It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel and the Church, in History and for Contemporary Times. To be continued LORD willing.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
It is tragic that so many Israelites, through whom the new covenant was foretold and manifest among men by the law and the prophets, have been blinded by the god of this world, and prevented from seeing that Jesus is indeed the prophesied Christ that their ancestors so eagerly awaited! It is truly the greatest story ever told...

Jesus is not dead, and He is Faithful and True, Thus says the LORD: as surely as He lives if You seek Him you will find Him. Verily, He will find you! Should we expect anything less from the Living God? What are YOU waiting for?

I want to thank God the Father, and our LORD Jesus Christ for the faithful service of my fellow Catholic brethren on this topic!

something the LORD gave to me:

Jesus Christ taught that the fullness of the law is to love. To love God, and to love each other.

You could not water your garden with a hose that was not connected to the spigot. Why? Because the hose does not have water in itself. You must connect it to the source of water. In the same way it is impossible for a person to love if it is not connected to the Source of all Love-God. In the same way that hoses do not have water, so too do people in themselves not have love.

How do we connect to Gods' love? How do we receive this life giving water from His endless fount? There are many ways: the first way we receive the love of God is from our parents, their many selfless sacrifices make provision for us, for our wants and needs, and as such are love. When we get older we begin to appreciate the beauty of life, the profundity and wisdom of the world around us, how the rain falls and the sun shines, and how the earth in all its fullness brings forth our provisions and sustenance, our shelter, for every physical need. These are some of the ways the 'natural' man experiences the love of God, for these are all His gifts.

In pursuit of trying to learn who this God is we inevitably hear the story of Jesus the Christ. It is a story of the inconceivable love of God for His creation, and His plan to redeem fallen mankind from the curse of their folly. I could not possibly do this sublime story justice to recall, so I invite you to read it, to discover, and rediscover this great love that God has for mankind in Jesus Christ His perfect and dearly beloved Son. The love of God in Christ Jesus, in His Incarnation, Life, His passionate suffering and willing obedience is the Pinnacle of Love, and this is precisely what the evangelist wrote in the epistle of John, that "God is love". To contemplate the Cross of Christ, in prayer and meditation, is to contemplate the love of God, and this is one of the most profound ways that we can connect to the unending fount of love that flows down from on high to Creation! In the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ we find the light of hope, mercy, and grace that shines in the darkness of all ages. It is a message that no matter what we've done we can be forgiven because God loves us so much; that His mercy is greater than our guilt; His Love is greater than our shame; His strength greater than our weakness; His wisdom greater than our intelligence!

The most profound way that we can connect to God's love, in order to better love one another, is to receive the sacraments, especially baptism, reconciliation, and Holy Eucharist. Baptism is when we first enter into the mystery of Christs death and resurrection. The commission Christ entrusted to His Church to make disciples of every nation, to spread the Gospel to the ends of the earth, baptizing in the Name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit, had been fulfilled. We are blessed to live in this time for many of us have been baptized into the mystery of Gods' love by merit of our spiritual and cultural inheritance! The world lies, about who we are as people, about who we are called to be, about our purpose and meaning in life. The spirit of the world has always lied, for it is under the power of the devil. This goes back as far as the garden. The spirit of the world is opposed to the Spirit of God, and as such we have all been led astray as sheep. We are led into the snares of sin, and the world calls these things good. Christ is the Good Sheppard Who lays His life down for His sheep! To contemplate the Cross of Christ is to more fully understand the horror that is sin, and the surpassing beauty, goodness, and love of God!

While we wait in a fallen world for redemption, in these corruptible bodies, we are prone to sin still, weakened in our bodies by the curse, and our sin creates a sort of blockage that keeps us from being able to receive God's love. It's a little like a kink in a hose. When we go to confession we can be forgiven, our sins washed away as if they had never happened, and the kink is made straight so we are again able to receive God's love! If we die in this state we enter into eternity disconnected from the source of not only love, but of All that is good and perfect, beautiful and praiseworthy! If there were no further punishment as justice would require for transgressions against God, this would be hell enough, but even this separation is only half the story! Avoid sheol! Get baptized! Go to confession frequently and experience the goodness of the LORD that is renewed with each new day!

