It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does striving to be a good person lead to higher consciousness?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Vortiki

Higher Consciousness is nothing like what you said. it is not a function of the brain, it is nothing so shallow as to be related at all to thinking.

It is simply the aware connection to all things around you, all the physical and non-physical (energetic) things that surround us in every moment of every day. You do not think about these things, you experience and feel them directly without them being a product of thought.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai
a reply to: ipsedixit

The idea that some belief systems are better than others is somewhat alien to me.

I would be very surprised if that were true, but you know yourself better than I do, obviously.

I really do not see how one can validate such a position, If one does not investigate a system to its natural/fundamental conclusions?

Do you mean that or do you mean become initiated into a system and practice it as a way of life, to that's conclusion?

With enough study one can evaluate systems insofar as they disclose themselves through their symbols and other means. Remember, all of the world's religions are working with the same raw material. An analogy would be political systems or nation states. They are all working with the same material also, but one can evaluate them without having to become a citizen or party member.

Discussing religion is difficult because people can become very defensive about their religion. All people are the way they are for good reasons. I'm not trying to change anyone or to suggest that everyone should become Buddhist. People should do what they want. If someone wants to practice the spirituality of a certain community and it satisfies what they feel are their spiritual needs, then they should do so.

If spiritual traditions go far enough they all converge on the same place anyway, because we are all located in the same universe.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Id say no, you could have Ill intent or malicious desires and raise your consciousness and consciousness level. Good or bad are like negatives and positives, they both exist and etc...

Not gonna write a dissertation here.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: kodasaufa
I'm presupposing a positive orientation and a desire to do good at least as an intention. What goes around tends to come around. We are still in the same universe though, although some important systems believe we go to somewhere that transcends the universe completely. I don't believe that myself, but the big God centered systems believe something like that.

posted on May, 14 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit
I'm presupposing a positive orientation and a desire to do good at least as an intention. What goes around tends to come around. We are still in the same universe though, although some important systems believe we go to somewhere that transcends the universe completely. I don't believe that myself, but the big God centered systems believe something like that.

Well I believe in karma and that you can get around it. Basically karma is what you sent out returns blah blah blah, but if you can cleanse and rid yourself of karma with meditation and light techniques that energy doesn't know where it came from. Return to sender right? Well not always if you know what you're dealing with. Are you invoking or evoking?

If you know what you're doing you can do a whole lot in this universe.

But in all realness there is no Ultimate, just a power struggle or control.

What you may do I see wrong and vice versa. It's purely individual or collectives if you are a sheep.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: sparrowstail

Striving to be a good person is a good start however it is not enough. Knowledge, passion and an open mind are also very important. One individuals definition of what is good and just can vary greatly from an others. Many things are required to develop an enlightened soul...

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Double post.
edit on 15-5-2014 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: kodasaufa

Well I believe in karma and that you can get around it.

I don't believe that one can "get around" karma.

Basically karma is what you sent out returns blah blah blah, but if you can cleanse and rid yourself of karma with meditation and light techniques that energy doesn't know where it came from.

I think one can purify oneself and move along as a purified individual but I think karma will always find one. Some kinds of karma are very heavy as well. Purifying oneself might help one to avoid such karma in a future life but in the present life one would still be stuck with the karma no matter how pure one became. As one becomes more pure, karma comes around quicker, it seems. You hear the phrase "instant karma". Instant karma is hard to duck.

Return to sender right? Well not always if you know what you're dealing with. Are you invoking or evoking?

I think people underestimate what they are dealing with when it comes to karma. There is a tendency to down play the harm one has caused, and its effects, including karmic consequences. The story of the picture of Dorian Grey illustrates that, as does the conduct of US foreign policy. Everything is just fine, if you listen to American spokespersons. Animosity against America will be forgotten if enough roads and schools are built. Karmic purification is not possible, in my opinion. If you have performed bad karma, one day, you will pay for it, I think.

I think people (or nations) who believe that they can bypass karma are kidding themselves.

What you may do I see wrong and vice versa. It's purely individual or collectives if you are a sheep.

I disagree about this too. The Buddha's life illustrates that there is an ultimate and that one achieves that ultimate, freedom from the wheel of rebirth, by means which are dependant upon exhausting one's bad karma and ultimately even one's good karma, but this is not easily done. Thinking that everything boils down to a power struggle between competing interests, if that's what you mean, is not a religious point of view. Hitler believed that sort of thing.

