It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3-D printed hand lets Haitan boy play catch for the first time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Truly amazing.....I think 3-D printing is yet to take humans to unexplored heights only limited by one's imagination. A boy in Haiti has received a 3-D printed prosthesis through missionary work being done in Haiti...

But after he met John Marshall, a software engineer on a mission trip to Haiti for Florida-based Food for the Poor, his prospects changed. After months of work to perfect the design, a 3-D prosthesis was fitted to his left hand last month.

"It is a great hand," Stevenson says, ticking off his list of accomplishments. "Now I can take a balloon with it. I can score at basketball. I can hold a TV remote and push my friends on their wheelchairs. I can hold a water bottle, a bag. I like it a lot."

3D printing is going to open may doors and new frontiers for humans. It will really change things here on Earth through its many applications and turn the manufacturing sector upside down. Wow, just............wow! It's gonna be a whole new ballgame because of 3D printing. What says ATS?

www.nbcnews.com...
edit on 14-5-2014 by lostbook because: typo

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Amazing indeed!! The possibilities are endless, lets just hope it mainly used for good and not to print guns by the millions or anything like that!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldwatcher
Amazing indeed!! The possibilities are endless, lets just hope it mainly used for good and not to print guns by the millions or anything like that!

Well, too late for that. Wasn't someone arrested just last week over a 3-D printed gun?

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Interesting .. will have to look into getting a 3d printer if can make prosthetic limbs with them as theres alot of people that need them around here due to having lost limbs to old unexploded landmines ..

Thanks for posting this information ..

Good to see new tech that is actually useful for something good ..

S&F

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

....turn the manufacturing sector upside down. Wow, just............wow! It's gonna be a whole new ballgame because of 3D printing.

No kidding wow. Completely new ballgame - manufacturing alone (and shipping, warehousing, etc), from electronics to fashion and housewares. What will our new corner stores look like? A few printers, a pile of raw materials, another pile of stuff to recyle?

....Will we get a discount if we bring our own 'patterns' on a flash drive, plus materials to recycle and use in the printer?

edit on 14/5/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldwatcher

Are progressive nut jobs always looking for a way to push an agenda or is it just me. Why not talk about the truly lovely story?

It makes your cause look weak playing games like this.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

Why don't you talk about the story - and it's implications for the future?

Either positive or negative?

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

....turn the manufacturing sector upside down. Wow, just............wow! It's gonna be a whole new ballgame because of 3D printing.

No kidding wow. Completely new ballgame - manufacturing alone (and shipping, warehousing, etc), from electronics to fashion and housewares. What will our new corner stores look like? A few printers, a pile of raw materials, another pile of stuff to recyle?

....Will we get a discount if we bring our own 'patterns' on a flash drive, plus materials to recycle and use in the printer?

I don't know. Good question though.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

originally posted by: soficrow

I don't know. Good question though.

I thought so. My head spins when I think about the implications of 3-D printing - the economic, social and cultural effects will be astounding. Not sure why ATS isn't into this thread - it's a great thought experiment, not so far in the future either.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Yes. With 3-D printing we are on the verge of a new world. It will open new doors to new ways of thinking and new ways of doing things. You can 3-D print anything, even food. It's got me and you excited, at least.

top topics

join