Openly Gay Football Player Michael Sam Drafted by Rams

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Openly gay football player Michael Sam has been drafted by the St. Louis Rams in the 7th round of the NFL draft. Congratulations, Michael for breaking a major barrier in American sports.

Michael Sam, poised to become the NFL's first openly gay player, was selected in the seventh round of the draft by the St. Louis Rams on Saturday.

Sam, who announced in February that he is gay, saw his draft stock drop following a disappointing showing at the scouting combine.

As a senior at Missouri, Sam registered 11.5 sacks and 19 tackles for losses en route to being named a first-team All-American and the SEC Defensive Player of the Year.

After playing defensive end in college, the 6-foot-2, 256-pound Sam is expected to transition to outside linebacker in the NFL.

Earlier this week, Sam signed his first endorsement deal, partnering with Visa. Although his marketability is likely to be tied heavily to making a team and playing well, he has received dozens of endorsement deal offers, which is unprecedented for a late-round pick.

Michael Sam drafted by Rams

edit on 2014/5/10 by Metallicus because: ETA Source

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Took awhile didn't it?

I am happy for him!

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Wonder how awkward the showers will be after a game/practice, lol.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
So he came out this year knowing he didn't do well at the combine? I'm not bashing but I think he played "The Card." I could honestly care less if any athlete is gay as long as they can contribute to their team and help them win. I wish him the best, and hope he has a great career in the NFL.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: 7918465230

Why does it matter?

Just because someone is gay doesn't mean they are going to pounce upon someone whom is straight!

Not attacking you or your comment, because I am sure the homophobes will make their issues about their insecure sexuality known!

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Took awhile didn't it?

I am happy for him!

The man broke down in tears as he was being told he was picked by the Rams. It was a very touching moment. I was also very happy for him!

edit on 2014/5/10 by Metallicus because: Clarity / Sp

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Why does it matter?

If I walked in to the women's locker room and started showering with a bunch of really hot chicks, I think someone would have an issue with that. That's all. And, I'm sure he'll probably get his own shower, or something, but come on, these are all really super fit individuals taking a shower together, and it's fine because they're all straight, but once you add a gay guy I'm telling you it'll get awkward. Just like I'd be attracted to a bunch of showering supermodels, this guy is most likely going to be attracted to one of these guys.

No wonder he cried when he got selected, lol. I would cry too if I got selected to shower with a bunch of extremely attractive women every day of the week, LOL.

Also:

he was picked by the Rams

Now, you can't tell me that's not at least a little funny/ironic. Come on now.
edit on 10-5-2014 by 7918465230 because: (no reason given)
edit on 10-5-2014 by 7918465230 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Why does it matter?

Just because someone is gay doesn't mean they are going to pounce upon someone whom is straight!

Not attacking you or your comment, because I am sure the homophobes will make their issues about their insecure sexuality known!

If I was gay I imagine that Id be pretty stoked to take showers with jacked athletes...

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: 7918465230

His entire college team knew that he was gay and that team set a school record for wins that season.
It doesn't matter, nice try.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Good for him. I can't say that I gave a rat's hairy bottom line that the guy was gay, or not, the real question is: Can he play ball?

If we keep hearing about how he's in the NFL, and it's great because he's gay, then the odds are that he isn't producing on the field, and will be out of the league in a couple of years, just like any other player that doesn't produce.

If he plays well, then the gay thing should take a pronounced backseat to his performance, after all, that is what matters (or should matter) in the NFL.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Really? Like really really?

I'm sure he wouldn't have made it this far by perving on fellow team mates.

*News Flash to straight men*

I'm sorry to bruise your macho egos, but by being gay it does not automatically mean that every male we see we find attractive.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

And if you watched when he got picked, it panned to him at home and what I assume is his boyfriend/partner was there with him.
If that is his type then the guys in the NFL locker room have no worries.
He is far from what a NFL player would look like.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos
Good for him. I can't say that I gave a rat's hairy bottom line that the guy was gay, or not, the real question is: Can he play ball?

