It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rest In Peace H. R. Geiger.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Dead at the age of 74

I was a fan of his work since I realized how much of his art went into Alien (s) and I have always found it interesting.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
There is a Youtube video doco out there about the man, mostly related to the movies.

Strange fella.

Great artist.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

His art in the National Lampoon and other magazines, as well as his movie work, made his style easily recognizable - the Doors test to true fame (most people can tell a good Doors song during the first few notes). A life well lived and shared.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
awww the death of a legend.

When i was 16 my art final was a stereoscopic picture inspired by him that basically saved my end grade because my coursework was horrific.

He will be missed. Rest in peace you talented but extremely strange person.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Thankyou - for this thread - I just saw the news at the BBC - his work has always captivated me.
It is a sad day, and a heavy loss.

In the future, when history looks back at the greatest of artists - his name will be prominent among them.
RIP HRG

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
While Geiger had a very striking original style i found some of his work to be very flat. He never seemed to progress beyond his alien work. A great artist yes but one of the greats..im not so sure.

Im sure he will be missed.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
My dad met him many years ago and he was given a book with all his alien work on it.
I got my hands on it and crayond all over it lol be worth a bomb today.
Rip talented dude.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

His 'Work' came before the 'Alien' stuff, the Alien stuff is what made him well known though.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Yes i prefer his early stuff, its was more varied and much more well thought out.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Necronomicon

I was a foreign student in my first week at a British university. Found the book in the campus bookshop. I'd seen the ELP cover ant the first Alien movie, but this was like nothing I'd ever seen before, and I was hooked. I still think he's great, though I agree with you that he definitely isn't one of the greats. The cerebral and emotional dimensions simply aren't there. He depended a lot on shock value, and the repetition of certain themes and motifs simply ceased to be shocking after a while.

edit on 13/5/14 by Astyanax because: of you.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
He was a great artist, sad that the high nosed arts scene despised him.

I met him once, while he openend his Museum at the chateu de gruyere, great place.

Ah, and by the way his name is Giger, not Geiger.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I am reminded of when I was younger, and my sister had an album by the Dead Kennedys, I believe it was Frankenchrist.
There was an insert inside by Giger, called Landscape XX...very unusual and controversial at the time. Our mom destroyed it.
edit on 5/13/2014 by aboyandhisdream because: wording

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I too lost a friend He was one of the "Paper Tiger " publishing company Patrick Woodroffe
.www.antimusic.com...

He did a work that included albums called the Pentateuch of the Cosmogony",pen and ink to die for a Master layer painter.
Sorry for the digression.
edit on 13-5-2014 by cavtrooper7 because: forgot to add his name and it is off topic a bit.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
He was a visionary of the modern art form, combining both the biological and the mechanical aspects to his pieces. He saw things in a different light.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I first came across Geiger's artwork when I bought 'Brain Salad Surgery by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer (ELP) back in 1973. I thought it was a very striking piece of artwork then, but to see it come alive a few years later in Ridley Scott's Alien was brilliant.

He was certainly a good artist, but is ne up there in the pantheon of the true great artists of history...I think that is debatable? RIP.
edit on 13/5/14 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
May he rest in peace and may the LORD watch over he as he continues his journey thru Existence.
I was definitely a fan of his xenomorph (ALIEN)s art.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Very sad to hear the news of this, his anti-surrealist style as I have come to call it, was an inspiration to me for years.
I'm glad I kept every single book he ever published from Necro. to Bio. in perfect condition. I tried for years to get some of his sculptures but they were all way too over priced for the investment at the time. The only print I have now is a litho identical to this one:

I fell in love with the print due to it having some color versus his others.
God Speed. . .

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Very sad to hear this, I always found his work fascinating. We were lucky enough to visit the museum and bar in Gruyeres, Switzerland when we were over there, it was amazing!

top topics

join