It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you brave enough to try this?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Well, as the title suggests, are you brave enough? Here...have a look....down.

TILT is housed on the 94th floor of the 360 Chicago skyscraper and, as the names suggests, the enclosed glass and steel platform tilts visitors forward for a unique perspective of the city's The Magnificent Mile.

A unique perspective is certainly one way of putting it. I've developed a bit of vertigo over the years. It's nothing dramatic, but I think tilting out over empty space for a 1,000ft look straight down would be a bit more than I'd like. Who knows though?

The attraction, which costs $5 to tourists and is thought to be the first of its kind, holds up to eight people, with the platform slowly moving outward to an adventurous angle above the Windy City.

Patrick Abisseror, CEO of Montparnasse 56 Group, which owns 360 CHICAGO, said: ‘We had a vision for elevating the experience, and providing memories for guests that will last a lifetime.
Chicago TILT

I have to say, they are right on that. Whatever the experience, good or bad, it would be one to remember for a lifetime. So, if you're in Chicago with nothing better to do for awhile, it seems there is a new attraction to go check out and enjoy!

Of course...there is still one I think takes the cake for tempting the fear of heights in the United States....

(If you can't quite make it out, the center of the walk is clear glass)
Grand Canyon Skywalk

Never a shortage of places and ways to get a thrill. No question on that!

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Sure, I'd do it. But they better put a pee pad under me first....

Des

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I've heard about that, looks pretty fun! I'm going to Chicago for vacation in July, and may just try this. Now my hubby wouldn't get near something like this with a 10 1/2 foot pole.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
No way!
As a vertical transportation expert, I have developed a fear for heights.

Go figure!

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Hell no!

My I ask this?

Why is it one whom risks their life on a "thrill" perfectly acceptable in society, but an individual whom says they thing about killing themselves an instant trip to a mental hospital???

Just some food for though......

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

You wouldn't need much bravery to really try this.

At least.. I wouldn't.

I've been on the craziest rides in America (ok not really)

But the thrill of heights and speed is almost an ecstasy to me.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I worked across the John Hancock building years ago, I was on a scaffold with a safety line, so it wouldn't bother me one bit to try that
during my time working at the building across some window washers on the John Hancock experienced some strong winds and they tied up their scaffold on the side of the building, the scaffold broke lose and plummeted down killing I think 3 people. That just seems super safe to me compared to being outside on a scaffold. want a real thrill and get paid for it? get a job as a window washer, or like me a tuckpointer (back then, :/ I am a truck driver now)

either way that tilting window should provide a great experience for people.

(one thing we used to do on the scaffolds while working construction on the high rises was to let our lanyard grab high on our safety line and send the scaffold down a few feet and push ourselves off away from the building, kind of like a trapeze swing lol totally against OSHA rules and regulations, but it did make for a wicked rush haha)

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

A simple worded reply would not suffice.

Therefore. . . .

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
fck that,malfunction keeps going through my head,i,ll stay safe and not even think about it.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I enjoy heights. I worked for several years as an iron worker. The view is nice and you don't have to deal with being bird-dogged by supervisors.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Uh, no, fear of heights is my great weakness. I freak out over other seeing other people close to heights. My trip to the St. Louis arch consisted of my standing in the middle of the room not looking out.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Looks kinda lame to me but I do stupid stuff all the time. I guess if you're not used to climbing around on wobbly high things it'd be ok.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Brave enough, maybe. Crazy enough? No.

Nor would I try THAT in Toronto, here in Canada..

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
You haven't truely lived until you've almost died... For real.

These things are only a tease. Safely flirting with death isn't quite the same, but I urge everyone who can to try it.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
You haven't truely lived until you've almost died... For real.

These things are only a tease. Safely flirting with death isn't quite the same, but I urge everyone who can to try it.

maybe but lifes short so why end it sooner than u have too,not scared of death cause know its coming but not going to make it come earlier than it has to just for the thrill.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

First I would have to ask what engineering firm designed this? Second, what is their track record for mechanical flaws?

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Kinda got a fear of heights after cutting vent holes on a 3 story apartment complex and sawdust built up and off I go.. simple 4 pitch roof too.

So I have had my fill of height sensations and no would be my answer and it makes me nervous just watching that video of others doing it.

If my wife wanted to do it I'd start a fight lol

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I don't really see this as a matter of being "brave." There is no element of self-sacrifice or helping others in the face of danger here. Our bodies evolved over millions of years and added mechanisms so that we wouldn't do stupid stuff to get ourselves killed. So, for example, we have an aversion to allowing anything near our eyes because being blind is not a survival characteristic. Just because we blink doesn't make us cowards; it means we're smart enough to protect our eyes. Those who did not also did not survive to procreate.

It's the same thing with height. Generally speaking, it's very dangerous. This scenario is, indeed, "safe," but intentionally tricks our bodies into a reaction. From strictly an evolutionary standpoint, you're not "brave" if you allow this to be done to yourself; you're stupid and a candidate for the Darwin Award. Not allowing this to happen increases your chance of survival and proves you're smarter than those "brave" people who allow it to happen.

"He was a really brave guy" is little comfort for someone who falls off a cliff and dies. Yes, this is artificial, but you're still basically just playing with yourself.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Well great. Wrabbit, due to your thread I now have that weird feeling in my legs like I'm going to fall a 1000 feet to my doom. I am SO not qualified for, say, cell phone tower repairs...

It's interesting to me what folks will do for a thrill. Personally, it is less thrill and more...gee, I think I'd like to live, thanks...even when the risk may be relatively low.

Thanks for an entertaining thread - and the knowledge of yet another thing I REALLY don't need on my bucket list.

- AB

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
yes. there is no danger present. its a leaning wall. yahoo so much fun....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join