It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you ID this Helicopter?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

We have some brand new hawks we got as a welcome home present from the unit that replaced us. All have less than 400 hours and a few less than 200. Can barely make out the US Army on them either.

I wish people understood that these helicopters are designed for combat and that being brightly colored is detrimental to that end.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I still don't know why my phone rotated them, but I love the Superman logo someone put on it.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I did find on wiki that the BP does use the lakota, so I think that puts the nail in that coffin IMO.
Thanks for the help.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

That looks just like a trainer aircraft we had at Ft. Eustis. though this one isnt a mike its either and Alpha Plus or a lima. Likely a lima.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

On second look I think it might be a lima converted to mike.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Thanks for the excellent photos. I have a question for you. I have never noticed the 2 small sliding windows just in front of the right side landing gear wheel. What are those windows used for? They're outlined in your photo below. Also if you can, tell us where you saw this helicopter and where do you think it was going?

Photo courtesy of Zaphod58

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Mikeultra

That is where the crewchief/gunner sits.

Currently I am a UH60 Crewchief/gunner.

If you have any questions pertaining to the airframe let me know. I cant resist a good hawktalk

edit on pSat, 17 May 2014 17:33:08 -0500201417America/Chicago2014-05-17T17:33:08-05:0031vx5 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

That is where the crewchief/gunner sits.

Currently I am a UH60 Crewchief/gunner.

If you have any questions pertaining to the airframe let me know. I cant resist a good hawktalk

Oh man! I do I do!!!

So what's it like firing that minigun? Is it as fun as it looks? Does it overheat during sustained fire?

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   

It was at a truck stop in Boise. No idea where it was going though.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Thanks for the reply and for your service! I found this photo showing your window seat from the inside. Is there a similar position on the left side also? Are there any Blackhawks that are set up as gunships like they did with Hueys? I think the Blackhawk is a good replacement for the Huey.

Nevermind my question about the left side. I see it is there, and it was a dumb question. I would like to know if they get rigged up as gunships though.

edit on 17-5-2014 by Mikeultra because: left side

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

They always talked about rocket pods and hellfire racks, but as far as I heard it never went anywhere.

The problem with non purpose built gunships is they're more vulnerable.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
OK, thank you too Zaphod58. I have a lot of respect for all those who serve. I'm annoying sometimes in what I post about, but I really do appreciate you all. I was always fascinated by helicopters.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

So what's it like firing that minigun?

Standard air assault units do not use miniguns. We use M240H pintle mounted machine guns cambered in 7.62x51. Still fun to shoot. We don't use them because they run on AC power. If we lose power on the helicopter we lose our protection too. The only people who use miniguns are the 160th SOAR(Special Operations Aviation Regiment). Medevac helicopters are not armed. But the individuals aboard carry personal weapons for protection in case crap happens, as you would expect.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Thanks for the reply and for your service! I found this photo showing your window seat from the inside. Is there a similar position on the left side also?

There are two gunner's seats one on each side of the helicopter.

Are there any Blackhawks that are set up as gunships like they did with Hueys?

There are. The gun ship configuration has a 20mm machinegun, rocket pods and hellfire missle mounts. This version is typically used by countries who cannot afford the Apache. Interestingly, the Battlehawk can carry more weapons and move faster than the Apache.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

It makes sense that other countries would do it. It's like the MSA Boeing is pushing now. A third the cost of a P-8A, not quite as capable, but perfect for nations that can't afford a full up Poseidon fleet.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Yep. It's still pretty bad ass.

They used an S70 substrate for it the Battlehawk configuration. S70s are typically sold to the civilian and foreign military buyers.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Personally I'm interested to see what they eventually do with the unmanned -76 platform they just certified.

They also just flew an optionally manned -60.
edit on 5/18/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/18/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I saw the PR release for the optionally unmanned H60. They intend to use it for cargo purposes only while using manned H60s for air assault and pax movements.

From when I understand the unmanned system is extremely promising. But we shall see how it performs in the field.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Yeah that's what I figured. They have several conversions in testing right now, all showing huge potential.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join