It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Research Suggests We Unconsciously React to Events Up to 10 Seconds Before They Happen

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Or: it simply means that maybe there are no such things as accidents, at a subconscious level.

And that sometimes it is someone's time to die.

There are many things humans have done for millennia, and should be able to do healthily, but due to issues with physical or psychological health (or both) don't. Like a mother sleeping through rolling over on her infant or something. Nobody should be that messed up health-wise. Some people are.

Well, we'd all probably get a lot more out of the innate survival-instinct of physiological precognition except that for most people, not only does health probably play some interference role, but a culture-wide life-long knee-jerk disbelief in psi's possibility probably does too.

I've had a ridiculous number of precognitive events in my life, from dreams to simply awareness of something just before it occurred. Most were pretty boring to be honest. But there's been enough, repeatedly, to convince me there's probably something to it. And there's been enough, when I became aware just the moment before something was happening and was also aware that some part of me was intentionally ignoring it, to convince me there's probably many underlying reasons why not everyone is aware of things, even threatening things.

And from the larger philosophical corner, most people don't want to know. Nobody wants to be responsible for what is in their life. Everyone wants to believe that everything is an accident, and has no meaning and no relationship to them, and bad things just fell out of the stars onto them for no reason whatever and they were helpless. Nobody wants the kickback of responsibility for one's reality that you get when you realize that "on some level" you KNEW what was going to happen seconds before it did -- and hence could have prevented it.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

It can take up to 10 seconds for your immediate memory to allow you to consciously experience. This means that everything that is occurring around you has actually occurred already and you are experiencing it all as immediate memory. It's an aspect of your brain's function as the data processing center of your corporeal survival system. If not for that slight delay in conscious experience of external stimuli, your capacity to recognize any of what you're experiencing would be nonexistent. Your brain needs the quick instant of time to process the input and align it with what your memory contains that can be used to identify and associate each instant of external stimuli. For some folks, it can take as long as 10 seconds (as established in those famous European 2008 fMRI studies) or as short as a half second.

This isn't proof of anything but that your brain is not magic, and that Time does actually exist, and that it takes time for your brain to prepare input and make it possible for you to consciously address that input.
edit on 6/10/2014 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I think if this was true, there would be no such thing as car accidents.

On the contrary, I can think of several incidents where such unintended foresight has SAVED me from being in them.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I believe it's quite simple. All that has ever happened has already happened and your mind remembers a little bit of what has already happened and recognizes it as such. There is only now. It's too bad we can't know more, maybe. That's just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: NorEaster

Even more simply, consciousness is a perception which is the result of complex calculations which take time. When you "think" you had a thought, it is after it is all done.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Ok, bear with me. It's becoming more accepted that the possibilty exists that the universe is multi-dimentional. It may be possible that there are other timelines existing that differ from our own only very slightly. There may be timelines that are only 1-10 seconds ahead of the timeline we are in now. If this is so, it may be possible that we have some kind of mental connection that we are yet to understand with our 'other' selves in those timelines.
Imagine, you just dropped a cup and smashed it. Now, another version of you in a different timeline is just about to do the same thing, 'but' has a sense somehow from the 'other' you that dropped it and are somehow aware 'subcontiously' that the cup is going to drop and react quickly enough to stop it from happening. How many times have you reacted to something instinctively and thought, wow, how did i do that ? perhaps you already knew it was going to happen because it actually did, in another timeline.
This may also explain feelings of deja-vu perhaps. Maybe even dreams come from other timelines. It would explain many strange occurances.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join