I think moral or ethical relativism is a crock, but it is a very popular point of view. In Buddhism you see it a lot in Vajrayana, where the notion that you can "purify" yourself of karma is also widely, but not universally, believed.

I'm no scholar of Tibet but I think the karma that the Tibetan people have been experiencing for many generations is connected to moral relativism and the erroneous notion that yogic practices can make karma disappear. I think the penny has probably dropped for some Tibetans, but not for all, despite the severity of their current situation.

One does not become popular by expressing such views among the bodhisattvas, I can assure you. I wonder what my "karma" will be for doing so. Whatever it is, sometimes one must bite the bullet and call a spade a spade.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: kodasaufa

Well I believe in karma and that you can get around it.

I don't believe that one can "get around" karma.

Basically karma is what you sent out returns blah blah blah, but if you can cleanse and rid yourself of karma with meditation and light techniques that energy doesn't know where it came from.

I think one can purify oneself and move along as a purified individual but I think karma will always find one. Some kinds of karma are very heavy as well. Purifying oneself might help one to avoid such karma in a future life but in the present life one would still be stuck with the karma no matter how pure one became. As one becomes more pure, karma comes around quicker, it seems. You hear the phrase "instant karma". Instant karma is hard to duck.

Return to sender right? Well not always if you know what you're dealing with. Are you invoking or evoking?

I think people underestimate what they are dealing with when it comes to karma. There is a tendency to down play the harm one has caused, and its effects, including karmic consequences. The story of the picture of Dorian Grey illustrates that, as does the conduct of US foreign policy. Everything is just fine, if you listen to American spokespersons. Animosity against America will be forgotten if enough roads and schools are built. Karmic purification is not possible, in my opinion. If you have performed bad karma, one day, you will pay for it, I think.

I think people (or nations) who believe that they can bypass karma are kidding themselves.

I disagree about this too. The Buddha's life illustrates that there is an ultimate and that one achieves that ultimate, freedom from the wheel of rebirth, by means which are dependant upon exhausting one's bad karma and ultimately even one's good karma, but this is not easily done. Thinking that everything boils down to a power struggle between competing interests, if that's what you mean, is not a religious point of view. Hitler believed that sort of thing.

I think moral or ethical relativism is a crock, but it is a very popular point of view. In Buddhism you see it a lot in Vajrayana, where the notion that you can "purify" yourself of karma is also widely, but not universally, believed.

I'm no scholar of Tibet but I think the karma that the Tibetan people have been experiencing for many generations is connected to moral relativism and the erroneous notion that yogic practices can make karma disappear. I think the penny has probably dropped for some Tibetans, but not for all, despite the severity of their current situation.

One does not become popular by expressing such views among the bodhisattvas, I can assure you. I wonder what my "karma" will be for doing so. Whatever it is, sometimes one must bite the bullet and call a spade a spade.

Okay your belief or feeling is contained within you.

Karma is basically energetic buildup. Your energy soul, container all have your energy residue.

Karma can be avoided and subdued. It's all about controlling energy.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I don't agree. Karma is said to be ineluctable except by the Buddha. I think people who believe that they are purifying themselves of bad karma might be preventing themselves from repeating bad deeds but I don't think they remove karmic entailments from past deeds.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

99% of us are good once you take all the junk out. Including the ones on death row and the "good" ones who cheer after an execution is carried out.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit
Have you ever heard of the, "Story of the Colum People"?

edit on 15-5-2014 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I would think this entirely depends on whether the action is selfish, or selfless. If you are striving to be a better person for yourself, I see no advancement of consciousness.

If you are striving to be a better person for the collective good, then yes I would imagine your consciousness if elevating to oneness.

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

No.

2nd.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

I don't agree. Karma is said to be ineluctable except by the Buddha. I think people who believe that they are purifying themselves of bad karma might be preventing themselves from repeating bad deeds but I don't think they remove karmic entailments from past deeds.

Hey this is what is great about being alive, we don't have to agree.

I wish you were next to me because I could explain it better than I can type (Messed up shoulder and other issues)

But anyways the whole 3 folds law and you got what you deserved sounds defeatist or self inflicted.

