It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All-You-Can-Eat Taco Bars Deemed Offensive, Face Campus Extinction

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Well the solution is simple, if they find it offensive, there should be three options that they should exercise: Option 1) Ban all celebrations from Mexico. That means no more celebration of any national holiday from Mexico, no revering such figures as Cezear Chavez, or anything of that nature. No flying or displaying the Mexican flag or national colors.

Option 2) Join in, and maybe show what real Mexican food is like, the variety and richness of the culture.

Option 3) Sit in their room put a pillow of their head and hum real loudly, cause they can't handle that someone is throwing a bigger party for a day than they do..

I am just waiting for someone to turn the tables, on some of the over PC people and make a bigger stink.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: uncommitted

Actually, they didn't dress up like Mexicans. They only used some items for décor. The second article I linked was a Huffington Post article I dug up that was using those pictures to illustrate what they considered to be cultural appropriation. They only picture in the original article showed a girl sitting at a long table with a brightly colored plastic table cloth with a plate of taco. She wasn't wearing anything other than a standard sundress - no sombrero, no mustache, no flag. In fact, none of those items were even in the picture, so you only have the article's written description to go that they were in evidence at all.

The HuffPo pics did not come from these two events.

Thank you for the clarification, just goes to show what the Huffington Post is useful for then doesn't it.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I actually had tacos last night!!
I guess I'm insensitive and racist!!!!!
Oh well. It was good. I love Mexican food.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Too many idiots out there just looking for something to be offended about. They'd be much happier if they'd just live and let live.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Oh come on .... all you can eat tacos ... there is nothing wrong with that. The schools here have some all you can eat spaghetti on Christopher Columbus day. (Heavy Italian population in that part of town). No one has a meltdown.

Sit back and enjoy the food. Relax. If you don't like it ... take a siesta or something.

TACOS .. MMMMMMMM

Not that I'm actually agreeing with the actual people who took offence, but I think you are missing something. It's not the eating of Mexican food (for those who talk about it being Texan in parts, errrmmm, who owned Texas at the time?), if you read, tacos were still partaken. The issue is about the theme of people (according to those who took offence) dressing and acting in an exaggerated stereotype of Mexicans. On a college campus. If you agree with them or not is neither here nor there, but their right to complain is without any question.

If it involved white people blacking up, wearing a afro wig and acting in a stereotypical manner of black people from the slave era while singing minstrel songs and eating corn on the cob, do you think black people would have any right to feel offended by that? If not, why not? What is different?

I've seen black, Asian, and Latino people dress in green and wear shamrocks and green hats and so forth out drinking on St Patty's day and nobody cared or got offended.

Why does everyone have to be offended all of the time? Why not just party at a party?

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
We have a celebration at my work on the fourth of July where everybody dresses up as an 'American' and we have a "US themed" party. People really go for it - cowboy hats, fat suits, hawaiian shirts, the works. People come as bible nutters, KKK members, Dubya etc and we all drink Bud and bourbon. There's a national anthem bit where they change the words, but it's just drunken fun.

I don't see how this is any different to the Mexican thing and can't for the life of me see who would want to discontinue it.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: JuniorDisco

Do you live in Mexico or another non-American country?

And you drink liquor at work?
edit on 5/14/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: intelligenthoodlum33

This sort of thing seems to be picking up steam...

www.cnn.com...

The Mexican student threaten violence and the American kids get punished? Then People protest outside the school and they are "racist"? This is an issue of nationalism, not racism and that's what people need to understand. I think the OP is attempting to call into question the increasing amount of PC killing this country. And I do agree a few misguided souls are typically behind this, but what does it say about our country and culture when we back down at break neck speed over something that barely has merit?

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I find hot dog eating contests more offensive.

And pie eating contests, especially when only allowed to eat with mouth/no utensils.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Damrin

I would have to agree that this is an unsettling trend. People threaten violence, so instead of addressing and disciplining the violent, administrations curtail the freedom of expression of the other kids. Would that not encourage violence as a means of debug with things? Part of a free society is accepting things you may not like.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
those people's heads would explode if they came here.

my friend and i went to a mexican place on tuesday.

chinese chef, aussie bartender, and couldn't tell where the lovely waitress was from. she had a great accent, tho.

how many people go to china town in chinese new year? or little italy on a saints festival?

i wear chinese clothes all the time. my wife likes it when i do.

we have pizza joints run by phillpino's or indians, italian resto's also, chinese chefs.
the people here celebrate anything, lol!

thanksgiving is not so big here but i usually make a dinner or we have a big pot luck at the church, since a bunch of us are american and have asian wives.

anyway, i can't believe those complainers. it doesn't make sense to me.

here you can find a place that celebrates for every holiday in the world!

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsingtao
those people's heads would explode if they came here.

i think you should work on your wording

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I've been saying the same thing for a while. If you are a white person, you must tread lightly for the simple fact that at every turn there will be someone waiting to pounce on anything and turn it into a race or cultural issue. They will claim you are either an outright racist, or that you are "insensitive." It is a bunch of crap. This is part of the problem in our modern society. People have allowed these types of individuals to get away with stuff for too long, thus it perpetuates.

If you even insult a person of a different race you are termed racist. Even though these other races insult your race, somehow that is different. I don't hear anyone complaining then. So it is not about fairness or the moral high ground, it is petty and pointless, and above all meaningless.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Just more politically correct BS.It just seems to alienate different cultural groups from each other in society,IMO.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Do you live in Mexico or another non-American country?

And you drink liquor at work?

I'm in the UK. We drink it after work - it's a party in the shared office where my company is.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
What they didn't like Tacos? Who cares...just don't get any.

An all you can eat place is insensitive based on the food it serves?

Totally ridiculous.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

well in that case, you guys should carry on!

Seriously, I have been known to sing "The Star Speckled Banana" on more than once occasion.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Mmmmm...tacos......

Living in the Great state of Texas all my life, currently stationed here too, tex-mex is a once a week thing, with a Jaliscos virtually on every corner.

I did notice that it was ivy league schools though with the complaints. Oh well, I would have just sat down and ate tacos anyways, what they gonna do? take my "Plate of taco" away from me?

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I wanted ti lighten this up a bit with a story:

My friend and I was layed off from work for a couple weeks. This was back in the early 90's. We had been up drinking beer since the crack of dawn and decided that we were hungry and wanted some Mexican food and drink. So we went to town. Back then, the Mexican restaurant was right beside the Chinese restaurant--the doors were 6 inches apart(same building).

We hadn't been to these before because they were in different locales right before this. Anyway, we walked in, sat down because there wasn't anyone around or waiting at the door. As we were sitting there, this Chinese girl came and asked us what we wanted to drink. My buddy said: "A margarita". I said a "corona please".

She walked away from our table and I said to my buddy: "Don't you think it's kinda tacky having a Chinese girl working in a Mexican restaurant?".

We lost it, laughing, realizing the mistake we'd made. We just got up and walked out. They probably knew we were already skidded. lol But we drank some margiritas and ate some tacos and god only knows what else, and had to have one of our mutual friends' wife come and get us. We were hammered. My head was buzzing like a homelite chainsaw.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join