It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Going Viral: ‘Sad Sister’ Gets One of the Most Brutally Honest Responses Ever From Advice Column

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

A stay-at-home mom wrote to the “Ask Amy” advice column on May 8 seeking guidance on how to make one of her sisters “understand that she should perhaps find another set of friends whose lives and interests align more closely with hers.” The response she received from nationally syndicated columnist Amy Dickinson was painfully blunt.

[url=http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/05/13/going-viral-sad-sister-gets-one-of-the-most-brutally-honest-responses-from-advice-columnist/]

As noted above, Dickinson wraps up her response by suggesting “Sad Sister” act a little more Christ-like and stop blaming “the person you are excluding for not ‘fitting in.’”

I have to agree with 'Amy'
The lady who wrote to her is being judgmental towards her divorced working sister
She's the one IMO that has an issue --the one who wrote this--not the sister that gets left out

Would love to know their whole story as to why this one sister has alienated the other sister, other than the obvious
That the sister who gets ignored & left behind doesn't conform to her sister's ways

To the sister that gets 'left out' ....just ignore the others and stop trying to please them because you will never achieve that goal
Nor will you ever figure out the 'Why' to all that cruelty/madness--unless it's some kind of jealousy that has been going on for years since childhood
Just be yourself and be proud
To hell with those that are too ignorant to accept you for who you are and what you do

Betcha the lady who wrote the letter was appalled at Amy's response and will never accept that her ways are mean and selfish
People like her never see the error of their own ways

edit on 13-5-2014 by snarky412 because: can't get link to work.....grrrr

+5 more 
posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Nice one.

When you look at Judgmental A/holes, you always find upstanding churchgoers right at the front of the pack. As Amy said, this women has learnt nothing at all about being a Christian or even how to be a nice person.

When she reaches those pearly gates, she will be directed to the long line labelled 'Bitches, wait here"

Reminds me of the story of Cinderella and the ugly sisters. Hope the good sister finds a Prince Charming.

P

edit on 13/5/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
To sum up the article:

Sister 1: Dear Amy, My friends and I don't like my sister and she is lame. Can you please reassure me that she sucks and I shouldn't feel like a jerk for ignoring her. cheers.

Amy: Naa, your a jerk...you don't have to hang out with her though..thats what jerks do..now you and your jerk friends go do your jerky stuff you jerks like to do. You suck..jerk!

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Normally this is outside of the stuff I would comment on but I must say.. GO AMY!

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
To sum up the article:

Sister 1: Dear Amy, My friends and I don't like my sister and she is lame. Can you please reassure me that she sucks and I shouldn't feel like a jerk for ignoring her. cheers.

Amy: Naa, your a jerk...you don't have to hang out with her though..thats what jerks do..now you and your jerk friends go do your jerky stuff you jerks like to do. You suck..jerk!

Yep...that pretty much sums it up

That bad part about all this is the sister that wrote the letter doesn't realize nor will she acknowledge what a big jerk SHE HERSELF is!!!
And the others must be jerks too if they follow her lead and won't stand up to her
Just saying....

edit on 13-5-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
Nice one.

When you look at Judgmental A/holes, you always find upstanding churchgoers right at the front of the pack.

By nature, their decision that they already solved the universes biggest question through just..faith or whatnot is bound to hyperinflate their ego and self importance. Comes with the territory.
But you take the good with the bad. leading some of the nicest people are also churchgoers...so, lets just say that religious people produce extremes.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: snarky412
Thank you for this post. Flag and a very bright star.
There's a good reason why we don't get to pick our relatives
in every case except in-laws. I believe it's either some cosmic
tempering for one's character or just a lesson.

This is also very close to home for me-- and the reason I haven't
communicated at all with my so called organic family in over
twenty years. Call that anything you like, I'll call it spiritual
self-preservation at least.

It's a whole lot of trouble to find a different set of friends, but
not nearly as hard as finding out your family could use replacing

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: derfreebie
a reply to: snarky412
Thank you for this post. Flag and a very bright star.
There's a good reason why we don't get to pick our relatives
in every case except in-laws. I believe it's either some cosmic
tempering for one's character or just a lesson.

