It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All-You-Can-Eat Taco Bars Deemed Offensive, Face Campus Extinction

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on May, 12 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Is the All-You-Can-Eat Taco Bar Offensive?

Apparently, at two different college campuses, recent taco bar fundraisers were scrapped or quietly changed because Latino students complained that they were offensive and culturally insensitive.

At Dartmouth College, the fundraiser was cancelled outright, and at Stanford University, the sorority girls scrapped their Mexican themed “Pi Phiesta” for a summery, ocean-themed one, although they still served tacos.

The groups in question planned the events around Cinco de Mayo with a Mexican theme. Décor would be the usual sombrero or maracas with the usual bright colors. And the food was as much Tex Mex taco as you could eat after paying your entry fee. Nothing malicious.

I guess the Latinos called it culturally insensitive because of cultural appopriation.. Which according to the HuffPo means getting blitzed on tequila while wearing a sombrero and big fake mustache.

Yes, today is Mexican Independence Day. Wait, it’s not? Why are we drinking again? I have an unhealthy amount of tequila, a sombrero and a cut-out mustache I’m ready to whip out, so I’m really hoping this has something to do with Mexico. What do you mean not all Mexicans wear sombreros and mustaches? Is Tequila even Mexican? Yea!? Phew, I was this close to being totally culturally insensitive. So what’s Drinko de Mayo about, again?

But is the girl in the photo in the original article even wearing either item? Does she look blitzed? Nope. She's sitting at a long table with a plate of taco.

So, I guess the moral is that now, even though we Americans are not allowed to celebrate our own culture anymore because it's horrible, racist, Imperialist and to do so would make us look like giant jack@sses and racists and jerks white supremacists and every -ist in the book that's negative ... when we try to adopt a little diversity and celebrate something ... anything, some other culture that we enjoy, we can't do it because it's now cultural appropriation if someone objects and we still wind up being giant racists and jerks.

I suppose the moral of the story is that if you're born a white American. Don't have culture. Any culture.

If you do, the PC Police are coming for you.
edit on 12-5-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Is the All-You-Can-Eat Taco Bar Offensive?

Yep, it is now, and that is why very shortly there will not be a "Chili's" restaraunt to be found anywhere. It's also why dog-food on a tortilla is now accepatable (Chipotle), and "Taco Bell" went "auténtico ".

Having fun yet?

P.S. Oh damn! I'm sorry, I forgot that no one is supposed to notice. It's impolite. Where are my manners?.

Right?

edit on 12-5-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

+9 more 
posted on May, 12 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Riiight. That is culturally insensitive, but go to any Mexican resort town and what do they peddle in all the souvenir shops? Sombreros and maracas. And don't forget a blanket, senor.

Unbelievable.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
When I read this, I just had to laugh a little bit.

When I went to graduate school, I decided to go out of state and since I was studying Spanish, I chose a school out West where the population was nearly completely Hispanic.

All that was served in the cafeteria on campus was.....Mexican food! One day they might hand you a plate of tacos, the next day enchiladas, then burritos...you get the idea.

I don't know.... Is it a case where if everyone is Hispanic, it's okay to have lots of Mexican food, but if they are the minority, then it's suddenly not okay for white kids to eat Hispanic foods?

I don't get what the big deal is, honestly. We are all humans. We all have to eat. Right?

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Im confused....what is insensitive about tacos (outside of them being insensitive to intestines)?

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
One way to begin to understand why this # happens is to understand Pieree Bordieu's work on Symbolic Power and social currency.

There has to be a way to talk about this stuff, and words to talk about it with; fer that we need Bordieu.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
When my mother was pregnant with me, she craved Tex-Mex... We didn't call it Tex-Mex back then... It was just "Mexican Food". That was the only time in her life, she 'wanted' Mexican/Tex-Mex food.
I came out of the gate loving Mexican/Tex-Mex above all other kinds of food/s. Still do...
I was born in South Texas, and raised there, most of my life. Most of the communities I lived in were as abundant in those of Mexican/Hispanic descent as Anglo/White descent...with the intermingling of said races being very common.
To accuse me of cultural appropriation for offering (or partaking of) a Taco or Fajita or Enchilada dinner, is as culturally insensitive as calling the Pope an Atheist.

