It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marital rape is officially legal in India

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

A judge in India has officially confirmed that rape laws do not apply to married couples — once you’re legally wed, forced sex is no longer a crime.

What’s especially chilling is that the judge, Virender Bhat, was hearing a case in which a woman alleged she had been drugged, then forced to marry, and then raped

India, once again at the forefront of women abuses.

Rape legally doesn't apply in marriage, as a recent ruling has determined.

Even if the marriage was apparently non-consensual...

The prosecutrix (the wife) and the accused (Vikash) being legally wedded husband and wife, and the prosecutrix being major, the sexual intercourse between the two, even if forcible, is not rape and no culpability can be fastened upon the accused.

It should be noted that this could be due to the cultural nature of marriage in india, though Cultural should never be an excuse for human rights violations.

Marital rape is officially legal in India

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
It should be noted that this is more of an Upholding of existing stances on rape in marriage, and has been legally allowable.

The disturbing nature of this case being that the women was drugged and forced into the marriage that the judge is throwing out the claim of Rape.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: benrl

And this is why I will not raise children in this world... It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
You can rape your wife but not eat a cow....that's one messed up culture.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
What comes around goes around ...
time to take that head dress off and show your mans whose been working out all day!!!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Well you are talking about a place not just were women have no rights, but even for a family it's a luxury to have daughters, and since the 80's when women could know the sex of their babies before they are born, there have made sexual selection of births, and only rich families care to have a baby girl. So right now in India Pakistan, Afeganistan, China,...... Most muslim and hindu countries, have whole cities with just men, cities and villages with no girls/women. So it's obvious sex crimes are something so usual in those countries.

edit on 8234531x0000004601pm531 by Bitxushanty because: Bad English writing

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Just to show what a joke the United Nations is, here is a list of the Nation States on their so called "Human Rights Council"!

Here is the link to the list of those countries. Notice India is on it and their seat expires this year. I wonder if it will be renewed!

Also to note, take a gander at some of the OTHER countries on this committee.......

United Nations Human Rights

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Love this nonsense.

Reminds me of this:

Religious or cultural loopholes to justify your own immoral/unethical behavior.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
When Indian women start strapping it on and forcing it on their men, they may change their tune....and quickly.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: LeatherNLace
What women? only if the ocidental world realy does something, odious sex crimes happen every day in India, and pakistan, rapes that lead to death, the violation of children.....

edit on 8451731x0000005802pm531 by Bitxushanty because: Bad English writing

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Disgusting! Wives in India haven't got the right to say no? If they believe marriage is sacrosanct, shouldn't they promote mutual respect instead of forcing women to be at their husband's whim?

Being raped or sexually assaulted by somebody you love and trust can be even more traumatic than at the hand of a stranger.

This is such a violation of women's human rights.....let see if the UN says anything about it.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Well thats messed up.

Want to rape somone? Fill out there forms and then force yourself on them.

I...... dont know what to say, thats beyond messed up.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I have 2 beautiful daughters, and any form of abuse on women bring me to tears.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Maybe, instead of insisting that everything in the world is "rape culture" here in the US, our feminists ought to go over there and start fighting a real fight where it's definitely needed. There are plenty of women in Middle Eastern and Asian countries who could use someone to educate their men on what "rape culture" actually is.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
As horrible as this is it can go both ways. I have seen some big ugly burly Indian woman who could most definatly put there husband in check.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Marital rape was still legal in Britain up until 1998 I think it was.It was obviously frowned upon before that but was officially made illegal by the new Labour government of the time.
Just thought I'd throw that in so that we know it isn't just 'backward brown people' who still practice this.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadieLyberty
What comes around goes around ...
time to take that head dress off and show your mans whose been working out all day!!!

I agree with you, and some brass knuckles and bear spray along with some good muscle training and martial arts, should be something all parents there should ensure their daughters get.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Maybe, instead of insisting that everything in the world is "rape culture" here in the US, our feminists ought to go over there and start fighting a real fight where it's definitely needed. There are plenty of women in Middle Eastern and Asian countries who could use someone to educate their men on what "rape culture" actually is.

Well its less than 50 years ago that this was still practiced in the Western world!

"With a few notable exceptions it was only during the past 30 years when

most laws against marital rape have been enacted. Eastern Europe and

Scandanavia made spousal rape illegal before 1970, but other countries in

Western Europe and the English speaking Western world outlawed it much

later ... mostly in the 1980's and 1990's.

Lawmakers have continued to be reluctant to intervene in the issue of rape

in marriage based on the idea that it was undesirable to interfere with

the 'privacy' of a married couple, and that marriage as an institution had

to be 'protected' from outside intervention.

source
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: glen200376
Marital rape was still legal in Britain up until 1998 I think it was.It was obviously frowned upon before that but was officially made illegal by the new Labour government of the time.
Just thought I'd throw that in so that we know it isn't just 'backward brown people' who still practice this.

Why is that year interesting? In Tennessee - up until 2005 at least - marital rape could not be prosecuted unless it involved a weapon or serious bodily harm. In other words, it was legal in the majority of cases.

So, it's not really fair to say that India is that far behind the US...

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Supporting that is like supporting rape overall. How are the abusers ever going to see it is wrong to do that if it is legal in part of the culture?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join