It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group Preparing to Press Military for Atheist Chaplain

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:
(post by windword removed for a manners violation)
(post by NavyDoc removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Why don't you educate me. What is the difference in the spiritual needs of veterans and active service men and women?

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Why don't you educate me. What is the difference in the spiritual needs of veterans and active service men and women?

Again, dodging the issue--the issue was that you googled "chaplain" and thought that what a VFW wants for a "post chaplain" applied to an active duty officer--those are very different people with very different jobs and the VFW is not associated with the military or the DOD. That is where your lack of knowledge on the subject matter comes in.

Listen, I really shouldn't have been so harsh on you and I'm sorry for that. It is not your fault you don't know what goes on in the military, what is provided or not, or what is needed or not. One cannot be expected to understand what one has not experienced and to be mean to you because of that is not nice.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Threads are not the place for verbal barroom brawls........You are responsible for your own posts.

We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review
edit on Wed May 14 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I still want to hear about spiritual atheism.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
I still want to hear about spiritual atheism.

I'm sure Google would be more than happy to enlighten you on the subject. And I would hate to rob you of the benefits of doing your own research.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I had no idea athiest believed in an afterlife and were spiritual, spiritual, it what sense?

SOME atheists do. I do. I believe we (human beings) are all connected by the bonds of love. I believe we are more than the physical body. I believe that after we die, we still exist in some form, but we go on. I'm not sure of this and I wouldn't want to make any bets on it, but it is a belief I have.

The ONLY thing that atheists have in common is that they don't hold a belief in a deity.

Oops! Sorry, Afterinfinity. Didn't mean to step on your toes.

edit on 5/14/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

You didn't step on my toes. You left plenty of room for Storm to do her/his own research. And research never hurts.

edit on 14-5-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I found something that's relevant to the topic.

They note that when soldiers seek mental health counseling it is noted in their record and reported up the chain of command. But consultations with chaplains are confidential, making them a safe place to discuss the problems soldiers routinely face — loneliness, fear, anxiety and other personal issues.
]Source

This alone is a good reason to want to see a chaplain instead of a psychologist.

There are an estimated 13,000 active duty servicemen and women that identify as atheists or agnostics — more than the number of Muslims, Buddhists and Hindus combined — all of which have their own chaplains. Add to that a significant number — more than 276,000 — who say they have “no religious preference.”

It's a good article.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I had no idea athiest believed in an afterlife and were spiritual, spiritual, it what sense?

SOME atheists do. I do. I believe we (human beings) are all connected by the bonds of love. I believe we are more than the physical body. I believe that after we die, we still exist in some form, but we go on. I'm not sure of this and I wouldn't want to make any bets on it, but it is a belief I have.

The ONLY thing that atheists have in common is that they don't hold a belief in a deity.

Oops! Sorry, Afterinfinity. Didn't mean to step on your toes.

think we can have a topic, I would like to discuss it, but I don't want to start the topic.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

What, a thread on atheist spirituality? Try the search engine, I'm sure there's a few floating around somewhere.
edit on 14-5-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Here's one... www.abovetopsecret.com...

can't we have a new one??

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Here's a thing I find mildly confusing, and I mean this respectfully, earlier I was told that this was not an "athiest" thing and that "athiest" was being used as a perjorative to slant the discussion and now I see an article presented about numbers of athiests being presented as need for chaplain representation. I would hope that one could see how such seems a bit if a dichotomy.

Given that there are 13,000 athiests in the service, most very dedicated and bright professionals, that number really isn't helpful in that it does not show us how many of those would describe themselves as "humanist," nor of those how many feel the need to have a chaplain, nor of those how many would agree or even desire this particular group to represent them.

Thus, I would humbly suggest, that this particular number is not helpful in the discussion nor indicative of any particular need.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Here's one... www.abovetopsecret.com...

Go ahead and start one then.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Personally, and I mean this respectfully, what I find unpalatable is the suggestion that "non-believers" when experiencing a crisis of morality or some other spiritually related issue, should be relegated to some kind of "psychotherapy" or "psychoanalysis" instead of being able to address these issues as remedially as "believers".

On separate note, I was ready to bet dollars to donuts that Scientology has representative chaplains, and I'm delighted to find that the military took measures the other way! At least I can't find any military Scientology Chaplains...............HEHE

edit on 14-5-2014 by windword because: punctuation

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Why are you asking me? LOL If you're curious about it, post it. If you go about it with CURIOSITY instead of from a defensive or antagonistic position, you will probably learn a LOT about people.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join