It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun Dog Spotted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Last night whilst watching the sun set over the sea. I saw what i think was the start of the formation of a sun dog. Out from the left and right side of the sun was a circular rainbow formation. I tried to take some pictures but my camera is not very good.

sun dog (or sundog), mock sun[1] or phantom sun,[2] scientific name parhelion (plural parhelia), is an atmospheric phenomenon that creates bright spots of light in the sky, often on a luminous ring or halo on either side of the sun.[3] Sundogs may appear as a colored patch of light to the left or right of the sun, 22° distant and at the same distance above the horizon as the sun, and in ice halos. They can be seen anywhere in the world during any season, but they are not always obvious or bright. Sundogs are best seen and are most conspicuous when the sun is low.

en.wikipedia.org...

In the next photo I have hightlighted the area of the phantom suns. The camera was not very good at getting them...

and here is a picture of a full sun in all its glory.

purp..

edit on 14-5-2014 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I saw one years ago after the sun had set out over a lake. I have always wondered if tricks of light are considered hallucinations. What I saw didn't make sense however I don't think it was an Abomination. The Kaskinampo Indians I studied that live here for thousands of years were terrified of various Gods and this was one of them. They called it a fire crest (although the exact translation is impossible) it meant doom like ellipses and other phenomena.

However they thought lighting and thunder energized the land and were not frighten of it at all. The fire crest could have been made by something else but it doubt it. This didn't stop them from their favorite pastime which was killing each other in massive bloodbaths with, or against, other Cherokee tribes.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Cool pics! I bet that looked really awesome in person.

I suppose I should consider my self lucky. Here in Kenai I've seen over five nice prominent sun dogs in the last couple years and a few good halos as well.

Not to mention some sick auroras lately too! I'm always looking up, just love seeing cool stuff in the sky

Thanks for sharing OP! keep looking up.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Hi there

thank you for reply. I have been lucky of recent and seen the Northern Lights too. The best show I have seen in years...

Well done on the Sun Dogs too! This is my second one the first was more prominent but I did not have a camera...!

and I will always looks up

kind regards

purp

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Lucky! Still waiting for the day I see a sun dog!

Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Saw another beautiful one yesterday. I was at our local skatepark. We had a full halo with a multi-colored very bright sun-dog on the left side, and a fainter one on the right. It was cool, the cloud behind it got wisped to the side and took the form of what I perceived as an angels wing. At one point the very top of the halo had rainbow colors. Like a sundog up top (when I thought they only occurred on the sides.

Anyway seeing this made me think of you guys and this thread. I thought it was a bit synchronistcic too. This gave me a feeling of peace and really enhanced my skateboarding session!
edit on 16-5-2014 by GoShredAK because: Oops

new topics

top topics

join