It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Hospital Workers Who Treated MERS Patient Fall Ill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Two of the health care workers who treated a MERS patient in Florida have come down with respiratory symptoms, and are being tested to see if they may have caught the mysterious virus from him, hospital officials say.

Doctors say the risk to the general public is very low.

Crespo said 20 health care workers at two hospitals who may have been exposed to the virus are keeping themselves isolated at home and being regularly tested for the virus.

The trouble with treating any respiratory virus is they all have similar symptoms -- fever, cough, body aches. And people get these viruses all the time. it takes about two days to test for something specific like MERS. If MERS is suspected

Okay so maybe this isn't doomsday bio style But it does hit home just how easy it is to transmit new and unique viruses across the globe and in a matter of hours!

This time, it's an exceptionally complicated case. CDC and international health officials are tracking down residents of six countries. "Some are still gone," Cetron said. "They may still be traveling. They may be in hotels. They may be on vacation."

their hunting down hundreds of travelers, crew, other's who may have come in contact with this guy. Some of them still in route, maybe infecting other's as they go about their business. Who knows maybe you stood next to one of these guys at the bank or grocery store? and who's to say now that it's here in the US it isn't going to mutate into something else?

Already this fellow from the CDC said they may have to rethink MERS infection vectors. He said in the story people might be catching it by incidental casual contact. as in your touching the same doorknob he did.

First it was 2 now it might be 4 cases in the US...wasn't that fast...
edit on 13-5-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I have long thought that something of this type is the most likely killer of mankind.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
When I traveled to Eastern Europe (Moldova) during the whole Swine Flu panic, the custom agents in Moldova had thermal cameras to detect people with fevers. The custom agents also wore masks and gloves.

I did not see this in America at the time.

Additionally, to get into Russia as a visitor, you have to have proof of a negative HIV test.

I wonder why America just lets everyone in without regard for public health?
edit on 13-5-2014 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Well crap, this is just east of me via I-4. Plenty of people commute between Tampa Bay and greater Orlando every day, and all it takes is one self-quarantined person not actually doing it to spread something like this around. I hope, for everyone's sake, all the exposed people really are staying away from the public.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
the hospital staff must have been pilfering the patients camel milk mixed with camel urine preferred drink

do a search for that popular concoction in the ME & elsewhere there is a Muslim community...

here is one article: www.inquisitr.com...

...with many visitors expected to visit the nation in July for Ramadan, the risk of contracting the MERS virus is considered to be a public threat.

edit on th31140000218113292014 by St Udio because: snip of mers & ramadan

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I wonder why America just lets everyone in without regard for public health?

Time and money...

Oh sure if you turn up at a customs window bleeding out of your orifices, they will do something about it...something drastic!

But think about how many thousands, tens of thousands enter our borders with the sniffles? can't very will lock them all up until we know for sure what they have...

if we did, who would pay of it?

Time and money, faster cheaper and easier to wave them threw with a 'Bless you' and a fingers crossed deal

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio
the hospital staff must have been pilfering the patients camel milk mixed with camel urine preferred drink

do a search for that popular concoction in the ME & elsewhere there is a Muslim community...
here is one article: www.inquisitr.com...

I did not know Camel milk/urine was a popular drink down in Southern Florida... where these health care workers got sick?

Oh Wait it was done on a dare I bet.

"You drink it! I double dog dare you!"
"Oh no, you drink first and I "triple' your double dog dare back on you!"
"Okay, okay... we both do it at the same time, k?"

Yeah I can totally see that happening in a hospital where health care professionals are always taking swings of dubious looking liquids.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

This is just what I posted in yesterday's thread. People may underestimate this thing but look at the incubation time and how long testing takes. Mark my words it will get worse...if people underestimate it. Here's what I posted in the other thread Yesterday's thread

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Sweat is basicly same stuff as urine ( both has urea ). I suppose they do easy patients symptoms at the hospitals.

edit on 13-5-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I know how you feel I live in Orlando only a few miles from both the airport and the 2 major orlando hospitals. Plus I go to school here...we all know how germ infested schools are. Lot of chances for someone to go to the hospital contract it and carry it into a very populated busy place. If this ends up getting more than a few people at one time we are in for trouble.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Hmm this is disconcerting.

Since this news is from the US, one can never know if it is just the usual US-terror-news, or if the safety precautions of the quarantine site in Floraida were actually that bad.

I hope you get this situation under control. Pandemics are *the* scariest thing.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColCurious

Hmm this is disconcerting.

Since this news is from the US, one can never know if it is just the usual US-terror-news, or if the safety precautions of the quarantine site in Floraida were actually that bad.

