It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moscow to ban US from using Russian rochet engines for military launches

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Moscow is banning Washington from using Russian-made rocket engines, which the US has used to deliver its military satellites into orbit, said Russia’s Deputy PM, Dmitry Rogozin, who is in charge of space and defense industries.

According to Rogozin, Russia is also halting the operation of all American GPS stations on its territory from June 1.

Russia currently hosts 11 ground-based GPS stations, the Deputy PM said.

Moscow to ban US from using Russian rochet engines for military launches

Just breaking on RT, so Moscow is banning the delivery of Russian Rockets to the military.

I think this shows how serious both sides are starting to get with one another. I think actions like these aren't that easely undone again and shows how far and how long they are willing to go.

Also will they band the GPS system in Russia, probably to replace this with their own version in the future? Much like Galileo from Europe.

According to Moscow this action follows because the US refused to place a signal correction station for Russia’s own space-based satellite navigation system, GLONASS, on American territory.

Either way, whether you still believe in this charade or not, it seems this conflict will only worsen and we will be pulled back in some Cold war scenario.

But i'm sure spaceX stocks just skyrocket hehe.... See what i did there...exit stage left.

To add some more information :

As bloomberg reports :

The Pentagon has no “great solution” to reduce its dependence on a Russian-made engine that powers the rocket used to launch U.S. military satellites, the Defense Department’s top weapons buyer said.

“We don’t have a great solution,” Frank Kendall, the undersecretary of defense for acquisition, said yesterday after testifying before a Senate committee. “We haven’t made any decisions yet.”

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered the Air Force to review its reliance on the rocket engine after tensions over Russia’s takeover of Ukraine’s Crimea region prompted questions from lawmakers about that long-time supply connection.

United Launch Alliance LLC, a partnership of Lockheed Martin Corp. and Boeing Co., uses the Russian-made RD-180 engine on Atlas V rockets.

And then this little snippet :
He further added that Russia will not extend its partership in the International Space Station beyond 2020.

This is for the long run, interesting times indeed.
edit on thAmerica/Chicago513uk2014 by MessageforAll because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Maybe we could use advanced catapults, or go with the Russian suggestion that we use trampolines?

Anyone else find it kinda embarrassing that we are dependent on foreign countries in one way or another to get into space?

One day maybe Americans will wake up to find themselves living in a country that has just achieved 3rd world status at every level?

edit on 13-5-2014 by ausername because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ausername

Well I find it more embarrassing they pretend they have no other "easy" solution. The Navy space command is real, let them declassify some of that tech. Rockets would be the least of their troubles lol.

Still, this just shows there won't be a quick de-escalation.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I'm much more worried about how much stuff my country gets from China and their cozying up with Russia if we are heading into a Cold War scenario.

I'm just really peeved how we spent 50 years hating commies, and yet one of our largest trading partners less than 25 years after the fall of the Soviet Union is a communist nation that has a decent relationship with the vestiges of our former enemy number 1, a former enemy number 1 that is now run by a former KGB agent.

How is this not a major national security threat from the American perspective, especially given recent events?

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Now, why is the US buying rocket engines from Russia in the first place
Can't we make our own engines and employ our own people? I understand that our government doesn't want us working on jobs that create what we need, I just can't figure out how come they don't cover up this very well. We need to get more intelligent people running our country, ones that understand how a Economy is supposed to work. We should create all sorts of jobs for our people so everyone can work. We don't need anymore workers in computer technology, we need people making toasters and blenders....and rocket engines.
edit on 13-5-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

My guess would be that the US/Russia are partners in some kind of extremely secretive space program outside of NASA and Russia's public program.

Up there we're not American or Russian -- we're Human.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Kudos and good for the Russians, someone with the power MUST stand against the tyranny of the U.S of the EHH and her allies sooner or later.