This is also very close to home for me-- and the reason I haven't
communicated at all with my so called organic family in over
twenty years. Call that anything you like, I'll call it spiritual
self-preservation at least.

It's a whole lot of trouble to find a different set of friends, but
not nearly as hard as finding out your family could use replacing

Out of 4 siblings in our family, only the oldest sister is the instigator
She lives by herself [55 yo] across the country from the rest of us

When ever she's around for the holidays --which isn't often-- we can always anticipate some kind of stupid, uncalled for argument, over nothing, just because we gripe her azz
But....BUT...we love her, she's family and there is no way we could ever be this cruel towards her like the 'sad sister' that wrote this article
Nor would we accept her as any other way...the way she is , is what makes her unique albeit frustrating at times
Her way of thinking is off kilter from ours but it doesn't make her wrong
Just makes it difficult to agree on things and have a civil debate

She is my sister and I love her!!! Unconditionally...

Hmmm, wonder if the sister that wrote this is the older sibling?
Curious...

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
There's a black sheep in every family. It's always our fault, right?

Nice to see someone actually put that sad sack of a sister in her place.

Sad thing is, her close-knit clique and church congregation are probably reassuring her about what a good, saintly person she is; telling her she's fully justified in shunning her 'embarrassment' of a sister

edit on 14-5-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I hope a lot of Christians read this and realise their own sin.

I was one of them, a judgemental pew sitting hypocrite. Then again its not just Christians who act like this, we shouldnt just blame others but reflect on how we act.

Well God woke me up, for that I am grateful.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I don't understand people who do this crap. It would be different if "Sad Sister" was excluding the sister for a legitimate reason, like for being an active KKK member spouting their racist BS. That I could understand. But this is a spoiled little stay-at-home churchy mom, being spiteful to her divorced working sister because she doesn't measure up. To me, that's nothing more than a superiority complex.
Sure, growing up, I did some mean things to my younger brother (typically just mean pranks to scare him) but I never treated him like a leper to be avoided like this, and certainly wouldn't do it as an adult. This woman is just an ugly, ugly soul at heart (assuming she has one)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
That was AMAZING! ask amy is a true badass in my book, as soon as i started reading i couldn't help but feel for the excluded sister and think wow this write is a complete witch

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Rich Wasps. That's what they are. Amy did good.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   
It makes me disappointed to be associated with people like this just because of the word "Christian" and I follow try to follow the teachings of Jesus. Maybe there should be another word besides Christian, because I don't really want to be associated with people like this. I mean, Jesus never said the word "Christian", right?

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
It makes me disappointed to be associated with people like this just because of the word "Christian" and I follow try to follow the teachings of Jesus. Maybe there should be another word besides Christian, because I don't really want to be associated with people like this. I mean, Jesus never said the word "Christian", right?

and sadly your comment mirror the problem
"It makes me disappointed to be associated with people like this"
Are they not the comments of the "Sad Sister"?

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Mind Numbing...

I work with someone who believes their own sh...hype. They're a horrible person.

My heart goes out to Wendy. People are cruel and mean. Karma will not be able to ignore a group of such horrible people thinking that they are in the right.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
BoooYah!!!

I imaginary high five you Amy.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
In the words of Grumpy Cat.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I totally agree with Amy, except for one point: calling Sad Sister's behavior horrible is one thing (and it's completely true) but calling her a horrible person is just another judging statement. We are all capable of being horrible, and we are all capable of being wonderful. I, for one, am slipping that first stone back into my pocket.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

There is such a term: Christ-Like; as in: I would rather be Christ-Like, then Christian.

I follow no religion, because they take away my freedom, and don't follow their own teachings, and still think that everyone but them are going to hell or some other nightmarish place.

It would be both funny and sad if a Christian gets to "heaven" and the angels state, "it says here you went to church and are a Christian, but when we review the tape, you are not following what was taught. To hell with thee. Oh, you are surprised? Jesus did say to follow his example not just believe in him. pee-shaw, weekend Christians."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join