It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group Preparing to Press Military for Atheist Chaplain

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Stormdancer777

I don't believe in a God or gods, but I believe in reincarnation and that we are all spiritual beings having a physical experience. I believe in a spiritual hierarchy, guides and even spiritual masters, but I don't believe in one god that created and oversees everything, or in a heavenly reward or hell as a punishment.

Interesting, and who is this hierarchy, and where do they exist?

How do you know they exist?

I need to think of more questions.
edit on 063131p://bTuesday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

What do you mean? It is right there. It is not my fault you lack reading comprehension.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Why don't you believe in god or gods? What is your reasoning?

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

You are full of nonsense. I quoted the regs and explained to you how they are practiced.

A shrink cannot reveal medical information unless someone's safety is at stake. They cannot, as you falsely said, reveal it to people to limit promotion or assignment.

It is obvious that you haven't a clue as to who writes fitness reports, decides on promotions, or who decides on assignments (google "detailer") and what they can or cannot access and it is laughable that such a moron without a single clue is even remotely trying to "school" a guy who has been doing that for the majority of his adult life.

You are not a liar, just an ignorant person who had no knowledge of what he pretends to talk about. You wallow in your ignorance and refuse to Lear from people who are actually involved just like a fundimentalist who clings to the belief in a 6000 year old earth in spite of evidence and education to the contrary. Your mind is so incredibly closed and wrapped in ideology that logic and sense has left you.

At some point we have to determine if you are intentionally deceptive, dishonest, or stupid. It seems it is a combination if all three.

edit on 13-5-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

What do you mean "What do you mean"? I bolded the text in question.

I can't make you understand when you adopt willful ignorance.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Why don't you believe in god or gods? What is your reasoning?

My beliefs are not the issue. I merely presented my perspective as an example of a spiritual atheist, which I know is hard for some to fathom. Any further inquiry on my personal beliefs are off topic.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Actually they are quite the issue. Most atheists would laugh at an atheist who believes in reincarnation.

The evidence for reincarnation is just as tenuous and irrational as the belief in a deity.

(post by NavyDoc removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

A shrink cannot reveal medical information unless someone's safety is at stake. They cannot, as you falsely said, reveal it to people to limit promotion or assignment.

Says you! The law is ambiguous. It's based on a "need to know" basis. I never said that medical records would be used for personal retribution. Besides, medical information and confessions offered in a religious setting are two very different things, which is the point of my contention.

You have yet to cite your assertions that military clergy are bound by HIPPA laws or that they are somehow otherwise required to keep confessional records, make recommendations and/or diagnose in regards to personnel counseling.

You have yet to provide any proof that councilees of clergy and those of psychologists enjoy the same confidentiality benefits.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Buddhists don't necessarily believe in a "GOD" deity and yet they do believe in reincarnation. Stop trying to make the argument about me personally and address the issue at hand, Secular Humanism. They're requesting representation in the Chaplain's Office of the armed services. If we're going to ask young men and women to risk their lives and be willing to sacrifice the lives of foreign strangers, the least we could do is accommodate their spiritual requests.

edit on 13-5-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Spiritual requests for what? Non-belief? You (and they) don't even make spiritual requests. Did you even read their website? A handful of people not in the military out of D.C. Half a dozen obese civilian neckbeards who want to sell #. On the front page alone you have multiple opportunities to part with your cash. It is as bad as a televangelist. It is a scam for profit.

Okay, what spiritual needs do these people want?

You show your stupidity again: Buddhists aren't #ing athiests, mate and there are Buddhist chaplains already. So what is missing?

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
lol, nothing is missing, they just jammed in the pissing and moaning.

it's complete now.

is anyone familiar with the old expression, "titts on a bull?"

lol!

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

(post by windword removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Good to know about your disrespect for Veterans of Foreign Wars!

Okay...I was ready for that...