I hope you get this situation under control. Pandemics are *the* scariest thing.

Speaking of Pandemics...anyone on here a fan of the mobile game Plague, Inc? If not, I highly recommend it....very interesting to see how viruses spread.

Link to Plague Inc

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

well yeah... and just like in all the good action horror movies
the infection rate is exponential, 1 becomes 2, 2 becomes 4...
but then the laws of math kick in... 4 to the 4th power isn't 8 ---it's "256" and that raised to the 256th power
and on and on and on.

More proof "Math" sucks!

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

This is kind of how the movie the Stand starts.. First its just a few people then more but they don't tell us about that, until it is to late. If you havn't seen the stand it was written by Stephen King, its actually a mini series about 6 hours long in total.

You can watch the entire series Watch the Stand

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

Two of the health care workers who treated a MERS patient in Florida have come down with respiratory symptoms, and are being tested to see if they may have caught the mysterious virus from him, hospital officials say.

Doctors say the risk to the general public is very low.

Crespo said 20 health care workers at two hospitals who may have been exposed to the virus are keeping themselves isolated at home and being regularly tested for the virus.

The trouble with treating any respiratory virus is they all have similar symptoms -- fever, cough, body aches. And people get these viruses all the time. it takes about two days to test for something specific like MERS. If MERS is suspected

Okay so maybe this isn't doomsday bio style But it does hit home just how easy it is to transmit new and unique viruses across the globe and in a matter of hours!

This time, it's an exceptionally complicated case. CDC and international health officials are tracking down residents of six countries. "Some are still gone," Cetron said. "They may still be traveling. They may be in hotels. They may be on vacation."

their hunting down hundreds of travelers, crew, other's who may have come in contact with this guy. Some of them still in route, maybe infecting other's as they go about their business. Who knows maybe you stood next to one of these guys at the bank or grocery store? and who's to say now that it's here in the US it isn't going to mutate into something else?

Already this fellow from the CDC said they may have to rethink MERS infection vectors. He said in the story people might be catching it by incidental casual contact. as in your touching the same doorknob he did.

First it was 2 now it might be 4 cases in the US...wasn't that fast...

uh, this makes me a little nervous. In my town, two people had been diagnosed with MERSA, and since last week, I had those same symptoms, had to go to the ER but they never ran blood tests and determined that I have Asthmatic Bronchitis. So they put me on Zpack, Bactrim, Prednisone and I had two breathing treatments.

They didn't give me an IV even though I was dehydrated from the fever.

I am now wondering why, after a week of this, that I still have the respiratory problem. They told me in the ER that Asthmatic Bronchitis was contagious and yet everyone around me says it is not, so they keep passing it around. I can't get MERS, I have MS and it will make it worse.

But yes, in Grant County, two people were diagnosed in this hospital with MERS, it was in our local newspaper. Now I am worried that this Asthmatic Bronchitis might be something else. Thank you for sharing this.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

T S Eliot

Let's hope this bug doesn't mutate into something really nasty!!
edit on 13-5-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

That's the way your world ends...

My world ends after months of being held captive in the Playboy Mansion.

Self-inflicted of course.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

*Nevermind. There are probably games about everything out there by now.
edit on 13-5-2014 by ColCurious because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

FYI
MERS and MERSA are two different things.

MERS

Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) is viral respiratory illness first reported in Saudi Arabia in 2012. It is caused by a coronavirus called MERS-CoV. Most people who have been confirmed to have MERS-CoV infection developed severe acute respiratory illness. They had fever, cough, and shortness of breath. About 30% of these people died.

MERSA

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is a bacterium responsible for several difficult-to-treat infections in humans. It is also called oxacillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (ORSA). MRSA is any strain of Staphylococcus aureus that has developed, through the process of natural selection, resistance to beta-lactam antibiotics, which include the penicillins (methicillin, dicloxacillin, nafcillin, oxacillin, etc.) and the cephalosporins. Strains unable to resist these antibiotics are classified as methicillin-sensitive Staphylococcus aureus, or MSSA. The evolution of such resistance does not cause the organism to be more intrinsically virulent than strains of Staphylococcus aureus that have no antibiotic resistance, but resistance does make MRSA infection more difficult to treat with standard types of antibiotics and thus more dangerous.

MRSA is especially troublesome in hospitals, prisons and nursing homes, where patients with open wounds, invasive devices, and weakened immune systems are at greater risk of infection than the general public.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
BRAKING NEWS!!THOSE HOSPITAL WORKERS TESTED NEGATIVE FOR THE VIRUS!

Op you might need to recheck the status ofa story fromtime to time. its good ya posted it though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join