It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sillhouette Man Wonders About Education

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Obviously, it's different when you have a population of 300 million +, but the points they make are entirely valid.

Priorities people.

FTR, I don't like OWS or the tea party, this thread is by no way trying to endorse either or, just presenting some thought provoking information.

~Tenth

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I love that "WTF are you thinking Americans?" (or Americant's)
I always say I don't care what people think because they don't think often enough to make it a valid enough reason to worry about what they care about. (I don't do politically correct)

The fact that the land of the free has more people in prison than any other country on the planet....I wonder WTF The Americans are thinking as well?
Its proves how dumbed down they are by thinking they are free and their "leaders" actually have their interests at heart.
America is a business that exploits people...nothing more. (even the prisons are a private entity in some cases)

Ghettos are underfunded and under educated for a reason...they become the new prisoners that keeps that "business" running.
Its all about money.

We in Canada can break a bone and get healthcare for free...they have insurance.
Go figure.

edit on 9-5-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I am by no stretch of anyone's imagination a democrat or left-leaning with respect to current political configurations, but I have often wondered this myself. US higher education is most definitely a caste system that benefits the rich and actively denies underprivileged people the opportunity to fulfill their potential. I could only afford to go to a state university.

Sure, there are "programs" and whatever, but those are limited and often discriminatory. Education is not something that "the free market" should necessarily be deciding who gets and who doesn't get.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

The fact that the land of the free has more people in prison than any other country on the planet....I wonder WTF The Americans are thinking as well?
Its proves how dumbed down they are by thinking they are free and their "leaders" actually have their interests at heart.
America is a business that exploits people...nothing more. (even the prisons are a private entity in some cases)

I just thought it needed to be seen one more time by everyone!

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Many political groups demonize Europe's countries and policies, but the Scandinavian countries have the highest happiness rating and I think we should look to them and follow successful government policies. Repeating the same failed system expecting for better results are not going to happen.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Repeating the same failed system expecting for better results are not going to happen.

Isn't insanity described the same way....repeating the same failures hoping for a different result?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The graphic makes a lot of sense.

I don't think that's gonna be popular on this website.

Yep...Vikings are now laughing at our savage ways. awesome.

But hey, if we were to change anything, then we would be losing our freedoms and such.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

Many political groups demonize Europe's countries and policies, but the Scandinavian countries have the highest happiness rating and I think we should look to them and follow successful government policies. Repeating the same failed system expecting for better results are not going to happen.

Yes, and next time you hear someone moaning about northern European countries, ask them what exactly they have an issue with.
Want to see the definition of confusion, watch their face when they try to pull stuff out of their nether-regions to support their distaste...

"I heardified that Denmark gives you mandatory abortions and feeds old people to goats!!!"

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Awsome little cartoon, more money for education would save billions of dollars in the long run, too bad the us is a corporation not a country
edit on 9-5-2014 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Back in the day, it wasn't a requirement to graduate high school, yet back then you could have an 8th grade education and still take home enough money to feed the family. Fast forward a bit, and then it was practically manditory to graduate high school, and it was free, so then the high school diploma became worthless. Fast forward to the last ten years, how many have paid out the nose to get a degree and still can't find work in their field? And if degrees were free, how would that improve the situation? It would make degrees even more worthless, and only people with 4 degrees would make money?

Only people that go to school on the government extortion collected dime for 3 decades would make any money.
edit on Fri, 09 May 2014 19:28:37 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

Hmm. What you say makes a little sense, however.. There is still a massive number with high school diploma's who just can't get into debt to further their education. They are living in a society where they grow up seeing so much struggle about them to survive and just don't want that risk of a mega degree. A big factor is probably to help younger brothers/sisters, or even parents by trying to get some income as soon as possible to help their families.

That of course destroys many things, namely the chance at a job better that a fast-food worker, cleaner etc. But there is still a market out their for jobs that need a university education. This is a many edged sword of course. The few jobs that are out there are taken by those with a degree. The problem is the LACK of jobs. Why? Look overseas.

In a horrifically selfish way, profits have been raised and jobs erased from american ledgers to be sent overseas which makes the filth at the top happy... It's soul destroying, country destroying, and makes the degree's seemingly worthless.

What also needs to be addressed is the quality of that education. The teachers in those Nordic countries are very well respected, and well paid so that the best can choose to become educators rather than working in industry because the pay is better there. Where I'm from (Australia) teachers barely get paid more than a cleaner, so we get the crappy 'educators' we deserve, who feed back into the system which is next to useless, pumps out idiots - and those idiots get a teaching degree cause it's 'easy' and has good holidays.... *sigh*

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I think a lot of young people who are struggling to pay their college loans, who are finding it difficult to find jobs can easily relate to this. Education should be the priority of every country, yet most conservatives want to cut funding. Without an educated populace, there will be a lack of innovation, the economy will falter and the toll it will take on government welfare will be staggering!

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Some of us are thinking that having the state dictate how and what our children think is an inherently bad and stupid idea.

Personally, I would rather be plain-and-simply dumb than completely brainwashed. It's taken me (and many of us here) years to "unlearn" and detach from the BS social paradigm the state-education system has rammed down our throats since birth.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

You're speaking about political philosophies which schools shouldn't be engaged in. However, the populace must be educated using the best technology and brightest minds to teach our future generations. An incompetent populace will only drive an economy into the ground, increase the welfare roles, create more crime and send more jobs over seas to countries who have free, strong education systems who need competent workers and bright engineering minds. Education, innovation and strong work-ethics was the back-bone behind the popular "American know how" saying, and was the key to America's economic mobility.

You can't write a post, read, analyze, problem solve or do your job without being educated. To think education isn't important, is simply ridiculous! Just look at countries who have poor education systems and lack education! It's one of the main factors why they have poor economies and are considered 3rd world countries.

new topics

top topics

join