The highest love can be defined as selfless gift of self, and there is no greater love than a man who lays his life down for his friends. Jesus died for US while we were His enemies! Jesus, the sinless Son of God, literally God Incarnate, laid His life down as libation for our sins, to restore us to friendship with God! He took the just penalty of our sin upon Himself! Jesus teaches us in the Gospel according to John in Chapter 6 that He is indeed the Bread of Life, and that unless we eat His Flesh, and drink His Blood, we do not have life within us. For my Jewish brethren I encourage you to read this and appreciate. The celebration of the Last Supper, of Holy Eucharist, both species of bread and wine, is how Jesus feeds us this sublime Heavenly food! In the same way that the Passover lamb, wine and bitter herbs are savored during the Seder, so to must we feast on the Paschal Lamb of God, Jesus Christ, that He would remain in us, and us in Him!

John 15
1 I am the true vine; and my Father is the husbandman.
2 Every branch in me, that beareth not fruit, he will take away: and every one that beareth fruit, he will purge it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
3 Now you are clean by reason of the word, which I have spoken to you.
4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abide in the vine, so neither can you, unless you abide in me.
5 I am the vine: you the branches: he that abideth in me, and I in him, the same beareth much fruit: for without me you can do nothing.

We may not like to think of ourselves as enemies of God, but because of our love for sin that is precisely what we are. :-( God knows this and loves us any way! In fact Christ teaches us to do the same, to love especially our enemies!

Christ died so that our sins could be blotted out, the record containing our transgressions is nailed to the cross! If we die to the flesh our sins are washed away and we share in the hope of His resurrection!

Let us connect to the love that God has for us by these many ways in the hope of becoming better vessels, conduits, of His perfect love, and light for all the world to see!

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: jmdewey60
a reply to: mrphilosophias

thank you for the correction. I'm no rhetorician but I think it is a simple matter of semantics. I would rather not argue about this point.
I'm not really trying to argue or correct you.
I'm just expounding on it a bit as to what Paul meant, since it may be hard to understand, being a notoriously difficult verse.
There is another version of the same sort of saying in Peter, so one version is not necessarily better than the other except Paul is better at keeping to a single subject, where Peter is all over the place.

Well the Israelite's who take their religious inheritance seriously enough will understand that the penalty of sin is death; that atoning sacrifice is necessary; that we are in need of a High Priest set apart to be Holy, and to be our intermediary between sinful mankind and Holy God. Jesus is both the atoning sacrifice and the true High Priest.

While the presence of God rested in the Holy of Holies in Solomons' temple, the Earthly temple was only a dim reflection of the true temple above. Jesus is the Lamb without blemish, the Paschal sacrifice that God provided. This is why He is the Christ for He is our deliverance from the curse of sin. Though He is the Son of God, and verily God Incarnate, He humbled Himself and dwelt amongst His people as He promised through the prophets, but His people recognized Him not. Though He is without Sin He became Sin, and took the sins of the world upon Himself, and thus became expiation for our sins. Furthermore He was raised from the dead in the presence of many witnesses, and after forty days He was exalted to the highest Heaven where He is seated at the right hand of God the Father. In this way He is our High Priest in Heaven, our intermediary before God the Father much as Melchizedek or Moses were. He is the New Adam for where our first parents said "my will be done", Jesus the Christ said "thy will be done". The Blessed Virgin Mary is the New Eve for the same reasons and similarities between her and Sarah are not difficult to conceive.

I can not emphasize enough that Jesus is the prophesied Christ, that the Hebrew scriptures bear witness to Him, and that until my Israeli brothers and sisters recognize this they will never attain the spiritual inheritance that was promised to the descendents of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. Jesus Christ is the Resurrection and the Life, and one of these days He will be returning to take us to the promised land. I hope you taste and see His goodness before that glorious and dreadful day!

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   

It is tragic that so many Israelites . . .
It isn't a tragedy since the Jews became Christians. It just seems like there was a tragic failure because there are obviously a lot of people who follow a certain form of Judaism, but most of those can be accounted for by the Khazars who converted from paganism in 700 AD.

. . . through whom the new covenant was foretold . . .
There is no actual new covenant. That's a metaphor.

. . . and manifest among men by the law and the prophets . . .
Do you mean "attested to"? Well, it's not that, meaning it doesn't describe it as an actual contract, which a covenant would be. The idea of its being "new" is really that it is free from a literal contract.

