It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crafty Crows Build Nests Out of Stolen Coat Hangers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
They never cease to amaze me, the intelligence of crows. Who would have thought coat hangers would be their pick of choice

In large cities like Tokyo where there are few trees, birds may find it hard to come by nesting materials. Because of this lack, crafty crows have begun to use wire coat hangers to build their abodes, stealing them from nearby apartments. Crows’ nests are typically composed of interlocking twigs and some wire to create a sturdy structure for the birds’ eggs so it’s not hard to understand how hangers could be deemed appropriate materials by the crows. These wiry nests appear sculptural in their construction, their placements among tree branches marking a stark contrast between the natural and man-made. Crows are intelligent creatures and have been known to recognize human faces, bend wires into hooks in order reach food, crack open walnuts by dropping them from a height, and even memorize garbage truck schedules in order to track down food supplies

Source

What next, bricks and mortar from a nearby construction site? I wouldn't be surprised.

I would never had thought they would use such a thing, and to go to apartments to steal them. But then again, I'm not a Crow

Cheers
edit on 12-5-2014 by Spiro because: someone pinched my dictionary

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
That is awesome, and creepy how long till they go all the birds on us, they are always watching

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Cool!

What did they do with the clothes? lol

(joking)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I worked on a bridge construction job and the pidgeons would make nests out of discarded tie wire. The iron workers would trim off the excess, toss it on the deck and the birds would grab it up. They would weave it perfectly into a nest with no sharp ends sticking out. Really amazing. Thanks for reminding me of that lol

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiro

Looks like it might entangle any egg thief too. I didn't know they built nests so low.

I have some that I I feed and they bring their young back and have them ask for food. I have a certain reply I use when I am going to bring them some fruits, nuts or cereal they then fly to the right tree and wait.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

I have a family I do the same for, it's been years now.

It's funny how rewarding helping other things out can be, they are killer smart and remember my family by face.

The crows I feed and talk at will on occasion follow my truck around the small town I live in and squak at me from various locations...lol. It's really funny.

Next to cats and dogs (I live with both) crows are the only other critter that openly try to openly communicate with people I have encountered....if you don't count swimming with dolphins.

Over my life time I have been observing a singularity concerning animal understanding and care(respect) from my fellow being, I find this immensly comforting I must say.

Nice OP too and one of my favorite topics next to plants.

Cheers every body

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Apparently the little buggers are also fond of snatching other things as well.

Doritos and GoPros for example...

posted on Jul, 6 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Awesome

I wonder how they found the cameras again, or perhaps they were found by another person and uploaded? I think the latter is more plausible

These made me laugh a lot.

Oh, and your Avatar scared the bajasus out of me ha ha, wasn't expecting him to move :lmao:

new topics

top topics

join