It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most-Downloaded Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 10:39 PM
link   
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Sharman Networks Ltd. on Thursday said its Kazaa file-sharing software was on track to set a record in the next day as it becomes the most-popular free program on the Web with over 230 million downloads.

By hitting that total, Kazaa would surpass the popular ICQ instant messaging program, Sharman said.

Kazaa's growing popularity comes at a crucial time for the music industry as it battles file-swapping services in court and tries to develop commercially viable online music services.

www.woai.com...

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 10:48 PM
link   
If over 230 million copies of the program have been downloade, it will be hard to arrest everyone that uses the program. It would be a big blow to the economy if that ever happened. Ironicly costing the record companies a lot of money.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 11:01 PM
link   
yes it would be difficult to arrest everyone who downloaded it, but don't kid yourself for a second, if they only arrested 2 people it will be you and me. that's the way luck works.

posted on May, 26 2003 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Its not, Winamp has over 400 million downloads.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 05:20 AM
link   
230 mill!
Glad I could help ... But, shouln't that be an indicator to the RIAA that something is wrong if THAT many people are downloading the damned thing? It ain't us that's the problem ...

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Think about it .. it's not just kazza .. there is imesh, bearshare, morpheus and the most nortorius warez.
Plus all the other de-coders that loom in the darkness of thier homes & computers....

Only question is ... Do they have a big enough holding cell ?

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Hang on so kazaa and imesh and so on are famous for
mp3 downloads as well as others

but. we all know that it takes a very long time to
download any song on kazzaa and it's not safe.
i use kazaa for some mp3s other wise i buy the cd. old music i download newys i buy is that really so wrong?
They will never arrest any one of us as it's not that bad a thing. cops will do it and so will the judge and jury.
and that my say

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Why is Kazza so popular? Its full of add/spy-ware. The copycat program Kazzalite is add/spy-ware free. Many others are aswell. So why?.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 07:58 AM
link   
kazaa lite isn't a copycat. It's more of a hack.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 08:55 AM
link   
kazaa lite is a hacked version of kazaa. the normal kazaa media desktop will not run at all without it's spyware package being installed and running. try taking out the Brilliant Digital Entertainment software BDE, b3d etc etc and see what I'm talking about. Kazaa lite does not come with that garbage in it and still manages to function properly. So yes, it's just Kazaa, but altered. As for getting arrested... you let me know when a court will sanction the arrest of 90% of the youth of america for downloading songs.
Maybe it's a sign to the impotent RIAA that people are sick of paying $20 for a 12 song disc containing 2 listenable tracks.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I like and use Ares from softgap.com

new topics

top topics

join