. . . have been blinded by the god of this world . . .
Obviously the "this world" part indicates that it isn't talking about just the Jews, but the entire world following a lot of different ideas of who and what God was.

and prevented from seeing that Jesus is indeed the prophesied Christ that their ancestors so eagerly awaited!
It was mainly just that one generation, after the Romans made Judea a province when Herod the Great died.

edit on 29-5-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   

If there were no further punishment as justice would require for transgressions against God, this would be hell enough, but even this separation is only half the story!
There isn't like some mother hanging over God's shoulder, named Justice, who punishes anyone who slights Him, and God has nothing but to just go with it.

. . . there is no greater love than a man who lays his life down for his friends.
Jesus was saying this to his disciples, who he called his friends, who he saved by making a deal with the arresting authorities to go with them peacefully if they let his friends go.

. . . Jesus died for US while we were His enemies!
God gave His son to die for us.

Jesus, the sinless Son of God . . .
Jesus was sinless before becoming human, and is currently without sin in his resurrected glorified state. 2 Corinthians 5:21 says that "he was made sin for us".
Though he committed no sins, he was still of sinful flesh.

. . . literally God Incarnate . . .
That is based on the intro to the Gospel of John, and doesn't actually say that literally, it's just an interpretation that ignores what it should obviously be about, which is the Logos, something that was thought of at that time in the Hellenistic culture to be the moving force of the universe, so the gospel writer is explaining that the Logos is actually God. That being established, he goes on to say that the Logos "dwelt among them", meaning people in general, Jesus and the disciples in particular.

. . . laid His life down as libation for our sins . . .
Paul said that he was being "poured out" as a libation. It isn't used to describe what Jesus did.

. . . to restore us to friendship with God!
By making us have positive feelings towards God, not the other way around. God already wanted to be friends, which was why He sent Jesus.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

While we wait in a fallen world for redemption, in these corruptible bodies, we are prone to sin still, weakened in our bodies by the curse, and our sin creates a sort of blockage that keeps us from being able to receive God's love.
Romans 5:8
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
(2011 NIV)
I don't think that the fact that we are human creates e "block" against receiving God's love.
I think that was the whole idea of Jesus, that he was human like us, but still accepted by God.

When we go to confession we can be forgiven, our sins washed away as if they had never happened, and the kink is made straight so we are again able to receive God's love!
I don't think that going to confession is what allows us to be forgiven. When the writer of the John letters talked about confession, he was probably talking about a problem some people had, thinking that it didn't matter what they did, as if sinning couldn't affect them. They needed to admit to themselves that they did have sin and it was a problem, and they did still needed forgiveness.
"Washing away" sins isn't just removing guilt as if it was dirt, it means being clean of committing those sins that produce guilt, then those past sins are forgiven.

He took the just penalty of our sin upon Himself!
This is not something that the Bible teaches, but was something articulated by Augustine that probably came from concepts in the Roman justice system where every crime had to be somehow punished. The Bible teaches the opposite, that whoever committed the crime was responsible and someone else could not be punished for it.

Jesus teaches us in the Gospel according to John in Chapter 6 that He is indeed the Bread of Life, and that unless we eat His Flesh, and drink His Blood, we do not have life within us.
This of course was metaphorical and had to do with his teachings and the taking in of those and incorporating them into your soul, as a means to eternal life.

The celebration of the Last Supper, of Holy Eucharist, both species of bread and wine, is how Jesus feeds us this sublime Heavenly food!
I think it was a way to demonstrate fellowship between people, that they accepted them as worthy of sharing a meal with them.

In the same way that the Passover lamb, wine and bitter herbs are savored during the Seder, so to must we feast on the Paschal Lamb of God, Jesus Christ, that He would remain in us, and us in Him!
I don't think that this idea is ever brought up in the Bible and is probably just a justification for the Catholic practice of making consuming communion essential to salvation.
In the New Testament, Passover is connected to freedom from slavery, as an analogy to how people are normally caught up in a cycle of sin.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

We may not like to think of ourselves as enemies of God, but because of our love for sin that is precisely what we are. :-( God knows this and loves us any way! In fact Christ teaches us to do the same, to love especially our enemies!
People made themselves enemies of God, that is how the New Testament explains it, not that God declared us as His enemies.
God sent Jesus to us to demonstrate His love for us so that we will discard our hatred against God.

