It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Griffin the Parrot Is An "Impressive Bird", Scientists Say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Alex was the most intelligent parrot until 2007. He had the intelligence of a 5-year old human. Alex died in 2007, though, with rather touching last words.

After Alex death, a new parrot has started training to be the next most intelligent parrot on Earth. His name is Griffin.

Even though his training is not over yet, scientists say that his progress is very promising.

In the experiment, Griffin was partnered with a human. A subordinate bird in the lab was also tested separately. They were each able to take turns and choose one of four cups that held a different consequence. The purple cup meant that nobody received a treat. The orange cup only gives the partner a treat, while the pink cup only gives the selector a treat. The green cup was the “sharing” cup, as both partners received a treat when that cup was selected.

In a previous study, human partners played different roles by favoring a certain color cup, while one partner would copy whatever the bird chose. The birds tended to act similarly to those with an agenda, by giving to the generous partner and being stingy with the selfish partner, but did not act as consistently with the copier. Researchers theorized that the birds weren’t able to pick up on the mirroring from the human, because it sharply contrasted with humans who exhibited set behavior. Most of the time, Griffin chose the green sharing cup when dealing with the copycat, while the subordinate bird did not change behavior. While it did suggest an understanding of reciprocity with Griffin, the researchers suggested that the partners with certain motivations may have been skewing the results, and the latest study only uses a copycat partner.

Griffin, once again, showed strong signs that he understood the mutual benefit from sharing.

More at: www.iflscience.com...

edit on 10-5-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

What were Alex's touching last words?

Interesting story. Thx.

+3 more 
posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

He told his trainer, "You be good, see you tomorrow. I love you."

link

edit on 10-5-2014 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

link

Yeah, that's not sad at all.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I would love to see scientists work with a raven! I think they may be the worlds smartest bird.
After years of raising parrots, I was amazed at their intelligence and their unique personalities! I sometimes found myself wondering if they have telepathic abilities.......

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

omg, that put tears in my eyes

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: berkeleygal

Just goes to show you how humans are selfish and ignore things that should be blatantly obvious. Things like sharing, or caring, of which we can be oblivious.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Wow,made me choke up.You know that bird had a great life though!

Thanks for sharing this story.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Scientific insecurity is a good phrase in circumstances when other species researchers come up against formal science objectives as if they apply to all living creatures..the old monkey see monkey do thing really/aka copying/mimicry. The thing is science doesn't know what we are and we do the same things. Ant eating monkeys use sticks for extraction, so do Gorillas, they also use sticks for other uses, that's a kind of differentiation, or applied technology for use elsewhere and not just mimicry.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Thanks. Beautiful work. Wonderful story.

Impressive accomplishments for bird and for the trainer.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
"see you tomorrow"

The bird knew that it would still exist in some form after "death". Some might say that this was the best it could do with its limited vocabulary, but I think there is something more to this. Very interesting choice of words.This is the best thing I've read in a while. When we finally realize what animals are capable of, I think we will start to look at this world in a much different perspective. Our number one job should be as custodians of this planet and all the life forms we hold dominion over. Not much can compare to the feeling when an animal trusts you and wants to be near you. It's a very special feeling.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
My theory is that individuality is the indication of soul. There is no reason why individuals should behave differently based on biology alone or even on our experiences and biology. There are, I think, just some things that can't quite be explained by all that. That's why I think there is a soul of some sorts at home. And if it has a personality ... a soul ... then there must be something for it, a reward or sorts, even if it isn't what any of us might recognize.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

This is pretty incredible in its own regard, it's of a crow putting together a pretty difficult 8 part puzzle in only a few moments, to the poster about ravens I think if you haven't seen this it's a similar lead.

Intelligence is measured through our eyes by means of our own intelligence. But even we can acknowledge that scientific smarts versus artistic capability are both amazing and different. We have much left to learn!

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

In Canon city near the 4th St bridge there was an auto repair place that had a Raven in a cage and he was MEAN.He had been injured during a storm so they kept him there.Keeping any migratory birds is illegal now,but you can buy african ravens that are as big.

posted on May, 11 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

link

OH boy if a person didnt shed a tear at least over that you are probably not a human being and should go get checked out..very touching

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: andboycott
www.youtube.com...

This is pretty incredible in its own regard, it's of a crow putting together a pretty difficult 8 part puzzle

Even if the crow was trained before hand, that's still pretty impressive indeed.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: andr3w68

The greatest inspiration for mankind is humility.

top topics

join