Yes I do believe in Karma and past life Karma. But through all the meditations, Buddhist, Hindu, Empowerment etc... that I have practiced for years I have learned if you burn or clean your chakras, aura and other subtle bodies off and program your aura and use thoughtforms, affirmations, chanting you can use it like a shield. Sorta how the way magnetism works, you are using energy which is basically inert until or of it's programmed to expel or keep it away.

Karma is put out by actions, well if one can use other processes to influence or change events in one's own life, than you are using karma or manifestation however you want to call it to said desire or what have you to achieve whatever it may be.

Always be careful for what you wish for. The power of thought and words are an amazing factor to outcomes.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

No.
2nd.

You won't find it on the internet and besides this particular instance you would need to travel to China. The easiest way to here the story is to go to China and visit an ancient structure with Colum's that has been turned into a Museum.

Their you simply ask the Curator.

The story was written by a Prophet many, many thousands of years ago, one that had traveled to China when he was very old. In essence it explains that a prophet is akin to a highly skilled worker (a column person in this case). It offers advise on how to address a prophet in relation to a code of conduct and relates to work of prophets to the work of building a structure.

Implied is that prophets are a part of human development.

Helping others and doing the correct thing is actually very interesting, especially when considering Quantum Entangling.

Any thoughts?

edit on 16-5-2014 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Alas, no.

2nd.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
A reply to: sparrowstail

You talked about "polarity". . .

Do you know about "The Ra material" ?

Blue skies.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldie48

Higher Consciousness is nothing like what you said. it is not a function of the brain, it is nothing so shallow as to be related at all to thinking.

It is simply the aware connection to all things around you, all the physical and non-physical (energetic) things that surround us in every moment of every day. You do not think about these things, you experience and feel them directly without them being a product of thought.

I suppose you believe it to be some god-like abilities that you somehow manage to manifest? To call the act of comprehension something "shallow" merely shows your lack thereof.

A "Higher state of consciousness" isn't some magickal new realm where you feel and see new things that no one else does. It's merely a state of awareness; a Conscious comprehension of yourself, and everything around you.

That's the issue with the entire concept of "enlightenment" and modern society. When the majority of modern society thinks of enlightenment they imagine some godly figure with unearthly power, like starting fires with their minds or something.

In reality, your perceived state of "higher consciousness" is nothing more than those more in tune to their surroundings than your everyday person whom is too busy to stop and look at what's going on around them.

If any form of consciousness is not a function of the brain, then what is it?

Here's the dictionary def:

the state of being conscious; awareness of one's own existence, sensations, thoughts, surroundings, etc.

Awareness of ones self,thoughts, surroundings. Under this logic a "higher consciousness" would be one that is more aware of these things than the average, as I have been saying.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Thank you for your thoughts, I do appreciate them.

My perspective is that the Brain is only a neck-top bio-computer running a program for Life that it is operated by a User. The brain does it's stuff naturally in a very limited approach to it's surroundings... hence why I referred to it as shallow.

"I suppose you believe it to be some god-like abilities that you somehow manage to manifest? To call the act of comprehension something "shallow" merely shows your lack thereof. "

No, I don't think or believe that, in fact I do not believe any thing at all. All beliefs are false by their very nature of being human thought creations.

What I am talking about is all the non-physical stuff around us. You cannot see it normally, you cannot even sense it under normal conditions, due to being heavily indoctrinated from birth to only see and experience what our culture determines is correct. Everyone has the ability, few bother to perfect it in themselves.

Being more open to higher awareness brings the invisible things into perspective. We do not require a neck-top bio-computer to determine what is what, because we sense, feel and see these things without the limited functions of the mind that we can refer to as being shallow operations of the mind.

While those words, Sense, Feel, See, are usually interpreted as being functions of the brain, there are many instances where the brain only records those instigating perceptions rather than creating them within itself, which is the normal function of the mind. You can test this easily by thinking of something horrific to you and then noting the false Feelings you get that were created by that thought. This provides the insight that your thoughts create your Feeling responses in a normally operating neck-top bio-PC.

All other sense,feel and seeing of what exists around us non-physically, is done via direct experience before we begin to have thoughts about them... as an Instigating Force rather than a reactionary process.

Consciousness is not dependent on having a physical body. Dictionaries won't know that yet, being that they are written by humans and based on our tiny and mostly incorrect assumptions and perspectives.

But,I do agree with you that a higher consciousness (awareness) is more aware of those things than the average. No argument there. I was wanting to share the differences in perspective with you.

Thank You

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join