Christ died so that our sins could be blotted out, the record containing our transgressions is nailed to the cross! If we die to the flesh our sins are washed away and we share in the hope of His resurrection!
Jesus died, as he said, lifted up to draw all men to him. When we are, and contemplate the implications of the events, then we are prepared to take the steps of acceptance that facilitates our withdrawal from wickedness, so that we can be forgiven and have eternal life.
What was nailed to the cross, as described in the New Testament, was the curse of the law (the old written Mosaic Law), so that we can live to the law of Christ.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Well the Israelite's who take their religious inheritance seriously enough . . .
I think this is a fantasy. Like I said in a post just a while ago, I think we have a whole new people who have arrived on the scene, using the label, Jew, but being disconnected from anyone who lived in Judea, with their own set of traditions and language and set of holy books.

. . . will understand that the penalty of sin is death;
I think this idea of "sin" being an entity in itself is a Christian phenomenon.

. . . that atoning sacrifice is necessary;
The Old Testament describes a group atonement for all of Israel that happened once a year. Mainly what was atoned was the temple itself, from all the previous goings on over the course of the year, to ceremonially cleanse it to be acceptable for the continued habitation by God.

. . . that we are in need of a High Priest set apart to be Holy, and to be our intermediary between sinful mankind and Holy God. Jesus is both the atoning sacrifice and the true High Priest.
I realize that the Book of Hebrews uses a High Priest analogy but it is to highlight the dissimilarities between the two things, such as Jesus did what is analogous to a priestly duty once, which was sufficient for that purpose, and that he did this in the heavenly courts rather than a man made building.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

While the presence of God rested in the Holy of Holies in Solomons' temple, the Earthly temple was only a dim reflection of the true temple above.
That's a story, about the Ark, and all of that, but I doubt that there was any more reality to it than that.
There was probably was a temple in Jerusalem at the time of the Assyrian Empire because this is where Israel comes into verifiable history, and it seems likely that they had a pretty much standard city layout that would include some sort of holy site.
When Hebrews was written, there would have been the full blown Temple of Herod, that was rather well known, and probably what the writer of Hebrews used as a model for his analogy, plus the Levitical description of the idealized wilderness rituals.

Jesus is the Lamb without blemish, the Paschal sacrifice that God provided.
The Passover was maybe thought of as a sacrifice at the time of Jesus, especially if there was like wholesale slaughter going on at the temple to provide the substance for Passover meals for the people.
It wasn't a sin sacrifice but a type of memorial.
The "God provided" bit in your post I have to assume is an allusion to the Abraham and Isaac story in Genesis.
Interestingly, the New Testament does not make this connection between the ram that was eventually killed in the version of the story that we find in our Bibles today, and Jesus.

This is why He is the Christ for He is our deliverance from the curse of sin.
By providing us with the spirit of God that enables us to overcome sin.

Though He is the Son of God, and verily God Incarnate . . .
Like I mentioned earlier, this comes from a convoluted chain of logic involved in interpreting the Logos statements in John 1. It nowhere in the Bible makes a straightforward claim that Jesus is actually God Himself.
He was the son of God, and Paul said that he was in the form of a god, but even Orthodox Trinitarianism does not claim that Jesus and God are the same person.

He humbled Himself and dwelt amongst His people as He promised through the prophets . . .
There is a prophecy that there would be a visitation on the temple, but I see this being fulfilled in the coming of the Son of Man that Jesus reiterated, resulting in its destruction in 70 AD.
The gospels point to a fulfillment of prophecies of Malachi and Zechariah and Isaiah, with the preaching of John the Baptist, the entrance into Jerusalem as its prince, and his freeing of captives.
The "dwelt amongst" bit in your post I have to assume is an allusion to the "dwelt amongst us" part in John 1:14.
Again, this is an interpretation that is pressed to go in a certain predetermined direction to be put into service of "proving" the Trinity theory.
That it says literally is that the Logos of humanity dwelt inside these people, including John the Baptist, the first disciples of Jesus, and Jesus himself.

