found here in Lockport, an area that my voice may just be heard if I try hard enough. It will be a while though before I can pull that together.

Thanks for asking questions, I hope I've addressed them to a measure of satisfaction and I am glad to see you in the thread!

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
Wow oh wow OP ..I think what you have shown here is that the bureaucracy has the ability to hide and obfuscate the things we really need to be screaming about from the roof tops instead of the threat that co2 poses on society ..good work on bringing this to the board ...S&F

Thank you for the kind words. In thinking on this and discussing it with my better half, who has lived in this area for almost his entire life, I think that the cover ups, out right lies and total disregard for the populations well being is what get's my blood boiling the most. It's not bad enough that the dumping and whatnot took place to begin with out of an ignorance of the future consequences but now trying to make it seem everything is a-ok is just disgusting.

Again, thank you for taking the time to read and leave a note!

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I have to also add that you say your newer to the area have you heard of this place, Vanchlor chemicals? Right down the street on gooding st hill at the bottom near the train bridge. Wanna guess what they produce there? Phosgene. From what I have heard one of the last places in the world that does produce it, was used in agent orange from what I have been told. Scary stuff indeed. We have 6 kids here at our house plus me and the wifey and let me tell ya it's hard keeping kids from digging in the dirt or running barefoot but it is what was suggested by the dec and epa last year at a meeting. I love the history of the area, I mean come on this is where Birdsall Holly invented the fire hydrant, the locks and the flight of five, underground railroad etc. But our days here are numbered due to the lack of concern from our leaders locally. Who would rather line their pockets than put a stop to the mess...

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: MyMindIsMyOwn

S&F for you, I wish I could give more. This is the in-depth type of research that truly makes a difference on ATS. Keep going, I am quite sure there are more skeletons in the government's closets. I had the same basic situation in Oshawa, Ontario when they were building a kid's park/playground behind our house. I found the claytop was broken and leaking radiation using simple Geiger counter tests, then reported it up the chain of command and they did nothing, so we moved. The important similarities between your situation and mine is that no one wanted to take responsibility and there was little to no transparency or oversight.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle
a reply to: MyMindIsMyOwn

S&F for you, I wish I could give more. This is the in-depth type of research that truly makes a difference on ATS. Keep going, I am quite sure there are more skeletons in the government's closets. I had the same basic situation in Oshawa, Ontario when they were building a kid's park/playground behind our house. I found the claytop was broken and leaking radiation using simple Geiger counter tests, then reported it up the chain of command and they did nothing, so we moved. The important similarities between your situation and mine is that no one wanted to take responsibility and there was little to no transparency or oversight.

Cheers - Dave

Thank you for relaying your story of similar experience and words of encouragement. What is interesting to me, that while digging into this topic, is how often a Canadian source or study would pop up in my search. Infact, the medical study I linked in my response to Kali was first brought to the US attention through Canadian researchers in Ontario.

In this day and age it's a terrible thing when the average citizen of any country has to go to the lengths that you have done, Jaynkeel has done and I am about to in order to try to get anything done to affect change or even to try to get information to make a rational and informed decision on any topic really.

Oddly enough in the Tonawanda Times article I linked in the OP the Army Corps of Engineers representative said of the Seaway action basically "we'll cap it and will not be allowing any construction that will breech that cap to occur on that land for at least 1000 years". (Paraphrashing of course). I'm sure the residents of your area heard something similar and the folks at Love Canal can attest to just how long that same promise held true for them.

Good to hear your perspective on this, thanks!

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: jaynkeel

I thought that chemical plant was owned by the VanDeMarks?
edit on 15.5.2014 by JarsCloutLife because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join