You must obtain an ecclesiastical endorsement from your faith group. This endorsement should certify that you are:
A clergy person in your denomination or faith group.
Qualified spiritually, morally, intellectually and emotionally to serve as a Chaplain in the Army.
Sensitive to religious pluralism and able to provide for the free exercise of religion by all military personnel, their family members and civilians who work for the Army.
Educationally, you must:
Possess a baccalaureate degree of not less than 120 semester hours.
Possess a graduate degree in theological or religious studies, plus have earned at least a total of 72 semester hours in graduate work in these fields of study.
Applicants for active duty or the National Guard MUST be U.S. citizens. Permanent residents can ONLY apply for the Army Reserve.
Be able to receive a favorable National Agency Security Clearance.
Pass a physical exam at one of our Military Entrance Processing Stations (MEPS).
A minimum of two years of full-time professional experience, validated by the applicant’s endorsing agency (This requirement is not applicable to Army Reserve applicants).

Since Humanism is a recognized religious association in the US Military, both Jason Torpy and Jason Heap qualify inder the Army requirements to be a Chaplain.

Your ignorance and intolerance is showing!

edit on 14-5-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Okay...I was ready for that...

You must obtain an ecclesiastical endorsement from your faith group. This endorsement should certify that you are:
A clergy person in your denomination or faith group.
Qualified spiritually, morally, intellectually and emotionally to serve as a Chaplain in the Army.
Sensitive to religious pluralism and able to provide for the free exercise of religion by all military personnel, their family members and civilians who work for the Army.
Educationally, you must:
Possess a baccalaureate degree of not less than 120 semester hours.
Possess a graduate degree in theological or religious studies, plus have earned at least a total of 72 semester hours in graduate work in these fields of study.
Applicants for active duty or the National Guard MUST be U.S. citizens. Permanent residents can ONLY apply for the Army Reserve.
Be able to receive a favorable National Agency Security Clearance.
Pass a physical exam at one of our Military Entrance Processing Stations (MEPS).
A minimum of two years of full-time professional experience, validated by the applicant’s endorsing agency (This requirement is not applicable to Army Reserve applicants).

Since Humanism is a recognized religious association in the US Military, both Jason Torpy and Jason Heap qualify inder the Army requirements to be a Chaplain.

Your ignorance is showing!

Actually no, degrees in finance and engineering do not meet the criteria, nor, even though it is a recognized association to put on a dog tag, there is no real ecclesiastical organization other than their little club, so there is no certification that is recognizable.

As for your moronic error, which still is making me laugh, what's next, posting the qualification for being a Chaplain at an Elk's lodge?

That's the thing, so are so incredibly ignorant about the military and refuse to learn from those in the military and love to wallow in your own ignorance, that you actually posted the VFW post chaplain's requirements.

That's why this conversation will never go anywhere--you are ignorant, love being ignorant, and refuse to learn anything.

LOL...VFW...still chucking about that.
edit on 14-5-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

No. Jason Heap is a religious scholar.

A separate organization, The Humanist Society, endorsed Oxford-educated religious scholar Jason Heap last year to be the first-ever humanist chaplain in the U.S. Navy.

Jason Torpy's qualifications on the topic of Humanism are also quite impressive. www.militaryatheists.org...

Humanism is a relatively new ideology that reflects an ageless common sense ideology. But, I can see the need for a comprehensive understanding of various religions, due the programming that one needs to break free of........

there is no real ecclesiastical organization other than their little club

Welcome to the Church of Humanism and its division,the Humanist Foundation. Founded in 1973, the Church of Humanism, located in New York City, is the only Humanist religious organization that affirms God as a fusion of naturalism and realism.

Our philosophy of life is based on a deep faith in the values of reason, love, and intuition and a call to conscience that relates particularly to issues of justice, freedom, and peace. We greatly value the study and the application of humanistic psychology and philosophy, and we take inspiration from the wisdom of Martin Buber, Erich Fromm, Hannah Arendt, Carl Rogers, Karen Horney, Stanley Krippner, Wilhelm Reich, and other pioneers in the field of human relations.
www.humanistfoundation.org...

The Lay Leader endorsement meets requirements for military and informal leaders to qualify for Celebrant status (they are not clergy). The Celebrant and Associate Celebrant designations are legally considered equivalent to clergy/ordination with authority, among other things, to solemnize weddings.
humanist-society.org...

Church Without God - By Design

What is a Humanist Chaplain?

Institute for Humanist Studies

American Humanist Association

International Humanist and Ethical Union

The Humanist Society

Navy Doc, you're fighting windmills! LOL

Humanists are up and coming, and in time, probably sooner that you think, they'll take their rightful place in the military Chaplain's Office.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join