. . . but His people recognized Him not.
I think that they did, in general, and over a period of time.
He was not recognized by the leadership in Judea, which should have been his dominion as the Messiah.
That was not a 100% failure since Jesus' purpose was to rule a kingdom in the spiritual realm, and also not of that age, exemplified by an already obsolete religious system.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Though He is without Sin He became Sin, and took the sins of the world upon Himself, and thus became expiation for our sins.
This is more theorizing that Jesus somehow loaded himself up with all the sin guilt of people who would believe this, in order to take the punishment owed for them.
There is a verse in 1 Peter that may look like something to support this theory, but the context is that Jesus condemned sin in a metaphorical way as he was crucified as if he was a sinner himself.
In a funny sort of logic, Jesus is metaphorically dying to those sins, so when we join with him, we are to share in that separating ourselves from sinful ways.

The Blessed Virgin Mary is the New Eve for the same reasons and similarities between her and Sarah are not difficult to conceive.
I would think that she was the first Christian saint, but I wouldn't go to any further glorification other than I think that God knew what He was doing when He picked her out, as a very pious and holy person.

Jesus Christ is the Resurrection and the Life, and one of these days He will be returning to take us to the promised land. I hope you taste and see His goodness before that glorious and dreadful day!
I think that Jesus did come, as he predicted, as the "Son of Man", with the Parousia being in the form of a "visitation".
So, the "second coming" already happened, and the Promised Land is the whole world and everyone can be in it if they believe in Jesus.
The "day of dread" is averted by righteousness on the part of these people within Christ's kingdom.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
mrphil, HI~!

When the Holy Eucharist is denied, we as Catholics must help as many as we can come to believe. God can do anything, The Eucharist is His plan, Jesus' presence in the Eucharist is SUPERNATURAL.

www.youtube.com...

Have you seen this YouTube? EVERYONE should watch it. People, the most Holy Eucharist is true and the Blessed
Trinity desires all to believe and one day very, very soon receive the most Holy Eucharist.

God grants miracles to help people come to belief. This Eucharistic miracle in Argentina contains miracles within
miracles. Take the time to listen/watch the scientist explain what they found.

God bless you,

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
To my Jewish brethren Jesus Christ is the conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah that your scriptures foretold; He is the heroic messiah king of the line of King David! Please consider this prophecy about Messiah:

Isaiah 9
1 At the first time the land of Zabulon, and the land of Nephtali was lightly touched: and at the last the way of the sea beyond the Jordan of the Galilee of the Gentiles was heavily loaded.

2 The people that walked in darkness, have seen a great light: to them that dwelt in the region of the shadow of death, light is risen.

3 Thou hast multiplied the nation, and hast not increased the joy. They shall rejoice before thee, as they that rejoice in the harvest, as conquerors rejoice after taking a prey, when they divide the spoils.

4 For the yoke of their burden, and the rod of their shoulder, and the scepter of their oppressor thou hast overcome, as in the day of Median.

5 For every violent taking of spoils, with tumult, and garment mingled with blood, shall be burnt, and be fuel for the fire.

6 For a CHILD IS BORN to us, and a son is given to us, and the government is upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counselor, God the Mighty, the Father of the world to come, the Prince of Peace.

This is talking about Jesus Christ. I could not count the allusions, foreshadowing, and prophecies from the ancient Hebrew scriptures that bear witness to Jesus. He is the Hero of Heroes! There is none like Him! He has overcome evil with inconceivable goodness and love! He is worthy of honor, power, wisdom, thanksgiving, dominion, glory, praise, and love, forever and forever! and He is risen victorious over death, sin, and evil!

Romans 3
1 What advantage then hath the Jew, or what is the profit of circumcision?
2 Much every way. First indeed, because the words of God were committed to them.
3 For what if some of them have not believed? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? God forbid.
4 But God is true; and every man a liar, as it is written, That thou mayest be justified in thy words, and mayest overcome when thou art judged.
5 But if our injustice commend the justice of God, what shall we say? Is God unjust, who executeth wrath?
6 (I speak according to man.) God forbid: otherwise how shall God judge this world?
7 For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie, unto his glory, why am I also yet judged as a sinner?
8 And not rather (as we are slandered, and as some affirm that we say) let us do evil, that there may come good? whose damnation is just.
9 What then? Do we excel them? No, not so. For we have charged both Jews, and Greeks, that they are all under sin.
10 As it is written: There is not any man just.
11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