If we keep hearing about how he's in the NFL, and it's great because he's gay, then the odds are that he isn't producing on the field, and will be out of the league in a couple of years, just like any other player that doesn't produce.

If he plays well, then the gay thing should take a pronounced backseat to his performance, after all, that is what matters (or should matter) in the NFL.

Excellent commentary.

However, I think it really does matter that he was openly gay and drafted to a sport like NFL Football. If this had been a decade ago he probably wouldn't have gotten drafted at all. It is a big day for sports in general because he is really the first openly gay athlete drafted. Others in the NBA etc only came out after they established themselves.

I agree that he will be irrelevant if he doesn't produce, but I think he will. He has an excellent motor and lots of heart. He may not end up being a flashy, big time talent, but I think that is sort of the point. He will do his job and be a normal, average NFL player and THAT is really the biggest thing here IMHO.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Hope this rubs off in the UK and we get a premiership footie (real football btw not one played with hands most of the time) player come out.
Good on him.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Why does it matter?

If I walked in to the women's locker room and started showering with a bunch of really hot chicks, I think someone would have an issue with that. That's all. And, I'm sure he'll probably get his own shower, or something, but come on, these are all really super fit individuals taking a shower together, and it's fine because they're all straight, but once you add a gay guy I'm telling you it'll get awkward. Just like I'd be attracted to a bunch of showering supermodels, this guy is most likely going to be attracted to one of these guys.

No wonder he cried when he got selected, lol. I would cry too if I got selected to shower with a bunch of extremely attractive women every day of the week, LOL.

Also:

k, I get your point. It wouldn't serve me well, to be thrown into a shower with a bunch of naked females........

But I guess I just fall into the category that believes that when it comes to two "consenting" adults doing whatever it is they do that makes them feel good, whether they have a dangle or an angle doesn't concern me or anyone else!

You did get me there though and made me think pretty hard!

Bottom line is this. It is about his ability to play football (work) not his sexuality.....

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: markosity1973

And if you watched when he got picked, it panned to him at home and what I assume is his boyfriend/partner was there with him.
If that is his type then the guys in the NFL locker room have no worries.
He is far from what a NFL player would look like.

As much as I support Michael, I could still do without seeing two men kissing. I probably will never be comfortable with seeing that on TV or in public.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

Really? Like really really?

I'm sure he wouldn't have made it this far by perving on fellow team mates.

*News Flash to straight men*

I'm sorry to bruise your macho egos, but by being gay it does not automatically mean that every male we see we find attractive.

Yes, really. And I'm sure you don't, just like I don't find every woman I see attractive. Here's the thing, these are toned professional athletes. They get played millions of dollars to play a game, so not only are they very good at what they do, they're also most likely in incredible shape. Well, at least quite a few of them are. Like I said before, it would be the equivalent to me getting in a shower with a bunch of supermodels. I'm most likely going to find some, if not all of them attractive. And if all those supermodels were lesbians, then it might get a little weird as I crack a boner. Actually, it might get weird even if they were straight, lol.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Why does it matter?

Also:

k, I get your point. It wouldn't serve me well, to be thrown into a shower with a bunch of naked females........

But I guess I just fall into the category that believes that when it comes to two "consenting" adults doing whatever it is they do that makes them feel good, whether they have a dangle or an angle doesn't concern me or anyone else!

You did get me there though and made me think pretty hard!

Bottom line is this. It is about his ability to play football (work) not his sexuality.....

I never said anything that was wrong with him being on the team, or his ability to play the game, I'm just sayin' the showers might be a little weird, that's all.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I agree, it blindsided me too.
The announcers were taken back by it as well.
The PDA is still something that gets me too, but I guess if we applaud him coming out then we have to get used to that as well.
We allow straight couples, to an extent, to display plenty PDA.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

That news item with the two gay Marines kissing at their wedding still sends shivers down me,"the few,the proud the er...queer"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join