Kissing arse is not an OPTION anymore.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Now, why is the US buying rocket engines from Russia in the first place
Can't we make our own engines and employ our own people? I understand that our government doesn't want us working on jobs that create what we need, I just can't figure out how come they don't cover up this very well. We need to get more intelligent people running our country, ones that understand how a Economy is supposed to work. We should create all sorts of jobs for our people so everyone can work. We don't need anymore workers in computer technology, we need people making toasters and blenders....and rocket engines.

because the current administration ended the NASA funding for us to have our own rockets, requiring us to partner with Russia to be able to launch to space.......

I said at the time as did many others this was a HORRIBLE idea........and that making us more and more dependent on other countries that we have volatile relationships with was stupid move.....

And yet no one batted an eye.......

The gov continues to do this, and has for years.........it is systematically delivering this nation into the hands of people who would seek our destruction......

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
It does surprise me that the US doesn't have any way to get into space and replies on a foreign country. My guess this is only a while as they prepare the next phase in space flight.
As the shuttle program ended a new program should have been ready to start within a few months.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: rhynouk
It does surprise me that the US doesn't have any way to get into space and replies on a foreign country. My guess this is only a while as they prepare the next phase in space flight.
As the shuttle program ended a new program should have been ready to start within a few months.

We do, its called the private sector, and to that end I think its good.....

Its about time America did something , produced something, spear headed SOMETHING , that wasnt done by the government.....

Space innovation by the American private sector could one day bring us back from the ashes again.......America needs a second industrial revolution of some sort to pull us from the brink.....

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
This can only be a good thing tbh... It will likely force classified technology to be declassified

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Guess that means more jobs returning to the USA.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Maybe if the world worked like how we all want it to work. But in reality, the government will just outsource rocket production to the private sector (with subsidies of course). The private sector will outsource the rocket production to another country, say India, and the only new jobs created would be high end managerial positions that we already have too many of.
edit on 13-5-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Guess that means more jobs returning to the USA.

Which will be outsourced to Taiwan, South Korea, Mexico and India.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

IF you believe NASA would ever produce something worthwhile you are mistaken. NASA is the kids program, the adult space agency has other means to get from here to there.

I wonder, does anyone know what America supplies Russia with? I guess the next US sanctions will try to affect the country more then Putin.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Russia ? Surly not because they are so backwards acording to some people that they need France to build ships for them

Make no mistake that Russia rules the world when it comes to rockets but hey if you think that fighting a war with Russia would be easy just because the bankers told your masters to do it then thats up to you.

Good on Putin giving some back

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
If Russia is still a threat, which I believe the US believes, why are GPS ground stations there? That would seem to be a security breech. I understand location but that means they can tamper or destroy them at will.

I have to wonder if the US vs Russia is nothing more than a scheme for both countries to maintain their MICs for the money making opportunity for suppliers and political kick backs.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MessageforAll

IF you believe NASA would ever produce something worthwhile you are mistaken. NASA is the kids program, the adult space agency has other means to get from here to there.

I wonder, does anyone know what America supplies Russia with? I guess the next US sanctions will try to affect the country more then Putin.

Who said anything about that? They did produce a lot of things before the 80s they produced the current craft we use for space exploration , shuttles , satellites etc.....

So to say they cant is a bit disingenuous ..........

However I still maintain that the best bet is our private sector and its ingenuity........

Your above statement eludes to you knowing something about what the "adult" agency is capable of? please do tell what you are privy to........

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Woops, that comment of mine did come of a tad to harsh, certainly wasn't meant.

Search the forum for Navy space command, it's a thread from a former member here who made a very awesome thread with lots of pictures and sheets and well cool stuff.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I guess our side should have more carefully considered that whole 'global village' thing, eh? We start throwing sanctions around like consolation prizes on a carnival midway with about as much understanding of impact, and others will painfully remind us how very short sighted we're being.

Umm...One doesn't just 'slap around' another world power and NOT get badly hurt for the experience. Anyone doing it to us would go away hurt. We just had too damn much hubris to even allow for the concept of that being done TO us.

Err.. Surprise I guess.. We aren't quite God-Like after all. Now, on to that finding a way to negotiate rather than instigate. Our side really has failed on that part in spectacular ways and for over 12 years now.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join