It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calling all spiritual atheist.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Everyone is agnostic, whether they want to accept it or not.

The real "base" meaning of agnostic is : God can not be proven, or disproven.

There are many words that's real meaning has been butchered over time, agnostic is one of them.

Thomas Henry Huxley said:[11][12] Agnosticism, in fact, is not a creed, but a method, the essence of which lies in the rigorous application of a single principle ... Positively the principle may be expressed: In matters of the intellect, follow your reason as far as it will take you, without regard to any other consideration. And negatively: In matters of the intellect do not pretend that conclusions are certain which are not demonstrated or demonstrable. en.wikipedia.org...

Atheist has one meaning: lack of believe in a god/deity. It is not anti-god as it is only a lack of belief.

An atheist is not anti-god, because to be anti-god, you'd first have to believe there is a god. However, an atheist can be anti the results/actions of those who believe in a god.

Any individual who lacks belief in a god (atheist) can and do have their own personal beliefs. Those are referred to as "Atheist Philosophy".

An atheist's philosophy can be Spiritual, as long as it does not include the literal concept of a god.

edit on 15-5-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
According to my definition of God, its impossible to not believe in God.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I would argue that God can only be proven to one's self... not to another

edit on 15-5-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Then the individual is determining what they accept as proof. Is that not belief?

I also have a belief. I am a Spiritual Atheist. My belief lacks belief in a god. There is nothing tangible to prove or disprove god.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb

You are choosing to label your belief God. That label already has a literal religious meaning.

I sometimes label what I believe a "force". But, my belief explains why it is a force and how it became a force (again, this thread is not about debating my belief -- only in background to support Spiritual Atheism).

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Akragon

Then the individual is determining what they accept as proof. Is that not belief?

I also have a belief. I am a Spiritual Atheist. My belief lacks belief in a god. There is nothing tangible to prove or disprove god.

Mostly everything is belief is it not?

You have your beliefs which include the idea that there is no God... Which is also a belief...

Said person must obviously determine what is proof of God to themselves... Unless He comes down and slaps you in the face, that's all we can do

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

From that thread:

God is not a religion. God is not a man in the sky. God is not supernatural. God is the creator of life forms. God is an architect that shapes what we look like, not by an act of will necessarily, but just by the fact of what God is. So, the presence of God causes life forms to take the shape that they do and causes them to take shape at all. So we are because God is.

What's more is that my definition of God can be accepted by atheists as well. You can't not believe in God as I define God. I define God simply as, "that which is". You see? So I have irrefutable evidence that God exists because essentially, my definition of God is also, "the natural cosmic circumstances that led to the emergence of life". So if you're an atheist, and you believe in the past and you believe that you exist, then you believe in my God.

I wish I could do mental gymnastics like that. You're practically Mr. Fantastic. But no, in all seriousness, if that's your solution to atheism...hahaha, oh man. I suggest some serious revisions. Better yet, scrap it and give up. You're treating God like an outlet, plugging different definitions in until one shines bright enough to satisfy your ideals. Existence is God? That's pointless. You're basically saying worship everything. Oh, and did you know that's pantheism? Yeah, paganism. That's why they worshipped nature, and sometimes themselves. Good job, you completely ruined centuries worth of hard effort and copious witch burnings by returning Judaism to its roots.

One more thing. Acknowledging anything as being any kind of deity makes atheism...well, not atheism. So, yeah, serious revisions may be necessary.
edit on 15-5-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity
I wish I could do mental gymnastics like that. You're practically Superman.

Thank you for your opinion.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I wish I could do mental gymnastics like that. You're practically Mr. Fantastic.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

I edited. Wanted to elaborate on some points you could improve.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
again, this thread is not about debating my belief

Good, because if I've learned anything in my years on ATS, its that such debates are futile and get noone anywhere.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

points you could improve.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb

That's the rub. So many people have their own definition of the word "god". In your thread, you have redefined God (the biblical God) and made it into some esoteric "thing" that only you really understand and then claimed that it's irrefutable that it exists and that atheists believe in it, too... I have no problem with you defining God FOR YOURSELF, but you have no business defining it for anyone else (except maybe your kids).

Well, I don't believe in your definition of God. You've said that God is the universe. Well, I call that the universe, not God.

To clarify, I usually say I don't believe in the biblical God. Is there a "force", a "source", a "first", a "creator"? I don't believe so. But if I'm wrong and there is "something" that started it all, it's NOTHING like the God of the bible (my belief). And I have zero indication that there is an entity separate from us, so I don't believe there is.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Is there a "force", a "source", a "first", a "creator"?

a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

us, our, and image seem to put it pretty easy to understand, for me anyway.

Physicists create world’s first multiverse of universes in the lab

www.extremetech.com...

"For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God,
edit on 083131p://bFriday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

And I have zero indication that there is an entity separate from us, so I don't believe there is.

Me either. I don't believe in a separate entity "god".

My belief is energy based, that we are individuals of an original source of energy, individuals of a vast collective that's developed and evolved over billions of years in ways we can not even imagine.

The Spirituality part is that we are our own god, we are the creators of what we see and experience. Our energy input whether positive or negative affects our immediate "world" and the energy collective.

Every thought is an action you are personally responsible for. There is no "go to guy".

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Every thought is an action you are personally responsible for. There is no "go to guy".

Can there be a go to energy?

The Science of Energy and Thought. Subconscious Mind Power Read More: www.knowledgeoftoday.org...

I have this notion knowledge is imparted, and only so much given at a time, when we are ready.

And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

edit on 083131p://bFriday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

What is God?

I do believe humans are created. At least DNA manipulated by more evolved beings. For what purpose, I don't know.

Most humans still follow the animalistic behavior of survival of the fittest.

Perhaps Spiritual enlightenment is to evolve beyond that.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I don't know what god is, even the Bible says none can behold him, only a glimpse, could your creative force and spirit be the same thing just phrased differently?

we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:

If you think I don't know this about the bible, you haven't been paying attention. I know the bible upside-down and sideways. I was born into it and indoctrinated with it my entire youth - and can probably recite more verses than most Christians on this board.

But what good does it do to repeat what "God" said, when I don't even believe in such a thing? Who heard "God" say this? Who wrote it down? That's right. Man. I firmly believe that man made "God" in HIS (man's) image.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Many people know the Bible few of us truly understand it.

I am just trying to bring it into a different perspective.

edit on 093131p://bFriday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join