It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia moves to prohibit the U.S. from using the ISS in 2020

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Danbones
what was it the hopis were saying:
"when the house falls out of the sky…"

Or something…

“And this is the Ninth and Last Sign: You will hear of a dwelling-place in the heavens, above the earth, that shall fall with a great crash. It will appear as a blue star. Very soon after this, the ceremonies of my people will cease.

Hopi Prophecies

Compelling picture in the link. Could have been the Columbia, too?

Ending of Koyaanisqatsi…

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: RationalDespair
a reply to: Arnie123

It's not a dream, it's reality. From your avatar I can see "Land of Giants BIG BAD USA", and that alone tells me how biased you are against anything that is not pro-USA. That's alright though, I'm also proud of my own country, but I'm not blinded by it.

Right now, it's a simple fact that the USA relies on Russian technology and infrastructure to get into space, or more specifically, the ISS. So Russia does hold all the cards, and honestly I don't see any change in that any time soon. The USA is practically bankrupt and has no means to start a new space programme; neither the funds, nor the technological means to get it done so quickly. 2020 is only 6 years away and in development terms that is not very long.

That aside, I should make clear that I'm not a proponent of any of these actions, neither from the US nor Russia. Both are playing dangerous games and I live right in the middle of it.

You should really take the time to learn about a topic before you try to make it seem like your knowledgeable. First space x is currently working on there life support system expected to be completed by the end of this year.And as far as heavy lift rockets testing ends in 2016 with launches scheduled for 2017.

Two Boosters Complete for Orion Spacecraft's First Flight Test
February 25, 2014
Delta IV Heavy booster
One of the Delta IV Heavy boosters that will be used in Orion’s launch this fall is turned around for loading onto the Mariner cargo barge.
Image Credit: NASA/MSFC/Emmett Given
Two of the boosters that will help send NASA’s Orion spacecraft into space for the first time are on their way to Florida.
Orion will launch on top of a Delta IV rocket this fall, and two of the rocket’s three boosters were rolled out of the United Launch Alliance (ULA) facility in Decatur, Ala., and loaded onto a Mariner cargo barge Feb 21.
ULA is constructing the Delta IV for the flight test of Orion, called Exploration Flight Test-1, or EFT-1. From ULA, the boosters will arrive at Cape Canaveral, Fla., in early March for final processing prior to the launch. A third booster is still in fabrication at the Decatur facility.

www.nasa.gov...

www.space.com...
edit on 5/14/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
My thoughts exactly. I also laugh when I read things like Russia holds all the cards
American private ventures are already geared up to take over the task. The only thing Russia could hope to win against America would be a snowball fight. They do have a lot of snow. .reply to: Arnie123

edit on AMu31u0552039312014-05-14T10:39:31-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The space shuttles were decommissioned. They weren't sold off for parts. All they need to do is fire them up again. i reply to: Flavian

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
LOL the USA is practically bankrupt. LOL what a laugh. You go on believing what you wish were true and the USA will wave to you from space where ever you happen to be. Wishing the big bad USA away won't make it happen. o reply to: RationalDespair

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
LOL the USA is practically bankrupt. LOL what a laugh.

$ 17 TRILLION DEBT

YOUR SPENDING MONEY YOU DON'T HAVE!

Do you people understand the simple concept of debt? Here the summary....you borrow money, and here the important part YOU PAY IT BACK. What you don't do is borrow more and then more and then borrow even more, which is what the USA is doing.

You do dont have the assets or the capability to pay that $17 Trillion back as the USA currently stands now. Your currency overnight could become more worthless than your belie button fluff.

You think this is a anti American rant? It not IT FREAKING REALITY! The USA will not just take its own people down but mine too.
edit on 14-5-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

The only thing Russia could hope to win against America would be a snowball fight

Bearing in mind that Hitler and Napoleon were both defeated by that winter sport. But I guess the US thinks it will be different this time. They thought that in Afghanistan, too.

Big step from losing there to defeating Russia.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

The space shuttles were decommissioned. They weren't sold off for parts. All they need to do is fire them up again. i reply to: Flavian

Thats a lot of crap. They have a useful service life and that has long passed. But then I expect that from the USA, USA, USA crowd.