Romans 3

20 Because by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified before him. For by the law is the knowledge of sin.
21 But now without the law the justice of God is made manifest, being witnessed by the law and the prophets.
22 Even the justice of God, by faith of Jesus Christ, unto all and upon all them that believe in him: for there is no distinction:
23 For all have sinned, and do need the glory of God.
24 Being justified freely by his grace, through the redemption, that is in Christ Jesus,
25 Whom God hath proposed to be a propitiation, through faith in his blood, to the shewing of his justice, for the remission of former sins,
26 Through the forbearance of God, for the shewing of his justice in this time; that he himself may be just, and the justifier of him, who is of the faith of Jesus Christ.
27 Where is then thy boasting? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith.
28 For we account a man to be justified by faith, without the works of the law.
29 Is he the God of the Jews only? Is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also.
30 For it is one God, that justifieth circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.
31 Do we, then, destroy the law through faith? God forbid: but we establish the law.

I am certain you will not find a more informed teacher on the Talmud than Saul. The Book of Romans, along with the Book of Hebrews are fascinating reads especially for Israelites searching to better understand the claims of Jesus the Christ their own prophecies bear witness to!

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: colbe
mrphil, HI~!

When the Holy Eucharist is denied, we as Catholics must help as many as we can come to believe. God can do anything, The Eucharist is His plan, Jesus' presence in the Eucharist is SUPERNATURAL.

www.youtube.com...

Have you seen this YouTube? EVERYONE should watch it. People, the most Holy Eucharist is true and the Blessed
Trinity desires all to believe and one day very, very soon receive the most Holy Eucharist.

God grants miracles to help people come to belief. This Eucharistic miracle in Argentina contains miracles within
miracles. Take the time to listen/watch the scientist explain what they found.

God bless you,

What do you think of the Eucharisitic miracle in Argentina? Science tested, Science is God to some...so sad.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Wow! Our God is truly an awesome God!

As a Catholic I believe in the true presence of Christ in the Holy Eucharist. After the LORD rescued me in misguided zeal I became anti-catholic due to all the anti-catholic sentiment all over the internet and in contemporary western culture. I eventually was confronted with the question with all these different Churches teaching different things, they can not all be right, so which Church is true? After much prayer, reflection, and research I was led back to the Church and have been in love with Her since!

Matthew 16
13 And Jesus came into the quarters of Caesarea Philippi: and he asked his disciples, saying: Whom do men say that the Son of man is?
14 But they said: Some John the Baptist, and other some Elias, and others Jeremias, or one of the prophets. 15 Jesus saith to them: But whom do you say that I am?
16 Simon Peter answered and said: Thou art Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answering, said to him: Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father who is in heaven.
18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Indeed Jesus is Faithful and True. As surely as He lives so too is His Word! Against all odds His Church still stands, shining like a beacon of light piercing the darkness of the world leading those blinded by the spirit of the world to Jesus Christ who can open their eyes, and give them sight to see. She is like a lighthouse guiding souls that are seeking safe harbor from the tossing waves, the tumult of the world.

I'm just praying my Jewish brothers and sisters would come to know the God of their Ancestors, the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob, for He is truly an awesome God, and the Savior King of the line of David He hath sent, His dearly beloved Son, Yeshua Ha'Messhiach! He is the Paschal Lamb of God Who takes away the sins of the world! He died, but He is Risen! The altar of the cross is our salvation! May YOU seek and find Him this very day! Amen

edit on 30-5-2014 by mrphilosophias because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-5-2014 by mrphilosophias because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

He is the Paschal Lamb of God Who takes away the sins of the world! He died, but He is Risen!
Except that there is no such thing as a "Paschal Lamb of God".
Now there is a such thing as a Passover lamb, which according to Exodus has to be a year old.
It is referred to once by Paul in a direct connection with Jesus as a metaphor that we have entered a new phase, or age, which is comparable in a figurative way to how one behaves differently during the Passover.
Peter also makes a Passover metaphor for Jesus, comparing his rightness of behavior with the spotless quality of a lamb used in the Passover ceremony.

There is a "lamb of God" mentioned by John the Baptist in the Gospel of John.
This would be an allusion to the sheep who was "dumb before its shearer" in the Suffering Servant story in Isaiah 53.
This character, the Suffering Servant, raises the status of "sin".
The Greek word often translated as "takes away" literally means to lift up.
The Suffering Servant, accounted as a sinner and actually killed as one, is reassessed by God, and given a position of honor, thus raising the general esteem that God regards other "sinners", which in this world includes everyone.
It's not a perfect analogy, but the author of it in Isaiah thought it was good enough as a parable of how Israel was crushed by the Assyrian and Babylonian empires, then later restored to their land and most of its former status.

