It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learning the Guitar

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Hi guys, recently started playing the guitar and just wanted to say how much ive enjoyed it. I found a brilliant resource to help my education so really hope it can help someone out. Please share and embark on a brilliant learning experience

1url.com...

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I especially like the part where its basically an advertisement you are linking to overall

Anyhow, I found this guys vids were good for total beginners (just the first linked).
but youtube is filled with every level you can imagine.

-waiting for the info to simply download into my thinkie brain parts

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: gilbis

When I first began learning to play, there was no internet, and living several miles from town, there were few resources. Now, 49 years later, I still get a lot of benefit from youtube tutorials, and guitar tabs online.

When I was in my 30's I took two years of classical guitar instruction from a guy who had tutored under Christopher Parkening. That made all the difference for me, but what has been truly remarkable is that instruction improved not only my classical playing, but my hard rock/punk ambitions also.

If I may offer some unsolicited advice -- (1) try to not be confined to a particular style; play it all and play it LOUD! (2) play often, and find your own way to your own works; build up the callus on your fingertips to where you can play anytime for as long as you like.

The guitar has carried me through all manner of woes. I almost believe that I might have perished without its comfort.

When I was in high school, a shop accident with a jointer removed the tips of three of my right-hand fingers. It made me a better guitar player, because I worked harder to get back to where I was. Which brings me to (3) -- take care of your hands. I work in construction and I don't like wearing gloves, but will do so when it is prudent to do so. We express much of our lives through our hands -- treat them well.

Welcome to the wonderful world of musical expression -- it will change things for you and the changes will only be positive ones.

cheers!

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I started playing about a year ago. Nothing serious just in my spare time. After spending countless hours of searching and trying different youtube lessons/tearchers I would have to say that there are two that I would strongly recommend.www.youtube.com... to: gilbisthe second one the teacher doesnt speak in any of his videos but for the purpose of learning guitar through learning how to play songs you choose and like to play (so you dont get bored). This cat nailed it on the head...www.youtube.com... he has another page called malero. they are both fantastic! but what do I know.

edit on 9-5-2014 by traintrain because: forgot to put in a link

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Here's some great tools that I wish I had when I was young:
- Joe Satriani Guitar Secrets
- Apple and Android app Chord!
> Learn the modes, memorize the modes, master the modes! If you know the modes, you'll know how to utilize the scales.
> Memorize every note on the fretboard. Build the image in your mind. (Takes time, it'll pay off though!)
> "Kite Method"

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: gilbis
Hi guys, recently started playing the guitar and just wanted to say how much ive enjoyed it. I found a brilliant resource to help my education so really hope it can help someone out. Please share and embark on a brilliant learning experience

1url.com...
Know your chords. and practice your scales. Learn to tune your guitar by ear. Electronic tuners are nice to have, but a true guitarist can tune without mechanical assistance. Your first guitar doesn't have to be the most expensive. All guitarist played on junk, hand-me-downs or used guitars. Don't listen to the people that say you suck. Play from the heart. Develop your own style and sound. Don't be afraid to mess up on a song, even the pros mess up once and a while. You learn from your mistakes. And finally, have some fun. it's a great way to meet the chicks. Rock On!

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
There's a guitar lesson giver named Pebber Brown. He has a website and some YouTube videos. He presents some really great information about playing.

www.youtube.com...

I love his attitude on picking the low E string for one hour to strengthen the picking arm: "If you can't do this for an hour, you suck!"

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I have been playing off and on for about 16 years. I play more finger style acoustic than electric these days.

Here is an awesome video that will teach you some of the basics and will have you shredding in no time!
Bon appetite!

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Travis Picking with Thom Bresh

