It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court: Atheists Failed to Show Words 'Under God' Harmed Their Children

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The high court in Massachusetts has ruled against the parents who claimed their children's rights were violated by saying "Under God" when reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.

The court ruled the parents failed to show how their kids were 'harmed'.

Apparently the Pledge of Allegiance is voluntarily recited and there wasn't any bullying or punishment involved.

An atheist Massachusetts couple failed to prove their children had been harmed by the words "Under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, the state's highest court ruled Friday.

The couple, identified only as "John and Jane Doe," argued their children's rights were violated by the voluntary recitation of the pledge -- including "Under God" -- in the public schools in the Acton-Boxborough district. But the Supreme Judicial Court ruled unanimously they failed to make their case, saying they had not proved the children had been subjected to bullying, ostracism or any other punishment or mistreatment for refusing to say the pledge or for keeping quiet while everyone else was saying "Under God."

The couple sued in state court under the Massachusetts Declaration of Rights because the U.S. Supreme Court has already ruled on the issue.

Court Rules Massachusetts Atheists Failed to Show Words 'Under God' Harmed Their Children

+1 more 
posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

What part of "don't say the words if you don't like them" is so hard to understand? If you're lactose intolerant, that doesn't give you the right nor the necessity to ban milk in school. Just don't take one when it's your turn to fill your tray.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Why can't the pledge be returned back to how it was originally written?

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

It's the "be like me, see like me" mentality from PC politically motivated groups, that's screwing up our schools so much.

You are right. It's voluntary. If the parents have so little faith, in their lack of faith, they feel their children will be tainted in some way, by having the word God come out of their little ones' mouths.

Then, take your kids out of school, and home school them, to make sure they are never ever ever ever exposed to something you find offensive.

Yep, that's the way to raise healthy well adjusted kids. Isolate them from reality...(insert sarcastic facepalm here)

Des
edit on 10-5-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

This seems like the easiest solution.
If it is so easy for those to just not say it, why can't some just add it?

I know sometimes I am the only one that sings cha cha cha in the happy b day song, doesn't bother me

Can't those that need the nation to be "under god" just say it, even tho it is not part of the anthem like buster here shows?

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I don't get what anybody would get upset about mentioning God in the pledge since the whole thing is pretty much a fairy tale.

With liberty and justice for all?

Yeah...right.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
eh back in the day as a kid/teen i never believed in god but no part of the pledge ever bothered me, i just mumbled it, pretended to care and thought it was a waste of my time. i personally think the whole thing should be removed entirely so as to solve this issue and keep focus on scholastic activities without distraction.

god or no god a school shouldn't have to deal with beliefs, it's a place to gather knowledge not a place of worship and if anything any pledge to a nation is merely idolatrous worship and any christian, jew or muslim reciting it is dooming themselves to hell foolishly.
edit on 10-5-2014 by namehere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This is ridiculous, the fact that the parents took such offense to saying "under God", or was it an attempt to gain some form of compensation from the state government?

People need to grow thicker skin and stop taking such offense to minor things, have these people not got better things to do in their lives?

I really do pity them, getting so riled up about the use of christian phrases is silly.

A lot of people are far to offended by words these days, GROW UP.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I don't like olives. I can't stand olives. (they ruin perfectly good martini's.)

But I will not stop others from enjoying them.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Idiots.

My god if one thing Americans are good for it's frivolous law suits.

Just change it back to how it was before America got taken over by the Church of England.

~Tenth

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
So what damages does God recieve in this ruling?

the Souls of their children?

just curious.
It's the Law.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This is an interesting case. My substitute teacher ordered a student to slap me when I sat down during the pledge of allegiance. What am I pledging an allegiance to? A tyranny. So it wasn't voluntary for me, and I don't think most students realize it is voluntary. I even got whacked with corporal punishment for exercising my First Amendment rights...

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Wasent the word god added a long time after the pledge was first introduced, so why the need to add god to it it?

Is it more american?

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: iosolomon

no an idea,,
alligence too the IDEA of
Truth & Liberty
and the Idea of Justice for ALL under God.

not the reality that you see, but the the dream of what may be one day real,,,
for all.

thats why u needed a slap,, for being selfish, and narrow.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

it was added in the 50's America's MOST prosperous time in it's History.

kind of like saying ,,thanks. God.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
So god was added in the 1950s, why was it added, maybe to cater to the majority of americans even if there founding fathers did not want any religion in any part of government.

But yea damn those atheist lol

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

Your Canadian government is no better than my American government.

When my government stops dropping bombs on innocent women and children, then I'll be more than proud to recite the pledge of allegiance. But even if this country was something to be proud of (which, like canada, it is not), an American still has the Constitutional right to sit down during the pledge of allegiance.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

"why was it added," too say thank you, for the abundence.

or is saying thank you , no longer required, in day to day society?

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: iosolomon

i quote "When my government stops dropping bombs on innocent women and children"

if you really believe that then i do feel sorry that you have become so cynical.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

Are you saying the US has not dropped bombs on innocent women and children?
What do you think happens in war?
That is not being cynical, that is being realistic.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join