It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun-control proponents lament as "Assault Weapons Ban" does nothing

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: vor78

originally posted by: PhoenixOD
The second amendment was written in a time of muskets lol.

...by people who were well aware that weapons technology could and would advance beyond the level that existed at the time. Unless you think the founders would have wanted their descendants restricted to defending themselves and their country with obsolete weaponry.

More than aware. Joseph Belton demonstrated a machinegun (yes, single pull of the trigger caused a rapid succession of 16-20 bullets over the course of a few seconds) to Congress in 1777. The Second Amendment was adopted 14 years later in 1791.

Congress originally ordered some - until they saw the price tag at which point they told him to get lost!

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman
a reply to: BlackboxInquiry

I think this is all that is needed to explain this.

Hahah!!! EXACTLY.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Gun bans do nothing in the long run.

Its just like banning explosives. anyone can get on the internet and learn how to make explosives.

They can be made from common household chemicals.
This i know because i worked for over 30 years as a blaster and would have no problem making explosives

Ban guns!!! we can not even control the borders.

If they Banned all guns. it would do nothing.

we have illegals and drugs crossing the border every day.

If they banned guns it would just be another product to come in along with illegals and drugs.

But the public would not get the guns the criminals would get them.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

you know better than that.
the first amendment was written before
internet, kindlel. cellphones, email...

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

True. The anti-2A types want people to believe that the only thing in existence at the time were single-shot muskets, but that's not quite accurate. There were lever action flintlocks (Lorenzoni, Kalthoff repeaters) in existence in the mid 1600s that had 5-7 shot magazines and could fire a round every couple of seconds. There are actually still a few examples of each in existence today, well over 300 years later, in museums around the world. The reason it took another 200 years to catch on was, as you say, because they were hideously expensive and time consuming to produce.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Thanks to some state law makers, with the removal of the bayonet lug on the ARs, there has been a sharp decrease in bayonet charges within those states. That's something I'm thankful for. I can't tell you the number of times I've been afraid to go on a run in the late afternoon concerned that 100s of AR toting communists might charge down a hill at me. It was very stressful, but now, I can go for a run secure in the knowledge that IF 100s of AR toting communists charge down a hill at me they are breaking the law.

Everyone knew these laws were useless and wouldn't do anything. But, lawmakers figured they had to do something so that, during reelection, they could tell their constituents that they did something to save the children. Ridiculous, absolutely, ridiculous.

Anyway, I am thankful about not having to worry about bayonet charges. Now if they could only balance the budget...

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join