It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homer Simpson is a Genius!!!... or not

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
We all know there are some crazy theories about the simpsons, like they can predict the future and so on, but did you know Homer is actually almost a genius?

It all began on Season 10 episode 2 when Homer realized he wasted half his life without doing anything and to change that he just needed to be an inventor as Thomas Edison, his inventions were not so good (until some were attributed to Edison himself) but in one of his theorizing sessions he made this

Seems familiar? no??? look the second equation (also note the fine donuts math
) nothing?

Well there is some famous guy called Pierre de Fermat, he was an amazing mathematician that leave one final theorem unproven, this was one of the most annoying spines for mathematicians until it was first proven in 1994, 350+ years after Fermat time. the theorem:

No three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation a^n + b^n = c^n for any integer value of n greater than two.

Now grab a calculator and see Homer numbers=== 6.39767E43 on one side and 6.39767E43 in the other, Homer is a genius!!! he proved Fermat wrong

Or not, you see if you do this and you see less than 10 decimals you would think that Homer is right, but in reality is a near miss and after 10 decimals the numbers does not coincide.

6.39766563496986E43=/=6.39766563484867E43

So there you have it, just because something seems very similar means is the same, you need to be very careful with what you consider as some people may know more than you and try to make you believe false pretext, Homer is just a fun example but if an engineer would make such mistake what would happen to the bridge or whatever is building. numbers are easier to see than people lies, what else are we missing in our life due to approximations, what lies are we swallowing?

I hope you like this peace of Simpsons math, its amazing how much effort they put into the most minimal detail

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigent
We all know there are some crazy theories about the simpsons, like they can predict the future and so on, but did you know Homer is actually almost a genius?

It all began on Season 10 episode 2 when Homer realized he wasted half his life without doing anything and to change that he just needed to be an inventor as Thomas Edison, his inventions were not so good (until some were attributed to Edison himself) but in one of his theorizing sessions he made this

Seems familiar? no??? look the second equation (also note the fine donuts math
) nothing?

Gotta watch out for the Alex Jones of this world.

Well there is some famous guy called Pierre de Fermat, he was an amazing mathematician that leave one final theorem unproven, this was one of the most annoying spines for mathematicians until it was first proven in 1994, 350+ years after Fermat time. the theorem:

No three positive integers a, b, and c can satisfy the equation a^n + b^n = c^n for any integer value of n greater than two.

Now grab a calculator and see Homer numbers=== 6.39767E43 on one side and 6.39767E43 in the other, Homer is a genius!!! he proved Fermat wrong

Or not, you see if you do this and you see less than 10 decimals you would think that Homer is right, but in reality is a near miss and after 10 decimals the numbers does not coincide.

6.39766563496986E43=/=6.39766563484867E43

So there you have it, just because something seems very similar means is the same, you need to be very careful with what you consider as some people may know more than you and try to make you believe false pretext, Homer is just a fun example but if an engineer would make such mistake what would happen to the bridge or whatever is building. numbers are easier to see than people lies, what else are we missing in our life due to approximations, what lies are we swallowing?

I hope you like this peace of Simpsons math, its amazing how much effort they put into the most minimal detail

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
You had me at "grab a calculator", Indy

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Hey dangit I AM SMART!!!
Oh!!!
mmmm doughnuts.....

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Thanks for sharing that.
It was a really interesting read.

I do appreciate that piece of "Simpson's Math".

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

Oh noes more misspellings and no way to fix them now
, one of the reasons I'm here is to practice my english, seems its not working out as intended

I'm glad you like it

edit on 15-5-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

If English isn't your first language than you are doing great!

Most folks who grew up using English cannot achieve a legible sentence, much less a thread about Fermat's Last Theorem. So I think it's working out better than you admit.

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
As many see my signature and don't read the topic i must clarify Homer is not a genius

new topics

top topics

join