It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All-You-Can-Eat Taco Bars Deemed Offensive, Face Campus Extinction

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TheToastmanCometh

better yet.

lets stop the Saint Patricks Day shenanigans, with the green beer and etc.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: elg3cko
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

If you don't know anyone who hasn't taken offense to the often deliberate, but sometimes accidental adoption of a your culture, then I suggest you diversify your circle a little bit more. Or don't, I couldn't possibly care less.

There isn't a distinct line drawn for this. Have a look at wiki for a general definition. The two stories cited by the OP were by organizations that have nothing to do with the Mexican culture, therefore to advertise it as such is appropriation. Serve whatever food you like (as they were allowed to in the end), but don't treat culture as decoration for a fund raiser.

Right, they should have stuck with white American culture. Which would be...what exactly?

I took a siesta yesterday, you offended?

edit on 12-5-2014 by BanTv because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
Thanks, bigfatfurrytexan
Yes, I concur. I've been to Mexico numerous times (different parts and regions), and the food is much different in each part - just as it is across Texas and the entire Southwestern USA.
In South Texas, enchiladas are (were traditionally) served with a meat-based gravy, whereas in West Texas it is more common for them to be served with a mole.
I even knew a restaurateur in Tulsa, OK, who had "created" (or - took credit for) the Chimichanga. The restaurant was named "Chimis".
Are you a chef?

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: WanDash

no. but i am fairly deeply involved in cuisine, both personally and professionally.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: elg3cko

You presume too much. You have no idea what my culture is or what circles I travel in. While I may not be Mexican, I can tell you that I am not Hitler's white dream. My blood is nowhere near pure enough for that, so let's not pretend that anyone who can't find offense in this must have no culture of their own.

I don't need to look at wiki to tell me whether I should be offended or not. Very little offends me, simply because I do not choose to perceive the entire planet as out to get me, mock me, etc.

The people complaining about this are the same people who find no problems when their "culturally correct" restaurants decorate in the same tacky fashion as this "Phiesta" was accused of doing. Somehow it is ok then to make money off of it. So the real problem here is that someone other than Mexicans may have benefitted from the "decor"?

I could not care less myself. I just think it's a bit hypocritical.

I'm still going to eat the hell out of some fajitas texanas while wearing a sombrero, in my favorite Mexican restaurant (that is decorated with sombreros, bull fighters, and women with nips poking out in every direction) on my next birthday. Because I can.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
The political correctness of this country is out of control. It seems like the masses are becoming whining spineless pussies whenever anything is mildly offensive.

People are losing their jobs over racism, gay rights, religious affiliation and political affiliation. Does nobody have the courage to have an opinion anymore? I don't support racist ideals, homophobia, or anti-religious people in any way, but god dammit this is THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. We were founded on the freedom of our opinions and affiliations, and I will support peoples right to say anything in this country because it is our god given right to do so.

For example, African American is a passively aggressive term, that segregates black people from our society. I am not racist, but if someone is black, I say they are black, just as they would call me white. I don't go around correcting people and demanding that they should call me Russian-Latvian-Sweedish-Spanish American.

It was Morgan Freeman who pointed out that Black History Month is also passively aggressive towards black people. It should be American History. Just because they were black doesn't mean they need to be separated into a different category or shown special privilege.

Cinco De Mayo is ridiculous. Another excuse for the masses to get wasted drunk and pretend they give a crap about culture. Flying a Mexican flag around in the USA is retarded. There is a reason you are here in this country, and show pride in the current country you reside in, and try to make it a better place for all of us.

If anything is offensive in what I wrote, I am not apologetic. It is my opinion, and I am entitled to it. Stop being sorry and stand up for what you believe in.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
all this talk of mexican food has made me hungry and given me an idea for dinner.....taco's...mmmm....i might even have to pull out a sombrero to celebrate

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
People get "offended" at the drop of a pen. I am annoyed with those who gallivant around with other countries flags within a completely different nation- being proud of where you come from is one thing but doing that simply makes an arse of yourself.
I am half British and half Latin American and I am not offended by those who wish to partake in festivities regarding the "hispanic culture" - will eating chinese food in public be considered offensive in the near future? Really gets the blood boiling I tell ya. . .

~Sovereign

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
So I suppose St. Patrick's day celebrations should be cancelled, as well? What a joke. I am predominantly Irish, and whether you are black, Hispanic, Asian, or anything else, you are welcome to join in on the fun. Wear green, wear clovers, get inappropriately drunk on dyed beer, and have a blast. These PC fools only make themselves look silly with their blind hypocrisy.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
What the heck is this?

A message that says only eat your own ethnic food?

Yeah because thats not racist or anything.....

originally posted by: SovereignEve
People get "offended" at the drop of a pen.

Im offended at your pen dropping.
edit on b1616302 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Spanish food on Cinco de Mayo is "offensive?" LOLOLOLOL MMMMK.....

Hilarious...

Moving on.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: elg3cko

Does that same judgement hold true when white europeans are the "victims"?

German themed places, oktoberfest, this is all culture worn to generate profit. You against that too?

I'm of German descent and it doesn't bother me one bit to have random people dressed in lederhosen or attend oktoberfest gatherings. I'll show that same total lack of concern about the some teary eyed mexicans upset about taco night.

It's really just getting silly now. People pushing this crap don't seem to realize they are loosing all credibility (if not lost)
edit on 13-5-2014 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Someone needs to start slapping those stupid overly-politically correct dicks right in their faces. There is literally no way a taco can be deemed offensive unless you use them to spell out a swear on the ground for ultra-sensitive helicopter pilots.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
People stop acting like true racists, so they continually broaden the term to coincide with the actual decrease in racism, so that no progress is ever actually made, because no matter how people start behaving these types will STILL invent something new to be offended about.

This is potentially damaging to "minorities" and other "vulnerable" populations as it reduces the general populations tolerance for talk of "equal rights" and the like.

Just think, when everyone is sick and tired of hearing about this crap every day they are going to start ignoring it. That means when some true injustice happens it's less likely people will pay attention.

This garbage has deeper and more nefarious ramifications than simply being a buzz kill at party night. Just keep that in mind.

What happened to the boy that cried wolf again?

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
if taco bars upset them, i bet these would really piss them off.

best verse in cheech song.
mexican amercians love education, so they get into night school, and take spanish and get a B

ETA: although i shouldn't say anything i made c's in english

The Frito Bandito did piss them off back in the 1990's. There was a big protest when the food maker attempted to reintroduce packets of crisps in the supermarkets in Silicon Valley.

There was a massive protest complaining that it would risk their children being bullied in school.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: James1982

This is why i ignore little boys crying wolf any more.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Great comedy. College campuses have been a huge source of stupidity going as far back as my experience takes me. And the more affluent the college, the worse it is.

Dartmouth and Stanford. About what I'd expect. Throw any Ivy league school in there along with U of C Berkley and any 'elite' liberal arts-focused institution.

Don't confuse what goes on within these spheres of insanity as reflective of the citizenry at large. Personally, I shake my head and laugh.

Pass the tacos.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

This is getting ridiculous. If anybody non-white plays the race card, administrations tuck their tail between their legs. Jesus people, lighten up. culturally insensitive my dark star, they should have laughed and told them to go eat a taco.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Oh come on .... all you can eat tacos ... there is nothing wrong with that. The schools here have some all you can eat spaghetti on Christopher Columbus day. (Heavy Italian population in that part of town). No one has a meltdown.

Sit back and enjoy the food. Relax. If you don't like it ... take a siesta or something.

TACOS .. MMMMMMMM

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
political correctness is an oxymoron
but it sure beats dealing with real issues

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join