If they (whoever THEY are) want "their" culture re-appropriated...I want reimbursement for all the monies I've spent on "their" food...while being sold on the notion that it was a part of "my" culture/heritage.
It's not just "their" food/culture...unless "they" are including "Texas" in on "who's culture is being inappropriately appropriated.

"Texas" has no 'standard' for Tex-Mex... New Mexico is different... Arizona is different... California... Colorado...
Better be certain they're identifying which kind of Taco is being served...so the correct "culture" can be appropriately offended.

+3 more 
posted on May, 12 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Just another case of people actively searching for something to be offended by.

Its as if people are taught to search and find anything and everything that could, in some way, be considered offensive and eradicate it by causing a huge scene.

The government doesn't need thought police, the peasants do that job for them and for free.

DC
edit on 5/12/2014 by xDeadcowx because: fixed a typo

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
i had a burrito for dinner last night, should i expect a police raid from the sensitivity brigade? people are just looking for things to complain about now. what a SAD state of affairs.

meanwhile, on st.patricks day....

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: xDeadcowx

It's getting to the point of beyond stupid. You can bet most of the complainers frequent the all you can eat Tex-Mex buffets though.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

...the sorority girls scrapped their Mexican themed “Pi Phiesta” for a summery, ocean-themed one, although they still served tacos.

Huh. A theme following the occasion bad, tacos good. Maybe it was overpriced tacos and fit the every day Capitalism theme.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Cultural appropriation is actually a big issue among many pagan circles. Many people think it's inappropriate to adopt any culture not native to you as your own while others are very care-free and eclectic with it. I take the middle ground and just ask for it to be done respectfully.

I mean... what are average white mutt Americans to do for cultural identity? We have none. We need to get it somewhere.

As long as those kids aren't being disrespectful, they should be allowed to eat all the tacos they want while wearing sombreros.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Nobody ought to mess with my Indian restaurants! And if they try, them and what army???!

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I'm offended that they were offended.

Wait, 'All you can Eat'

Why didn't I get the memo?

I love tacos....With HOT green sauce

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Awesome! Another thread using a few misguided people to bash and generalize an entire group.

This place is becoming a joke

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

i know a thing or two about Mexicans.

Cinco de Mayo is the holiday celebrated in Texas, and most of America. It is when Mexico won the Battle of Puebla, and in theory held off the French, hurting support for the Confederacy during the Civil War.

It has very little to do with independance. That is Dies y Seis de Septembre, which is not celebrated at all in West Texas.

I know very few Mexican folks who drink much tequila. They drink copious amounts of Bud and Coors (yuck). I don't know a single Mexican woman who will let her man drink spirits like tequila.

My Mexican woman gives me the "ojo" for drinking wine. But she gives me ojito's when I am not.

+1 more 
posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

"Cultural appropriation" is a bunch of hoakum.

Our nation is a melting pot of every nationality known to man. If it exists on planet Earth, it exists within our borders. Part of that "melting pot" is the sharing of culture.

I would say that given this, if one feels that they should not share their culture in America with Americans, then perhaps they shouldn't have brought it here to begin with. You cannot ask us to change one of the few things we still do that makes us great.

The funny part about this: it is Ivy League schools that you are seeing the ruckus at. Not in the southwest where Mexicans are happy to share their culture with you.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
It all comes out the same way doesn't it? well maybe different consistencies but don't try to sell me it smells like roses.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

You are absolutely correct. I am Mexican (well my mother is, but I won't say I'm "half") and I was talking to an hispanic at work and he "chastised" me because I said we should go out for cinco de mayo. He told me the real "holiday" to celebrate was in September but I forgot the date because I guess I don't understand "the culture"

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
if taco bars upset them, i bet these would really piss them off.

best verse in cheech song.
mexican amercians love education, so they get into night school, and take spanish and get a B
edit on 12-5-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

ETA: although i shouldn't say anything i made c's in english
edit on 12-5-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join