It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does ATS keep you indefinitely logged in? If so why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Just wondering how long? I keep fogetinng to log out and never have to log back in. Most forums, maybe a couple hours? Not sure really. Just wondering if ATS is more curious than bothered if I forget to log out.

Thoughts?

edit on 13-5-2014 by sparrowstail because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: sparrowstail

About once a month a have to log in...good thing that it remembers my password cos I forgot it ages back

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I always forget to log out. I have no idea if ATS reads that I'm here all that time or not.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

About once a month a have to log in...good thing that it remembers my password cos I forgot it ages back

Are you sure that its not your browser or operating system that remembers your passwords? Nott sure about that either.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Hey sparrowstail,

What operating system are you using?

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Hi, good question! I never log out either...and sometimes wonder if it show's me "online" here when I'm not...?

jacygirl

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Login isn't determined by ATS.

It's your browser configuration. Cookies maintain your user and your password along with the appropriate scripts from your browser.

I login on multiple PC' and about once a week one of them will prompt me to re-log in. Usually after I've made some change like avatar, or uploads for example.

You will only show ONLINE if you are currently browsing ATS. The timer in your profile is based on the frequency of which that you refresh or change pages.

~Tenth
edit on 5/13/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Thanks for solving the mystery tenth. I use ATS on my phone, laptop and my tab (you can usually tell when I'm on the phone or tab by the terrible spelling and grammar lol)

It never seems to matter which device I use, I'm logged in 99% of the time when I open my browser, even when moving from device to device.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Does ats also use sessions? Just wondering, as sometimes I like to turn cookies off.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Does ATS keep you indefinitely logged in?

One does not simply logout of ATS.....Its forums are guarded by more than just a mere Overlord,,,There are conspiracy theorist there that do not sleep....The moderators are ever watchful...It is a barren wasteland, riddled with shrills and trolls.
The very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten-thousand clicks could you do this.
It is folly...
edit on 13-5-2014 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Ive been logged on for half a year or longer....

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Many of you clearly lack the level of paranoia that comes so easily to me.

I log off via clearing all my cookies at least once a week. I have a complex password, but could probably log in in my sleep. I trust ATS. I don't trust my browser, nor my server company.

So it goes.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bybyots

Hey sparrowstail,

What operating system are you using?

I was using firefox, but it wouldn't load all the icons or tabs just showed them in code boxes with letters and numbers. So I switched over to explorer windows 7, and it loads everything nicely, and keeps me logged in when I forget to hit the logout button and I find it a little odd.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Blowback

Well that closes that case, forget tenths technical explanation, this one makes faarr more sense

Oh and dig the new avatar, or at least the new first half of it

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Does ATS keep you indefinitely logged in? If so why?

No it doesn't.

After about 24 hours or so of inactivity it will automatically log you out (it's somewhere around 24-48 hours).

If you're coming onto the site once a day, that's why ATS shows you as always logged in... it's recognizing your IP address and therefore, actively being on the site.

Try not coming to the site for a full day or two and you'll notice that you have to log back in.

Yes, your browser remembers your login ID and password, but I believe it's the actual site's script that determines account (ip address) activity and frequency.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Thanks, that makes it easy.

I wanted to suggest that you get yourself the latest version of BleachBit.

In the configuration panel just set it to clean up your web browsers. Then run it before you shut your machine down, or after you get done on the web.

It'll log you out of whatever you are signed in to.

edit on 13-5-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I never close the Recent page. It's always open, one of just a few sites I always have a page open on, 24/7. I only close the browser if I need to reboot, and I only log in once every 2 weeks...or 4? I really don't pay attention any more, I re-log in & forget about it until the next time. I'm not always in front of the computer 24/7, and I'm not always on ATS, but the browser's always open and the Recent page is always open regardless. I call it "expedient access". Probably not the best thing to do, but I do it anyway

new topics

top topics

join