It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's oldest petrified sperm found, and it's huge!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Scientists have found fossilized sperm from what's called a Seed Shrimp, a tiny crustacean that lived 16-23 million years ago. These creatures measure millimeters long but their sperm reaches 0.4 inches long; that's 1 centimeter. In human terms for an adult who's 6ft tall, their sperm would be.........Gee, I need help ATS. How big would that sperm be in human terms?

The oldest petrified sperm ever discovered is gargantuan, at least for a gamete. The sperm comes from the early Miocene epoch, between about 23 million and 16 million years ago, and belonged to a tiny crustacean called a seed shrimp or ostracod. Seed shrimp are bivalves like muscles, but sport tiny appendages that make them look like walking beans. Though they measure just millimeters long, their sperm often reaches more than 0.4 inches (1 centimeter) in length.

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Weird to say the least, perhaps they died out because of sperm jealousy or terrified females.

It goes to show that whatever you think you know about evolution there is always something to suddenly amaze you.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Thanks for the read, never knew that before and the answer is.........36 Feet according to Wiki.
I want to make a pun but don't know if T&C would allow it lol

The individual sperm are often large, and are coiled up within the testis prior to mating; in some cases, the uncoiled sperm can be up to six times the length of the male ostracod itself

Wiki....

Also just to add they are packing more than one......

Male ostracods have two penes, corresponding to two genital openings, or gonopores on the female

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
Scientists have found fossilized sperm from what's called a Seed Shrimp, a tiny crustacean that lived 16-23 million years ago. These creatures measure millimeters long but their sperm reaches 0.4 inches long; that's 1 centimeter. In human terms for an adult who's 6ft tall, their sperm would be.........Gee, I need help ATS. How big would that sperm be in human terms?

The oldest petrified sperm ever discovered is gargantuan, at least for a gamete. The sperm comes from the early Miocene epoch, between about 23 million and 16 million years ago, and belonged to a tiny crustacean called a seed shrimp or ostracod. Seed shrimp are bivalves like muscles, but sport tiny appendages that make them look like walking beans. Though they measure just millimeters long, their sperm often reaches more than 0.4 inches (1 centimeter) in length.

www.nbcnews.com...

One cm has 10 mm. You don't have a specific size in millimeters. Let's say the crustacean is 5 millimeters which in turn is half of the centimeter so the size of their sperm is double the size of their bodies. Simple math for a 6ft tall human it should be a 12 ft thingy. lol
edit on 14-5-2014 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I must be one sick son-of-a-gun to even check this thread out, but usually the reply posts to this type of subject are hilarious.

My sick mind gives you kudos for the find, my straight mind feels disgust though.
edit on 14-5-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
My god, i don't even want to think of how big the... Ok I'll stop.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Took my reply back because I'm not sure I can say what I said. ly to: Maltese5Rhino

edit on AMu31u0552059312014-05-14T10:59:14-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
well you only said "millimetres" but did not say a range or anything. a centimeter (sperm size) is 10 millimeters. so if by "millimeters" you mean 5, the sperm would be twice the size of the animal that ejaculated it. so a 6 foot tall (2meters) human would produce a 12 (4meters) foot long sperm. if you mean 2 millimeters, the sperm would be 5 times the size of the animal. so a 6 foot human would produce a 30 foot (10 meter) sperm. if you mean 3 mm, it would be about 3.3 times the size of the animal so a 6 foot man would create a 19 foot, 9 inch sperm or about 6.75 meters.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Exactly, the sperm cells were so tightly coiled that they were in fact longer than the organism that produced it. Like when you unravel a DNA molecule it is several meters long

new topics

top topics

join