As I recall the shuttles original touted purpose was to build a station and use that to shuttle to the moon bases that were going to be constructed with that very shuttle fleet.

You keep imagining that, too?

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Wishing the big bad USA away won't make it happen.

Former big bad USA. Like the evil former Soviet Putin, these pleas are falling on deaf ears.

Reality is above you, all you have to do is look up at the night sky. All I see are Russian Taxis reaching the ISS. You may pontificate about the new US 'fleet" all you want, but really its a forgone conclusion. We are using them to go there and thats that. If we do get back there it will be close to the ISS useful service ceiling, too.

The link in the OP says that is 2024, I think?

ETA: Yep. Read it and weep…

The U.S. had hoped to keep the aging ISS floating until 2024. Rogozin said after 2020, Russia will likely pull its money from the space station and move it to a "project with more prospects." Rogozin also slammed NASA for drastically scaling back its space exploration projects in recent years. "The Russian segment can exist independently from the American one," he said. "The U.S. one cannot." - - Jordan Valinsky

Crying over spilt milk. Some sanction. Russia again has been accused and done nothing.
edit on 14-5-2014 by intrptr because: additional

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Wasn't the space station originally the Mir space station built by the Russians?
Mir meaning both "peace" and "world"

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Bah. I find the title of the article (which I know is the news source and not the OP) to be misleading. Russia isn't "prohibiting" the US from using the ISS, they're simply not going to supply our ride anymore. As Dmitry Rogozin tweeted "I suggest...a trampoline". (edited for brevity, and the simple fact that I can't remember the total sentence)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

The only thing Russia could hope to win against America would be a snowball fight.

Is it April Fools day again?
The mighty American army couldnt, havnt and wont defeat the Taliban/insurgents in Afghanistan.
People that live in caves for chrissst sake.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Russia? Take away our keys to the front door of ISS?? Whatever for?! We didn't do anything wrong!

I mean, it's not like we aren't responsible and always looking to the bright side of things with eternal optimism right? It's not like we don't have the very best in mind for the ISS and it's long term continued success. NASA wouldn't even think anything but full speed ahead and to the stars! .....right?

NASA to De-Orbit International Space Station In 2016

Well.... That was back in 2009.....

Details of NASA's International Space Station Disposal Plan Revealed

Hmmm..... 2010 didn't look much better fir optimism...

ASAP discuss plans to deorbit the ISS via the use of two Progress ships

Oh dear... That was in 2012!

Bringing down the ISS – Plans for Station’s demise updated

and....2013. The plan has evolved, but NASA seems a little hung up on talking about the destruction of the INTERNATIONAL Space Station. Check the 2009 Popular Science coverage on this and you'll see it hasn't always been 2028 talk, either. Not by a long shot.

Perhaps we make Russia and the other nations a bit nervous with this disposable approach we take to everything. We'd have trash'ed MIR MUCH sooner under NASA and that's not lost on them either, I'm sure.

Perhaps it's that ISS wasn't even done when the first planning started in public view and in the public square for the deliberate obliteration of it.

This is why we can't have nice things these days. We get to acting like we determine outcomes and everyone else just has to agree to deal with it.

I believe we're about to be told to deal with it......

edit on 14-5-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

Sounds like some sort of BS, if you ask me. I haven't heard such news in the Russian media.
Maybe it's a misinterpretation. Not long ago, because of the introduction of new US sanctions, one of the Russian officials, Rogozin, posted in his blog "If the Americans want to get to the ISS, they might as well use the trampoline". Because up to date, the US has no means of getting their astronaughts in space. Russian rockets take them there. America is developing a conventional rocket for this purpose, though.
Btw, one of your boys landed in Kazakhstan today.

I like how cheap US about these sanctions. Little boys. Kennedy would laugh.
Russia didn't cut off US supply lines to Afganistan. Like a grown up.
I think the American soldiers will remember that, because they know life and what's important.
US officials won't for sure. They're are mostly just a bunch of grown up kid assholes.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptra reply to: AutumnWitch657

Bearing in mind that Hitler and Napoleon were both defeated by that winter sport. But I guess the US thinks it will be different this time. They thought that in Afghanistan, too.