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Personally, after spending many years attempting to teach myself guitar using internet vids...I basically failed. Then I heard about Rocksmith 2014 and the very night I got it, I was playing lead riffs to Boston songs. The 2014 variant is considered to be the best of the series and was recommended by a local guitar shop owner/luthier who plays VERY well. He says that he finds it challenging as well.
the ads for the game say that playing one hour per day will allow you to learn guitar in 60 days. I believe it. The game teaches chords, accents/attacks, effects such as pinch harmonics, etc all while teaching you some of the coolest music around. Some 50 songs are included on the disc but other packs are offered for download.
It is cheaper than actual lessons at around $80 and will work with you at your own pace and is a lot easier than scouring the web for the next great beginners videos.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
The thing Id like to say is, not you, but people from time to time say "I want to learn to play the guitar" or "I just never learned to play" and that's ok. My point is, depending how versatile you want to be, learning that instrument can be a lifelong learning that never stops. I want to be very versatile. Its tough remembering the chords, modes, scales and arpeggios, that's a bunch of stuff. Then they need to sound good when played which is the point of playing. What the world does not need is another person that can play 42 songs with the same 4 or 5 or 3 much less chords unless that's the goal, but its a low goal to set and that's ok if that's what you want. There are people that cant play and never will be able to, not at all. It may be a lack of rhythm thing or other stuff. I find learning more, a mind opening experience. When I was young , I thought I was the shiz, listening back, I was boring and lame lol. Things change and learning and growth can be very cool. Listening to good guitarists is probably a good idea as well. Yes, the youtube vids are way helpful, like the other guy said earlier, we didn't have youtube when we started if we needed help with a song, I had to order a book. Maybe that's why young kids are ripping all over the internet these days. Good luck.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Listen to:
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
Al Dimeola
John McLaughlin
Paco Delucia
Don Ross
Andy McKee
David Wayne
Callum Graham
And many, many others. Find them on YouTube. You will be amazed at what can be done with a guitar. These are artists of the FIRST grade. Perfect.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: gilbis
All excellent info so far.
Luciano Renan has a channel on YT for pure enjoyment, not teaching purpose but his skill is "recording studio artist" level...perfect tone, timing and arrangement of composition.
You will know what is possible watching him.

He is mainly classical, but does a few electric.

Sorry for no in-bed...I am mobile today.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I have played since I was about 15, and I will give you a bit of advice that is probably obvious, lol. The first thing I did was learn the major and minor chords, then moved on to playing barre chords, and once you can do that efficiently you can play the vast majority of songs. But if you want to progress beyond that, I would suggest you start as soon as you have become proficient in the basics. I waited around for a few years before actually learning any scales or music theory in general, and by that time it seemed like it was harder to pick up new things. It is hard to explain what I mean, but it just seemed like I could have learned that stuff a lot faster had I put the effort into it initially.

That very well could have just been something personal, and maybe others wouldn't have the problems I had in that particular area. I didn't use the internet to learn to play, and most of your older generation guys, the guys who are really good guitar players, all trained by ear...I would highly suggest it, and that is the main advice I wanted to give you.

I think it would make a world of difference for some because if you just go look up something you are not getting the same benefit as figuring it out yourself. That is just how I feel about it anyway. But even now I am still learning new things, as well as relearning all the stuff I've forgotten, lol. And for anyone who wants to learn to play guitar quickly, just switch to the bass. Of course it takes time to get proficient at that, and it takes more to be a solid bass player in some respects than it does to be a solid guitar player, considering the bass player, like the drummer, is the backbone of a band. As a guitar player, I have never had to set or keep time for everyone else, which is good, considering I probably couldn't do it. I can play drums fairly well, except for the fact that I cannot keep time. But I am a fairly good guitar player. Does that make any sense? I can't dance either, lol.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
As 4003fireglo suggested, check out Pebber Brown. I've been playing for years, and have found tons of helpful info from a variety of media, but Pebber's stuff took me to the next level.
It's invaluable. It's gold.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

waiting for the info to simply download into my thinkie brain parts

Won't help your fingers.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: lotusfoot

What the world does not need is another person that can play 42 songs with the same 4 or 5 or 3 much less chords

No?

I think the world needs lots and lots of those people. We call them songwriters.

What the world certainly does not need is another person that knows all the scales, all the chords, can play them all at breakneck speed with total precision and absolutely no feeling or sense of what is fitting for the music.

One Keith Richards trumps all the DiMeolas, Malmsteens, Vais, Satrianis and Upmyownassmes in the world, makes hundreds of millions of people happy and laughs all the way to the bank doing it, too.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Some helpful stuff on this thread

I've been trying to teach myself for about two months now

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

I've been trying for 38 years, and have made a little progress. If you have any specific queries, PM me and I'll help if I can. Good luck with your efforts.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Sorry, doubleneck, er, double post.

edit on 12/5/14 by Astyanax because: 18 strings

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join