The gospel writers (if not John the Baptist himself) and other New Testament writers saw this same parable of Israel quite adaptable to explain the role of Jesus' crucifixion and how it works out to benefit us directly.

The point is that there is no clear connection made in the New Testament between Jesus' crucifixion and the idea of a sacrifice to "pay" for sins.
In fact, even beyond that, I don't find that concept in the Old Testament either.
If you need to pay for something, you either give the person who you wronged, money, or payment in kind, such as living livestock.
Burnt sacrifices connected with sin atonement was preferably the breast fat of a goat which was a tool used by the priest in the commission of his duty of making atonement, to add a fragrant aroma to the atmosphere that would be pleasing to God.

The altar of the cross is our salvation!
Except that there is no such thing as an "altar of the cross".
Jesus himself is offered to us as a type of altar, metaphorically the Mercy Seat, which was the gold cover on the Ark of the Covenant that God's presence would rest over while making judgment.
edit on 30-5-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

...The point is that there is no clear connection made in the New Testament between Jesus' crucifixion and the idea of a sacrifice to "pay" for sins. In fact, even beyond that, I don't find that concept in the Old Testament either.
If you need to pay for something, you either give the person who you wronged, money, or payment in kind, such as living livestock.
Burnt sacrifices connected with sin atonement was preferably the breast fat of a goat which was a tool used by the priest in the commission of his duty of making atonement, to add a fragrant aroma to the atmosphere that would be pleasing to God.

The altar of the cross is our salvation!
Except that there is no such thing as an "altar of the cross".
Jesus himself is offered to us as a type of altar, metaphorically the Mercy Seat, which was the gold cover on the Ark of the Covenant that God's presence would rest over while making judgment

No "type" or "metaphor" as you state Jim, Jesus offering of Himself to the Father for mankind's sins is a fact, the Truth, God's plan. Private judgment of Scripture is heresy, the fruit is error, one can get so far off. God did NOT give
every person reading Scripture the authority to interpret it. He gave that authority to the Church, the faith,
Roman Catholicism. Read the Douay Rheims, a Catholic Bible, see the footnotes for the correct interpretation of
tough verses. www.drbo.org...

Look at all these verses. And Isaiah 53:11-12 foretells Our Lord who is our sinless God offers Himself to the Father for our sins.

II. CHRIST OFFERED HIMSELF TO HIS FATHER FOR OUR SINS

Christ's whole life is an offering to the Father

606 The Son of God, who came down "from heaven, not to do [his] own will, but the will of him who sent [him]",413 said on coming into the world, "Lo, I have come to do your will, O God." "And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."414 From the first moment of his Incarnation the Son embraces the Father's plan of divine salvation in his redemptive mission: "My food is to do the will of him who sent me, and to accomplish his work."415 The sacrifice of Jesus "for the sins of the whole world"416 expresses his loving communion with the Father. "The Father loves me, because I lay down my life", said the Lord, "[for] I do as the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father."417

607 The desire to embrace his Father's plan of redeeming love inspired Jesus' whole life, for his redemptive passion was the very reason for his Incarnation. And so he asked, "And what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? No, for this purpose I have come to this hour."419 And again, "Shall I not drink the cup which the Father has given me?"420 From the cross, just before "It is finished", he said, "I thirst."421

413 Jn 6:38.
414 Heb 10:5-10.
415 Jn 4:34.
416 1 Jn 2:2.
417 Jn 10:17; 14:31.
418 Cf Lk 12:50; 22:15; Mt 16:21-23.
419 Jn 12:27.
420 Jn 18:11.
421 Jn 19:30; 19:28.

www.scborromeo.org...

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: colbe

No "type" or "metaphor" as you state Jim, Jesus offering of Himself to the Father for mankind's sins is a fact, the Truth, God's plan.
A story line in a dream seems real in the moment, but as soon as you wake up, it is seen for what it really is, a delusion.

Private judgment of Scripture is heresy, the fruit is error, one can get so far off.
Maybe in your own little alternative universe.

God did NOT give every person reading Scripture the authority to interpret it.
So then why did Jesus give so many parables that people had to interpret?

