It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Im starting to feel a Draft...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I honestly don't see how the military can continue in Iraq or even contemplate attacking/invading another country without a draft. Not only are casualties underreported, but think of the serious injuries and mental health problems that are compouding each and every day. Every soldier put out of commission just makes things harder on the people that remain. You can't keep people in the combat zone indefinitely, and calling people back that had a very brief respite after an extended term is NOT good for morale.

I'm very much against the draft, just as I was against this war in the first place. But when you take a hard look at the numbers and the physical & mental condition of the troops, it's hard not to calculate 1 + 1 + 1 = draft.

Of course lawmakers are stalling on this. For one thing, it's political suicide. For another, they don't want THEIR children going to war. While I have my own doubts as to the intelligence of a lot of folks in Washington, I don't believe they're ignorant as to what will happen should the children of those who pass draft legislation somehow manage to avoid enlistment. And -- dare I say it -- this also includes President Bush and other members of the Administration.

So the real question is, just how bad do things have to get before the draft becomes reality?

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
There won't be a draft. Even if you had more than enough troops it would be madness to invade Iran and especially NK. Iran can be dealt with by air power alone. NK will be left alone completely - it would be foolish to start anthing over in that region.

I think some people need to calm down a little

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Curio Iran can be dealt with by air power alone.

Not to divert the thread, but I am curious as to how this is possible. I was led to believe that an air attack without ground support is ineffective.

bg

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by beergoggles

Originally posted by Curio Iran can be dealt with by air power alone.

Not to divert the thread, but I am curious as to how this is possible. I was led to believe that an air attack without ground support is ineffective.

bg

It is ineffective if your objective is to capture territory and hold it. However, if your objective is to destroy the enemy�s ability to deploy an offensive force or create certain WMD�s then it could be quite effective.

It�s also an excellent way to send a clear message to the offending party without risking too much on your side.

Problem is that we really need an extra division on the Iraqi border to push back any ground response from the Iranians.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Iraq by itself will never cause the US to impose a draft. Although I do think they will continue to bend the rules governing current enlisted to keep them in the fight. The wild card here is Iran. If there is action in Iran, and I think personally there will be, there must be a draft to support it. The scary part of all of this is we have a bull headed President in the office who never backs down no matter what with nothing to lose politically. This is a very scary time guys.

Bottom line: Action in Iran = Bush imposes a draft with little resistance from Congress

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I don't think a draft is likely at all. Any future world war will be nuclear and these little skirmishes with mid-east nations don't require much manpower. So where is the need for more bodies? Iran is best dealt with by a few cruise missiles to the nuclear reactors sooner rather than later.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
As a Viet Nam Vet and receipent of the United States Air Force Commendation Medal for rescuing a downed Marine Chopper Pillot, I think I fall into the category of being a Patriot. That being said I will council my son against being drafted or joining.

The reason is quite simple really, the Americas people are not worth dying for anymore. Thousands of Nam Vets still languish because of Post Tramatic Stress Disorder and problems from Agent Orange. Our government could care less and evidently most Americans feel likewise.

We now have a new generation of Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines who have been exposed to Depleted Uranium and some think tens of thousands if not more are among the walking dead due to the DU exposure.

Most Americans do not know and could care less but over 10,000 Veterans of the first Gulf War have died from exposure to "something" plus their wives, children pets, and many have had children born with birth defects.

As in Viet Nam, most Americans could care less about Veterans. So I say to most Americans...Bite Me! No more blood from this family...mine was the last shed for a people who could care less about their freedom and liberty.

I guess I have a major problem with a people so ignorant they would not once but twice elect such garbage as the Communist leaning Bill Klinton and Facist leaning Bush Light to the office of president.

Were America to be invaded, I will be there, old and slow, yet I would be there and fight as I best could. I will not fight for the Military Industrial Complex, Big Oil, Big Business, and the Banksters. I will however fight against them.

Ghostwolfemoon

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Ok, lets look at some numbers:

Number of troops killed in Iraq/Afghanistan: 2,000 (picking a high number here, just for the sake of argument)

Number of troops in the military: a couple hundred thousand

With stop loss instated, no one is leaving the military, and contrary to popular belief, there ARE still people enlisting in the service. At the moment, the military's numbers are more likely going up than down. In fact, I work on an air force base, and one of my friends was in a shop where they were actually pushing to get him OUT of the military (and not because he was being bad. lol).

No, we don't need a draft, and we won't have a draft.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Ghostwolf has hit the nail on the head.

Wars these days are for profit only, not to defend America against any real threat. People are becoming wise to this. Why should anyone die or have their life and health totally ruined so some oil company or military contractor make a few more billion ?

If America faced a REAL threat, the recruiting centres will be jammed packed solid with volunteers.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I dont think anybody here would dissagree with Ghost. I think we all FEEL that way. But the questions being posted on these boards are what IF there was a draft. Not SHOULD there be a draft. I dont believe in this war either and Ghost did as good of job stating my sentiments (mostly) as anybody could. The problem I have is my fellow buds. You and me. The guy down the street and the kid at the market. I couldnt sleep at night knowing these guys got drafted and went to some place taking bullets for me (and not by choice) while I stay home and safe. Although I am out of the running (I think), I would go if asked. Not for Dubya, not for America, but to help my peers have a better chance of coming home.

Im not trying to sound brave or trying to sound like some wierd hero. But its my gut and conscience talking. How could I look somebody who went when asked in the eyes afterwards? I couldnt do that. Couldnt sleep at night knowing that some kid who would rather be playing football or hanging out with his sweetheart its getting shot at against his will in some hell hole someplace. While I sat back and watched.

I think its best just to hope there isnt a draft and make sure our politicians understand we dont want it. And like Ghost said: If its fighting for your country its a no brainer, but this coorporate war stuff is bogus.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 01:23 PM
link   
This is all false just more independent news sites
twisting the logical process of things to look like
conspiracy

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
i ''feel'' in time there will be one .

kerry was going to put one in but the bush dynasty is full of liars . so it makes me feel one was going to be put with either pres. but bush is a liar .

<< 1   >>

join