It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chuffin stop using "retarded" as an insult..grrr

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Words should just be words, they shouldn't have such a deep meaning behind them. Unfortunately having PC allows for a break down of language. It keeps people occupied on PC & distracted from more important things. Also if you have a break down of language it makes it harder for people to communicate to each other that there are issues that need to be resolved.

I do admit that there are some words that bother me, (not sure if I can swear on here so to be on the safe side) like C**t & when people use gay & fag in a derogatory way. I have to try to not let them have so much power

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
At one time the words "imbecile" and "idiot" were used on the U.S. census to describe one's level of retardation. Now those words are considered to be insults. Whenever a new word is adopted to describe people with birth defects, eventually it becomes an insult. Some day I suppose the term "mentally challenged" will also be considered an insult. Maybe we should just stop labeling people.
Sal

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I mean no disrespect and I get what you are saying, but please the last thing we need is the language police.

The word "boss" is being outlawed, words are taken out of books and then erased from history, i'm sorry but I won't accept living in a society that wants to dictate the words that come out of my mouth, or anyone else's.

anyone who calls someone else that obviously has their own problems and issues. I have to my knowledge never called another being a retard/ed, but I have used that word to describe situations that perplex me and aggravate me...

Words matter but the freedom to say them matters more.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

SO let me get this straight

YOU BEAT those kid's around the head

Before they fled in fear

What would the LAW say on that

STICKS & STONES
will break you're bones

BUT NAMES
will never hurt you

but child battery/abuse would follow you for ever

bad monkey

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
When we were kids, children in my neighborhood were pretty much restricted from calling other kids retarded. So, we called the Duval's instead. The Duval Home was a place for retards to live. LOL

Thanks for a memory that put a smile on my face.

I've never liked being PC, and I don't plan to start at my age.

I guess you missed the OP's point altogether, it's nothing to do with PC, strewth!

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

Can you at least try and read what I wrote correctly.
I didn't beat any child I told em to bugger off before I give em a clout around the earhole.

I wish I never authored this thread people are missing my point.
So please just let it die I will not be visiting it again..just makes me sad.
edit on 12-5-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

LOL ... It has everything to do with PC. Playing mind police entices a certain segment of any given community to 'act out'. That is exactly the response this thread provoked. If I were 40 years younger (and a better typist) ... I might tell you how I really feel about the whole subject.

Face it: Nobody goes out of their way to 'hang out' with people who are disadvantaged in any way, shape, form, or fashion. Not unless ... there's a reason.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

The reason I go in and see my service users on my days off and when they have a party is they are really decent people once you get to know them and understand how they communicate they are cracking folk.
Just because you don't want to hang about with disadvantaged people (tells me a lot about the type of person you are) doesn't mean others do not.

Sorry I had to say this.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
No need to apologize. As long as you're not faulting me for my honesty, you're welcome to say anything about me you like.

-Cheers

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Also as my final note.

We were talking the other day and all the support staff agreed that we have fallen in love with many of our service users as in family love.
Also people with learning disabilities are just different no worse nor better than you and I. Even though they may not be able to communicate it doesn't mean they don't know what is going on, they have the same feelings like fear, love happiness and deserve a full and rewarding life.
It is their human right to do so and I and many do our best to make sure this happens.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Can you at least try and read what I wrote correctly.

I wish I never authored this thread people are missing my point.
So please just let it die I will not be visiting it again..just makes me sad.

noun
noun: clout; plural noun: clouts

informal
a heavy blow with the hand or a hard object.
"a clout round the ear"
synonyms:k, bang, cuff, box, spanking, spank, tap, clip; More smack, slap, thump, punch, blow, hit, knock

I didn't beat any child I told em to bugger off before I give em a clout around the earhole.

you swore at them [ verbal assault [ then you did smack, slap, thump, punch, blow, hit, knock

you are a evil monkey and should be locked up the RSPCA are on you're case for what you are doing to that cat

edit on 5/13/2014 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Sorry but swearing at some naughty kids is not illegal and again I did not hit any of them...just stop...

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I definitely agree with the OP. Use of the word "retard" as an insult is offensive and demonstrates the lack of regard people have for other human-beings. It's like the word "bitch". It demonstrates our society's deteriorating attitude toward women. Take a stand against the deterioration of empathy and compassion and avoid using these words in a derogatory way. It's good for you.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Sorry but swearing at some naughty kids is not illegal and again I did not hit any of them...just stop...

so you would like 2 change the story now you never [ CLOUTED ] anyone that is a good move as you do not need the law at your door for assault

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
"I told them to # right off before I give em a clout round t' earhole"

@Douglas - OP didn't say "before I GAVE" he said "before I give" - OP implicated to said youths; "Go away before I come over there and give you a clout around the ear"

Not sure of your Geo Douglas but "up north" in't UK this is how dialect has evolved and I see no mention of actual physical contact - just a threat of. And I dare say those words weren't actually used out loud - just the ##!

BoyMonkey - Preston - NHS Mental Health Employee here - glad to have been of translational service...

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I saw a commercial the other day with a bunch of chic’s hanging out in a restroom. The one chic says…”that’s pretty gay looking”. The one chic at the other end of the restroom goes all ballistic pc on the chic, and tells her that that could offend somebody. I just about threw the remote at the TV!

I understand the word “retarded”, but I’m not going to remove it from my vocabulary! There is a time and a place for everything, including that word.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I don't actually have any problem with anyone using the word "retarded", or pretty much any other word that may be regarded as offensive to someone. If you want to say stuff, say it. Others have the right to be offended though and if they decide to act on it, it's all down to you.

With that said, I've used the word "retarded" on many occasions against people and their arguments. I'd never say it to someone who really was disabled though out of respect. It's just a word at the end of the day and there's no point getting angry about it.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I agree, op. I think "Mongoloid" is a much better insult.

But seriously, if you are going to insult someone, use whatever you want. Words are just words, it doesn't mean anything. Besides, there's no freedom of speech, if even ONE word is controlled (and we all know what that word is).

Let words remain free, let people use whatever words they want, when they insult each other. That's freedom. You want freedom, don't you?

Besides, the retarded little mongrels won't understand it anyway, so where's the harm? (:

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join