It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me get the most of my YouTube App.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I recently cut from cable TV and got myself a Roku. It's cheaper, and my TV experience is better than it's ever been. I only watch my interests, from sources I enjoy, on my time. The closest I have to commercials are movie & game trailers that I chose to follow. I'm just starting to realize the full potential of the YouTube App and I want ATS to help with some suggestions.

I want to make sitting on my ass to watch TV more beneficial. I'm looking for the most thought provoking channels on YouTube. I already have the more obvious major channels like National Geographic, Nova, Vice, TED, and different News networks. I know I'm not even scratching the surface.

These apps are going to kill traditional TV, so Lets build a collection of channels that speed up the process and make the transition easier.

Since this is ATS, and we all complain about TV and how it rots minds, lets watch the stuff that's good for the mind.

Give your favorite Documentary channels, Science, History, Nature, News, Politics, Conspiracy, Paranormal, How to, Cooking etc... Any interest that reverses the damage of garbage tv. Music, and Funny videos are welcome as well, but reversing brain rot should be the focus.

Even if you think it's obvious, who cares, name the best.
edit on 05pm06pm312014-05-12T18:01:15-05:0006America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: mahatche

I've just recently realised there is a lot of full length movies on youtube. I threw my tv out many years ago.

There are a few that have channels for full movies, but I tend to just search for them.

A good way to search is to type into the search box something like this -

Movie full thriller -"bollywood" -"korean" -"comeddy"

Anything in the -" " will be ignored, its a great way to filter the results.

edit on 12-5-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
They are short little 5 minute bursts but "Stuff They Dont Want you to Know" is a solid little channel. You can knock out a few of those before you are off and studying something new.

Oh and you can find about any MST3K episodes you want if that is something you like. I certainly do.
edit on 12-5-2014 by underduck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Great idea, i'll start with a few of my favourite youtube shows & channels.

NDEAccounts - A channel dedicated to sourcing all Near Death Experience video's and putting them in 1 channel.

NDEAccounts

AMC Movie Talk - A daily movie news channel with straight talking folk and recently voted the best movie show online.

AMC Movie Talk

HerbsPlusBeadWorks - A canadian naturalist who makes video's on remedies that are naturalistic and a lot of the times suppressed. His turpentine video was the most eye opening and can testify to it's results. He's a bit weird but don't let that put you off, he knows his onions.

HerbsPlusBeadWorks
edit on 12-5-2014 by mclarenmp4 because: sp

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: underduck
They are short little 5 minute bursts but "Stuff They Dont Want you to Know" is a solid little channel. You can knock out a few of those before you are off and studying something new.

Oh and you can find about any MST3K episodes you want if that is something you like. I certainly do.

I love MST3K, thank you for mentioning it.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Spacerip is cool.
eyecandy and good learnin's
www.youtube.com...

Sittin on the couch and playing music is also cool
www.youtube.com...

Hi def views of the Ocean floor. Strange critters!
It's cool. (like 35 degrees F)
www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Cartoon hangover and Bravest warriors (honest it isn't for kids).

See more here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

For music, Luciano Renan YT channel has great classical guitar performances. Not the style, but he finds masterpieces and does his arrangement which gets lots of good comments, likes from people who have knowledge of great music.

I am mobile so can't in-bed sample.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
If you have android try the tubemate app with it you can download videos from youtube .
Learned about the app from 2nd son as dont watch tv myself ..

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
So far I've enjoyed the suggestions, I wasn't familiar with most of them.

I hope more contribute to take this further. I never gave YouTube Channels much thought until I got this TV app. I'm just now weeding through the more popular channels, but I know some of you go much deeper into the mind twisting parts of youtube than I do. I never did subscriptions, I'm just the guy that falls into black holes of randomness until eventually landing on UFO videos.

Here's some of the basics I have set up now (minus most major Networks and News sites ). Even this basic list provides more food for thought than I was used to on TV.

Vice News and Vice are my two favorite.
Adult Swim good for my childish side
BBC Earth
Ben Swann
Best Of Science
Big Think
Cambridge University
GCP Grey
Dan Izzo great historic footage
Daptone Records Good Soul Music
FFreeThinker
ForaTv
Hard Science
Harvard University Press
High Focus Records Hip Hop from the UK
House Hold Hacker
Intelligent Channel
IQSquared
MIT
Mello Music Group
Minute Phisics
MOVIECLIPS Trailers
Munchies
Nature Video
New Scientist
NOVA PBS
Okay Player
Joe Rogan Experiance
RhymeSayers Entertainment
Carl Sagan's Cosmos
SciShow
TeamCoCo
The Documentary Network
The Bad Astronomer
Veritasium
WIRED

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: underduck

Most videos are better in short burst. 5-10 minutes won't certify anyone as an expert, but it's enough to get the thought juices flowing. The format and length of TV has more to do with advertisers than substance anyway. Some of these shorter videos are more informative than the 30 minute TV shows packed with drama and filler.

Short videos make breaking away from the TV easier too.
edit on 05am02am312014-05-14T02:11:15-05:0002America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I completely agree. I really enjoy that little show. A lot of that stuff was new to me when I heard about it. Stroll back to ATS and run a search and get to reading. I sent you a little message here on ATS for some more MST3K stuff by the way.

new topics

top topics

join