It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Booby traps in the National Forest

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
[align=center]
[/align]

From News 7 Denver

DOUGLAS COUNTY, Colo. - Officials with the Pike National Forest are confirming that a dangerous, improvised-spike strip was found on a trail in the Rampart Range area.

"The wire spikes were buried in the trail bed so that wheeled vehicles would be damaged and unsuspecting hikers could be injured," according to officials with the Pike National Forest.

"The booby trap caused 5 flats on 3 bikes and the riders getting out after dark," the posting said. "One rider suffered an ankle injury in a fall due to a flat front tire."

The news was first spread threw the Adventures Rider Group Message board.

Bobby traps in the forest are nothing new. Something that's been going on for as long as I've been alive.
Yeah some of these are set up by drug growers trying to keep people away from their crops,
but just as often you see bad people setting up traps just because they think it'll be cool or funny to see someone get hurt!

Home made spike strips are bad enough but we've seen worse!

Not all that long ago we had someone go around setting up piano wire or fishing line at neck height along riding trails. Damn fool could have taken someone's head clean off!

Then there was this guy.

Luckily he was caught and convicted... Why'd he do it?
Just for the grins and giggles.

Over in Utah a couple years back they found that some unknown person had set up homemade shotgun shell landmines along a hiking trail. thankfully a heavy rain had washed them out of the grown so no one stepped on one.

Look I'm not saying, stay out of the woods... I want you and your families to get outdoors and have fun.
But I also ask you keep your eyes open, pay attention, if it doesn't look right, it's probably been tampered with.

Just stay safe k?

edit on 14-5-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
WOW…in my 28 years on this planet I have never come across any of this. I am no stranger to hikes and the outdoors either. This is the type of thing that makes me wanna walk beside the trail from now on. I have seen plenty of manuals on booby traps as well which troubles me only because of the people you mention who get their kicks off sick pranks that hurt innocent people. Thank you for bringing this up I hope this saves many feet on the trail.
edit on 14-5-2014 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Fish hooks in the trees are also nasty, very hard to see

Something simple as bamboo can be very nasty

covering them in fesses make them more effective.

When you live in isolated areas you may think you own the place an feel you need to protect it from invaders, your brain makes you feel everyone that goes around those parts are evil going after you. cannot say i have set traps like that but the paranoia made me look how to make a few
i got encounter feelings about them
does want to protect what is mine makes me a bad person? i guess it do
edit on 14-5-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Geez...that spike ball and the ammo rigs look really nasty. That is pretty depraved right there.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise that this kind of thing is happening.
I mean we live in a world with school shooting's, kidnappings, drive-by and road rage.

This is just one more aspect to how mean and vicious some folks can be.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps
I didn't see the word 'ecoterrorist' mentioned anywhere in the news article.

Not saying it is the work of ecoterrorists, but it is a national forest and the target was wheeled vehicles.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Here's my take.

I learned how to make some rather nasty IED's during my two tours in Afghanistan.

when I say nasty I of course mean exceedingly lethal---

So why don't I do it, cover my property with antipersonnel traps?

Frankly if I did, I just know one day I would forget I put a trap somewhere and set the damn think off myself...

No thank ya... there's enough dangers in this life for me to worry about without adding a few more threats of my own devise

+1 more 
posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I've got a booby trap. It's my silver tongue and handsome physique. Caught lots of boobies in my day. I would call those spiked things anti-boobie. Chicks don't dig painful injuries, based on my knowledge. Those folks need a good ass beating.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Pikes Peak is not what you'd call a pristine wilderness area.

it's best known for the hill climb race to the top.
Biking and off-road trails abound.

They don't say where on the mountain he did this... But I'm guessing they set it up in a place to do the most damage to a passing rider

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I know it seems crazy, but at the time I lived in a very isolated area, in a country rapidly decaying when it went from being just rob to being killed for a cellphone with 10 shots to the head, in what it seemed to get quickly heading to a civil war.

Where i was was very high in the mountains and before no one went there, it was too hard to go walking, them Chinese bikes came and were so cheap that anyone could make the trip. 25 years we were there without an incident, then one night with us there they enter a building 100 yards from the house and steal some things. if they enter the house what keep them from killing us? no one will help us there, you are on your own.

A hook in the face wont kill you, but in the middle of nowhere bleeding and in pain may want you leave as soon as you can.

As I said, its not something nice, its crazy sick, but if you feel threaten paranoia makes you justify many things. I not proud for considering it but what good is pride if my family get murdered by some stoned guys that want to be able to buy more the easy way

edit on 14-5-2014 by Indigent because: many mispellings

edit on 14-5-2014 by Indigent because: you get the idea...

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
This is exactly what the ecoterrorists detest happening to a National Forest.

Some want to ban horse trails.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
ugh why would people do this

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
This is exactly what the ecoterrorists detest happening to a National Forest.

Some want to ban horse trails.

Yeah but they set it up on a bike/hiking trail.
that's every bit as low impact as a horse trail.

if it was an ecoterrorist they could have picked a lot better place to make their statement.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I never claimed they were smart.
But some are extreme to the point of doing things like this to get the stray dirt bike.
ETA: I have driven full size pickup trucks on the Appalachian trail.

edit on bu312014-05-14T11:16:36-05:0011America/ChicagoWed, 14 May 2014 11:16:36 -050011u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: uninfluenced
ugh why would people do this

Because sadly this world is just full of mean sick twisted individuals who like to cause pain and suffering.
Defending yourself is one thing... setting up totally indiscriminate traps... now that borders on evil.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I've driven my "Toy" the full 22 miles of the Rubicon Trail.

thank god there were no booby traps there...

That would be a very long walk home

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
there is also the idea that this is a fed thing
they don't want folks in the woods either
and what a great excuse this type of thing makes for a greater police presence
or an out right no go zone

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Some truly sick individuals out there maiming people for kicks.And using these beautiful parks to do so angers me.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Danbones

I've never known the feds to be that subtle.
Oh I've seen them fence off, rip up roads, set up blockades.
All to keep us out those places they don't want us in.

Setting up a improvised booby trap isn't there style.

Parking a Hummer on the trail with some A-hole behind a Ma-duce telling you to get the F out of there--- is more their speed.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Over in Utah a couple years back they found that some unknown person had set up homemade shotgun shell landmines along a hiking trail. thankfully a heavy rain had washed them out of the grown so no one stepped on one. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I can't imagine those things actually working. Just not enough force, and that's even assuming the person stepped on the bullet exactly right. More often than not, the act of stepping on it would malign the nail...but even if it hit exactly right, wouldn't be enough to fire the bullet.

When younger, I had a bullet in a tree, and fired at it with a pellet gun. After numerous hits and dents on the bottom of the bullet, most in the right spot, it eventually actually blew...but took a lot of work at it, and certainly showed me a nail would not do it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join