It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Openly Gay Football Player Michael Sam Drafted by Rams

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I'd be more impressed if he was 5'7" and was a place kicker. Who cares if he is gay? Not too long ago we were making a big deal about the first black qb? Who cares if he is black?

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Wow this guy is a real hero..... NOT. He is a football player just like any other, no need to put him on a level above that because of his sexual preferences. I guess whenever someone announces they're openly gay we should just adorn them and shower them with medals and praise for doing absolutely nothing but being themselves.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: miss_sky
Wow this guy is a real hero..... NOT. He is a football player just like any other, no need to put him on a level above that because of his sexual preferences. I guess whenever someone announces they're openly gay we should just adorn them and shower them with medals and praise for doing absolutely nothing but being themselves.

Bet you hate racists though?

Do you get it?

Time to quit pointing fingers and just try to get along with each other don't ya think????

But hey, if finger pointing and labels make you feel safer then I guess if the majority feels like you do, people like me can just watch the country go down the toilet?

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: miss_sky

I think he deserves a pat on the back for his bravery in coming out in such a macho dominated sport.
The first to do so and hopefully not the last.
The more people who are honest about who they are the better and hopefully he can inspire a couple of young gay folk to not hide and be who they really are.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: 7918465230

Yes, really. And I'm sure you don't, just like I don't find every woman I see attractive. Here's the thing, these are toned professional athletes. They get played millions of dollars to play a game, so not only are they very good at what they do, they're also most likely in incredible shape. Well, at least quite a few of them are. Like I said before, it would be the equivalent to me getting in a shower with a bunch of supermodels. I'm most likely going to find some, if not all of them attractive. And if all those supermodels were lesbians, then it might get a little weird as I crack a boner. Actually, it might get weird even if they were straight, lol.

Nahh, I know it might seem that way in your imagination, but here is the truth.

Firstly the team will probably tease him for being gay, then they will get over it. Some will persist and make silly sexual jokes. In reality though this is not really a fantasy situation for anyone.

Heck I've been in similar ones myself when I was younger. Its always a bit awkward at first but soon the rest of the guys get over it and once they let go of their fear they end up acting gayer than you do (as in kamping it up, NOT sexual activity) when behind closed doors.

All the straight boys I've ever hung with in these situations end up loving it more than I do because they get over their homophobia and learn that being in touch with their feminine side does not equate to weakness.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Why is it important? I'm saying who cares. If he were to announce it or not, would that change his performance? I'm sure there are more than a couple gay professional athletes, that's fine, but it takes a back seat to their actual playing abilities.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: miss_sky

Maybe the thousands of young gay men who have no sporting gay role model in their lives until now care.
Or the gay boys who will not do sports because of the ribbing they may get...it is just about acceptance.
You may not care bully for you but many people will be inspired by his bravery if you can't see that or don't want it to happen just move on.
edit on 10-5-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: miss_sky
a reply to: boymonkey74

Why is it important? I'm saying who cares. If he were to announce it or not, would that change his performance? I'm sure there are more than a couple gay professional athletes, that's fine, but it takes a back seat to their actual playing abilities.

It shouldn't be important!!!! Just as the color of a persons skin shouldn't be important!!!!

But yet we are bombarded with this nonsense every day due to political persuasion!

Who cares right? Well I think that is a question that BOTH political parties need to be asked don't you think? One screams racist and one scream Homo! Kinda ironic don't your think?
edit on 10-5-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

And in time it will be like that...but acceptance comes first and his dude doing this is a step towards acceptance.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I agree.. I think it's more of a political talking point than anything else. Lately it seems race and someone sex life is the most important issue we have in this country right now. If we concentrated on the real issues, these types of things would be no big deal to anyone. I can't tell whether they're trying to force acceptance or if they're trying to further alienate people anymore. Race/Sex seems to be the ultimate distraction from what's really going on.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This is my perspective on it:

There are some places where you just don't want sex to be an issue. Team sports would be one of them. If he keeps his romances off the field and doesn't start looking for love in the locker room, starting "office romances," then it will stay professional, but if he doesn't, he could become locker room poison, just like I see Johnny Manziel being if for a different reason.

You need every player to be operating at their highest possible physical capacity and with full trust in each other in football because it's a very coordinated sport. They players have to trust each other to cover their own jobs on the field, and if they're causing trouble with each other off the field, that will start to break down their teamwork on it.

Johnny Manziel has the potential to cause problems in the locker room because of his attitude and off-field antics. He doesn't strike me as a team guy, and I'm just waiting for him to create chaos sooner or later that his ability can't pull him out of.

If Sam is a team-oriented guy, he understands this and he'll keep his personal life out of the team except for passing mentions like the other guys might make about their personal lives. He won't start trying to make the team his personal life.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Do you make a pass at work towards every attractive girl? no? then why should he do the same at work?.
edit on 10-5-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Did you know that his college team knew? And set a school record for wins that season? Takes a sound locker room to do that. In the SEC no less.
He knows how to be gay and part of a team. He isn't the first guy to do it, just to first one to tell everyone

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I live in KC. Do you think I could avoid knowing?

PS - You have already made this point in the thread, and I chose to express my opinion on it despite having read your opinion. It applies not just to Sam but to any gay player.

Office romance is a bit different too than romance on a sports team. You can put up with a certain amount of bad feeling in an office, but it kills teamwork.
edit on 10-5-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Againwhy do you assume he is going to be unprofessional and jump on all the other players? He is a professional sportsman whom happens to be gay.
I really don't think you know any gay people at all.
Again tell me do you ask everyone out at your place of work?

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Condragulations!!

i'm excited and happy! Love is Love!!

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Againwhy do you assume he is going to be unprofessional and jump on all the other players? He is a professional sportsman whom happens to be gay.
I really don't think you know any gay people at all.
Again tell me do you ask everyone out at your place of work?

I didn't. Why do you assume I did?

I said the only would be if he did bring his romance into the locker room. I'm not assuming he will. He didn't at Mizzou.

Seems to me you're the one making assumptions here.

Look, in my time in college, I was on the track team which is about as close to co-ed as you get in sports. We didn't share locker rooms, but we did share travel and stay at the same places and practice together and everything else. I got to see first hand what happens when teammates date and break-up. It's not pretty. Thankfully, track is mostly individual and the team events are segregated male and female so that you don't have to worry about relay pass and drops because two of your legs are suffering a bad break-up ... unless you have a bad brea-up because they're either gay or lesbian, but that's not very likely.
edit on 10-5-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Doesn't mean you read what I posted earlier, more times then not people don't read the previous post.
And how can you come in and say that he might poison a team when you just witnessed mizzu do something that hasn't been done in SEC for a while and Sam was a part of that. Co-defense player of the year...
It takes a team to win the most in school history... a couple years into a strong, if not the strongest, conference in college football.

Bad teammates kill teams, not gay ones
This guy is not a bad teammate.

edit on thSat, 10 May 2014 21:13:23 -0500America/Chicago520142380 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to: ketsuko

You were the one who suggested he may cauae team strife by him having romances with fellow players first not me.
I am asking you why you think he willndo this?
Why even think it?

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
This is a great moment.

Other sports, i.e Football (soccer to you Americans) could definately take a leaf out of this book.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join