Big step from losing there to defeating Russia.

Yeah......USA doesn't have a great record with breaking with trends in history.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000
Russia? Take away our keys to the front door of ISS?? Whatever for?! We didn't do anything wrong!

I mean, it's not like we aren't responsible and always looking to the bright side of things with eternal optimism right? It's not like we don't have the very best in mind for the ISS and it's long term continued success. NASA wouldn't even think anything but full speed ahead and to the stars! .....right?

NASA to De-Orbit International Space Station In 2016

Well.... That was back in 2009.....

Details of NASA's International Space Station Disposal Plan Revealed

Hmmm..... 2010 didn't look much better fir optimism...

ASAP discuss plans to deorbit the ISS via the use of two Progress ships

Oh dear... That was in 2012!

Bringing down the ISS – Plans for Station’s demise updated

and....2013. The plan has evolved, but NASA seems a little hung up on talking about the destruction of the INTERNATIONAL Space Station. Check the 2009 Popular Science coverage on this and you'll see it hasn't always been 2028 talk, either. Not by a long shot.

Perhaps we make Russia and the other nations a bit nervous with this disposable approach we take to everything. We'd have trash'ed MIR MUCH sooner under NASA and that's not lost on them either, I'm sure.

Perhaps it's that ISS wasn't even done when the first planning started in public view and in the public square for the deliberate obliteration of it.

This is why we can't have nice things these days. We get to acting like we determine outcomes and everyone else just has to agree to deal with it.

I believe we're about to be told to deal with it......

Who did you put in charge of NASA Michael Bay?
Build a big mutli Billion structure and blow the crap out of it
I would make a joke about big bangs , explosion and blowing stuff up being so American.......but even I think they are kinda cool

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Well, they aren't qualified but they did watch Armageddon at a Holiday Inn Express the night before hire day!

Does that count?

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000

Well, they aren't qualified but they did watch Armageddon at a Holiday Inn Express the night before hire day!

Does that count?

I thought they would at least watch star wars too

anyway enough of the jokes we will throw the thread off topic

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

You were joking? I wasn't... Not entirely, to be sure.. Have you seen who runs NASA right now?

Prior to being nominated as NASA Administrator, Griffin was serving as Space Department Head at Johns Hopkins University's Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Md. He was previously President and Chief Operating Officer of In-Q-Tel, Inc., and also served in several positions within Orbital Sciences Corporation, Dulles, Va., including Chief Executive Officer of Orbital's Magellan Systems division and General Manager of the Space Systems Group.

Earlier in his career at NASA, Griffin served as associate administrator for exploration from August 1991 through March 1993, becoming chief engineer in March 1993 through January 1994. He also served as deputy for technology at the Strategic Defense Initiative Organization. He has been an adjunct professor at the University of Maryland, Johns Hopkins University and George Washington University, where he taught courses in spacecraft design, applied mathematics, guidance and navigation, compressible flow, computational fluid dynamics, spacecraft attitude control, astrodynamics and introductory aerospace engineering. He is the lead author of more than two dozen technical papers, as well as the textbook, "Space Vehicle Design."
Source

A professional administrator with roots to the Strategic Defense Initiative.

You honestly weren't that far off....and like our FBI director, it's another Bush appointment Obama's been too busy to get around to, or...more likely..the policies of the last President weren't that big a problem to this one.

Now lets hope we get one back in there who sees America worthy of at least WORKING toward exceptionalism as a goal, since we've lost most tangible signs of it in any other way. Other nations are working for their own version of it. It's the least can do....or should do...or really, MUST do by our Children and their Children. How sad to know, we may have lived in the last days of crewed spacecraft with a US flag on the side.

They keep saying something else is out there...but Russia doesn't seem to think so, toying with access like this.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I'm sure by now our most covert elite cyber-warriors have installed dormant viruses within the critical systems on the ISS. If they shut us out and we can't participate, no one can... Everyone onboard would have to abandon the ISS.

Too bad, if the cold war goes hot, they would have had the best view.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join