He gave that authority to the Church, the faith, Roman Catholicism.
According to the mythology of the private club calling itself the Church.

Roman Catholicism. Read the Douay Rheims, a Catholic Bible, see the footnotes for the correct interpretation of tough verses. www.drbo.org...
I didn't see any footnotes for Isaiah 53 using that link.

"And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."
This is apparently the NIV version (since it is worded exactly like it).
What this is talking about was how in the old system, sacrifices were made even though there is a verse in the Old Testament that says that God didn't want sacrifices.
There was a contradiction because these sacrifices (that God didn't want) were being done because there was this thing called "the Law" that said to make them.
These offerings continued as a reminder that there was sin.
What God really wanted was righteousness.
The writer of Hebrews creates a word picture where Jesus is realizing that he was here, sent by God, and accepting this human body that he was to be integrated with to become the human person he was to be.
So, despite your (colbe) protestations against metaphor, this is exactly what the writer of Hebrews is engaging in.
The point being made is that the second does away with the first, his metaphorical sacrifice of becoming a person with a mortal body replaces the offerings of animals.
He does God's will, negating the apparent, or interpretive "will" people had come up with by reading the so-called Book of Moses.

The sacrifice of Jesus "for the sins of the whole world"416 expresses his loving communion with the Father.
The way this sentence is structured, creating an introduction to a partial quote of the verse, obscures the fact that it is describing a work that Jesus is currently engaged in, making atonement.
The Greek word verb form is Present Indicative Active.
If it was a "sacrifice", as this translation puts it, rather than as an "atonement" as it means literally, it would have been in the Aorist Passive form.

607 The desire to embrace his Father's plan of redeeming love inspired Jesus' whole life, for his redemptive passion was the very reason for his Incarnation. And so he asked, "And what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? No, for this purpose I have come to this hour."419
We are "redeemed" in the figurative sense, by his life of perfect obedience to God, even to the point of submitting to his own death that was not without considerable suffering.
edit on 30-5-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: sk0rpi0n
a reply to: DarknStormy

Information on Robert Morey (wiki)

Moon-god theory :
One of the better known and most controversial assertions Morey made about Islam is that God in Islam is in origin the "moon god" Hubal, a deity worshipped at the Kaaba in pre-Islamic Arabia." Morey argues that the same name of God of Islam, Arabic Allah, was an epithet of Hubal's in pre-Islamic Mecca. He also cites a 1950s era archeological excavation in Hazor, Israel, in what was ancient Galilee, in which a decapitated male statue was unearthed which some archaeologists thought might be Hubal. Morley claims that this provides that moon worship existed in Arabia. He argues that Muhammad adapted it to create Allah, thus supposedly explaining the use of crescent moon imagery in Islam. This "Allah as Moon-god" theory has been widely repeated, adapted and criticised.

I do not know to laugh or cry ! there are many references in their Aramaic gospels from mouth of Jesus as "ܐܠܐ ܐܒܝ" which means "Allah my Father" and then again they come and say muslims have made Allah !

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: maes2

I think you mean Abba, which from what I gather is an intimate an endearing word that means Father. It is a word that a young child might use like Dada! This is very interesting in light of the fact that Jesus taught us that we must be like little children to enter the kingdom!
edit on 2-6-2014 by mrphilosophias because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

We are "redeemed" in the figurative sense, by his life of perfect obedience to God, even to the point of submitting to his own death that was not without considerable suffering.

Christ's death on the Cross, Our Lords "act" to die and open Heaven for humanity was NOT 'figurative." His suffering
agonizing death on the Cross redeemed mankind. I posted verses given by the Church (see the Catechism) to confirm so don't believe the above "figurative" nonsense. The major error of Protestantism is you become your own pope.

I politely ask you Jim to stop dividing up my posts in your return replies. Instead, please reply underneath to the whole. Underline the original shown above if you like. Sometimes it ends up a half sentence from you or your personal insulting negatives. Mrphil's, the OP, you split up his post with 25 comments!

If he did as you do, he would have to comeback with 25 more to reply, oh my gosh, people who do this make it impossible to see the original post together. They're intent. The original poster's comments are lost. And who has the time, no one! I can suggest another....

If you have to make a comment on every single sentence Jim, post the one sentence or two, a post at a time...instead of the overwhelming 25 individually split up comments in a post.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join