It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Openly Gay Football Player Michael Sam Drafted by Rams

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

"Openly gay football player Michael Sam"

I can see you are indeed in no way homophobic buddy. Just wondering why its not just football player Michael Sam joins the Rams?

It should not matter whether the players are gay, straight, bi-curious or into inflatable sheep, after all they are playing football not sexball.

edit on 13-5-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

For the same reason that it was always noted that Jackie Robinson was a black baseball player. When a barrier is broken, it is good to make it known.

What isnt good, in my opinion, is harping on it like the media has, to the point where, if this guy doesnt make it(which is 50-50, at best), theyve set him up to be the poster child of why gay athletes dont work.

It really is a double edged sword.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: captaintyinknots

"For the same reason that it was always noted that Jackie Robinson was a black baseball player. When a barrier is broken, it is good to make it known."

I notice you did not refer to Jackie Robinson as black baseball player Jackie Robinson. Your right it is indeed a double edged sword. I don't think ethnic origin should be any more relevant than sexuality while pertaining to sport, entertainment or most other walks of life for that matter.

Where you stick your Manhood and what colour you may be is nobody's business but there own!

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

"For the same reason that it was always noted that Jackie Robinson was a black baseball player. When a barrier is broken, it is good to make it known."

I notice you did not refer to Jackie Robinson as black baseball player Jackie Robinson. Your right it is indeed a double edged sword. I don't ethnic origin should be any more relevant than sexuality while pertaining to sport, entertainment or most other walks of life for that matter.

Well, 60 years after from now, we can all hope that gay players dont have to be labelled as such. They can just be players.

At the time, Jackie Robinson was ABSOLUTELY called a "black player" at every turn. It has now become common place. The barrier is gone.

In the end, thats what it all comes down to: the barrier.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I can understand where you are coming from, but there is only a barrier if we perceive one. Being gay is just not that interesting anymore, or even special. Has not been since the 60s some might say 80s.

What about ugly people, will they be the next hurdle society deems acceptable? Of course not, no barriers anymore just obsolete opinions that should be ignored.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

If ugly people are forced tohide their faces or are not accepted in the league then yes, theu should be next.

What you arent getting here is that up until very recently, a gay player couldnt be out in the nfl for fear of retribution.
THATS why its important.

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Quite possibly considering i'm Scottish(U.K), we have a rather different interpretation of what football is.

There have been gay players like Justin Fashanu in our leagues since the end of the 70s but I can see where you are coming from.

We are not exactly that progressive over here ether, getting better through!

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Well, it is a big deal for the NFL who a little while a go were saying the NFL is not ready for an openly Gay players. it also breaks the stereotypes that some may have about Gays and sports

it's the same as any "First Times" they are going to get more attention, and many people will say that it's nothing special and he is just a Football players, which is true he is a Football player but he is the First openly Gay Football player, it has to be recognized as such

posted on May, 13 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Has there been an openly gay player in futball yet?
I am sure there has been gay players, but were they open to the world about it?
One that has come out? Cause it seemed in the early pages of this thread a lot of users were saying that futball could take hint from this event

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Sorry it wasnt directed at you . I was reading earlier posts and when i was ready to post my feeling of that moment. I must have scrolled to the nearest reply box......... In response to your response. " Actually we are human beings first, Americans second" As weird as this may sound. I believe by being americans first it makes us better Human beings....... if you take us out of the picture. There is nothing that stops Tyranny. And even much, much worse! Probably many genocides take WW 2 by a factor of ten. No human rights, nothing but slavery. If we are lucky. Not slaves to one another. But slaves to the countries and rulers that rule over us.there wouldnt be individuals. Only property.

The sad thing about the state of our republic. is that we have nobody to blame but ourselves.this truly isn't even our country. For we are nothing more than Stewarts! holding this country and its stewardship for our children. and our childrens children. reply to: 7918465230

link   
Sorry it wasnt directed at you . I was reading earlier posts and when i was ready to post my feeling of that moment. I must have scrolled to the nearest reply box......... In response to your response. " Actually we are human beings first, Americans second" As weird as this may sound. I believe by being americans first it makes us better Human beings....... if you take us out of the picture. There is nothing that stops Tyranny. And even much, much worse! Probably many genocides take WW 2 by a factor of ten. No human rights, nothing but slavery. If we are lucky. Not slaves to one another. But slaves to the countries and rulers that rule over us.there wouldnt be individuals. Only property.

The sad thing about the state of our republic. is that we have nobody to blame but ourselves.this truly isn't even our country. For we are nothing more than Stewarts! holding this country and its stewardship for our children. and our childrens children. reply to: 7918465230

link   

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! MICHAEL SAM

Thank you Canada.

The Canadian Football League wasn't defensive end Michael Sam's first choice, but it was his best one right now as he tries to establish a professional career.

sports.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

If he truly is a nfl caliber player the he should be able to dominate the CFL. Glad to hear he has a place to go play football though.

Can't fault him for wanting to do what he loves.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Annee

If he truly is a nfl caliber player the he should be able to dominate the CFL. Glad to hear he has a place to go play football though.

Can't fault him for wanting to do what he loves.

Totally different game. Some can't adjust to it. Vince Ferragamo couldn't:

Ferragamo played for the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League for just one season in 1981. He was signed to a large contract by both CFL and NFL standards at the time ($600,000, compared to $250,000 the Rams offered him, and the $47,500 they had paid him for 1980.) However, Ferragamo had a difficult time adjusting to the style of Canadian football. Montreal went on to win only 3 games against 13 losses. He was demoted to backup to Gerry Dattilio in the latter half of the season and then third string quarterback for the final 3 games after Ken Johnson arrived in a trade. Ferragamo's last game in the CFL was a loss to the Ottawa Rough Riders in the Eastern semi-final which he watched from the pressbox. His stats during his one season in Montreal were 175 of 342 passes completed (51.2%) for 2175 yards, with 7 TD passes and 25 interceptions.

en.wikipedia.org...

He was in the SB 2 seasons before.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Oh is it really?

I will admit I am ignorant of it as I don't watch it but thought they modeled it after the nfl.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Michael says he's a Footballer and just wants to play.

I give him credit for standing up for himself and never giving up.

I hope the "Heart of a Player" wins out and he proves himself to others.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

The balls and field are bigger. End zones are HUGE! Receivers can run towards the line as long as they don't cross before the snap. Only 3 downs. A touchback is a single point. That's just a few differences.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Yup, Canadian football is a much tougher game to play. Trying to get to the end zone on a larger field in only 3 downs makes the game way more challenging.

Many American football players have come up here to play for a few years to challenge and improve their skills. When they go back to playing in the NFL, they pretty much run circles around the other players.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join