It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of our Sun’s long-lost sister stars has finally been found, and she’s pretty close by

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Astronomers at the University of Texas at Austin have done something rather remarkable: They’ve identified a nearby star that was birthed from the same cluster as our own Sun. If that wasn’t cool enough, the lead author also says that — because the Sun and this sibling star were once relatively close and may have bumped uglies — there is a “small, but not zero” chance that planets orbiting this star could host extraterrestrial life.

This new star, HD 162826, is about 110 light years away in the constellation Hercules. It’s about 15% larger than our Sun, but even so you’ll need some binoculars or a simple telescope to see it. 110 light years, in interstellar terms, is very close

One of our Sun’s long-lost sister stars has finally been found, and she’s pretty close by

So they appear to have found one our Sun's long lost siblings!

The fact that we can analyze the elemental composition of something that's 110 light years distant leaves me in awe. One has to wonder if they will ever find the location of the nebula that appears to have birthed our Sun and her new found sister.

edit on 11-5-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I hope there isn't an emotional reunion planed

Cool find thanks for posting.

edit on 11-5-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Already posted here.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

My attempt included a pretty picture.

Thank you for drawing the fact to my attention, I did use the search function to check for similar threads before hand and turned up nothing. Guess its my bad.

Please redirect comments to www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 11-5-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join