It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

were is atlantis?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:12 AM
link   
does anyone know anything about atlantis and its cultures as i am doing a project on atlantis.

many people say its in the antartic

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Here is an interesting link about finding Atlantis.

www.atlan.org...

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Atlantis is in the imagination of millions of people.

I have listened to many different ideas of where atlantis might be. The fact that there are so many different ideas about the subject only means that the stories are vague, old, and open to many interpretations. In other words, they are not clear. For most people, dreams are not very clear either.

Now, when most people think of atlantis, they think of a civilization far advanced for its time, with great boats, technology, and even airplanes. A closed off city or civilization could be burried under the ocean, but in my opinion, a moble civilization with the capability to travel such as described in atlantis (by some) could no just be burried and forgotten. We would have found evidence of such technology by now. For instance a 10000 year old airplane at the top of a mountain.

[edit on 11/29/2004 by Seapeople]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Well, no doubt, most will be telling you to use the Search feature, as there are numerous threads on it...

My money is on the Altiplano in Bolivia, for the capital city, while South America is the continent in question (with the CITY of Atlantis sinking, not the continent)....

www.geocities.com...

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Well, unfortunately, I can't remember the guy's name. But there was a discovery special about a geologist who had compared a Persian map of Atlantis to seismographic readings of the land under the Arctic, and the two were nearly identical. However, he wasn't on a search for Atlantis, he was on a search for evidence on his theory about massive and quick tectonic shift of the Earth's crust every several thousand years. This, he said, explains sudden ice ages that apparently freezes an area within hours. There was other evidence of this occurrance as well, such as a Mammoth that was found, frozen to death in less than an hour. Though the mammoth was found thousands of years later, in an arctic climate, the flowers in its stomach (only partially digested) were from a tropical climate.

Anyway, one of the things he was looking at for evidence was the land formations beneath the Antarctic. He got a map of actual land, below the ice, through seismographic equipment, and later presented some of his research materials (including the map of Antarctica's land below the ice) to a friend. The friend then asked why he was trying to use Atlantis to prove a theory on tectonic movement. The geologist had no idea what the other was talking about, till the man pulled up a copy of a Persian map of Atlantis, from something like 500 AD... They traced out the outline of both, resized them to be on the same scale, and the two overlapped almost perfectly.

So... basically, what he believes now is that if there ever was an Atlantis, then rather than sink, it was quite suddenly shifted somewhere between 5,000 to 10,000 miles to the Antarctic, when the last ice age hit, perhaps 8 to 12 thousand years ago...

Anyway... that's the most scientifically sound theory I've ever seen on it.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Visit my link above, and compare it with the writings of Plato (which are also on that link) for yourself. You'll see the location is VERY scientifically sound.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The first modern reference to Atlantis is The Timaeus by Plato. Click on the link and do edit>find on this page>atlantis or just scroll down. Plato gives very plain directions. Use a globe and stretch a string along the parallel of latitude at the Strait of Gibraltar, located in the Mediterranean Sea at the mouth of the Atlantic (ancient name, Pillars of Hercules) to the West across the Atlantic until you hit land. Bingo. Atlantis.

[edit on 29-11-2004 by Chakotay]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I'm sorry, and this has nothing to do with this post content, it's a good question, but PLEASE spell "were" as in "were is atlantis" (the subject of this post) w-h-e-r-e. I'm majorly sorry to be such a nag.

[edit on 29-11-2004 by jupiter869]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I think atlantis is probably under the antarctic ice and a nuclear explosion might have made it cold and freazing like in nuclear winter, but i also think it is possible that South America used to be called atlantis. It makes sence since( wow say that 10 times fast) South America is the size of a continent and atlantis was the size of a continent.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Croat69
I think atlantis is probably under the antarctic ice and a nuclear explosion might have made it cold and freazing like in nuclear winter, but i also think it is possible that South America used to be called atlantis. It makes sence since( wow say that 10 times fast) South America is the size of a continent and atlantis was the size of a continent.

(blink)

Ummm... two very minor nitpicks, sorry. South America -is- a continent, and...ummm... "a nuclear explosion"??? Can you honestly say, with a straight face, that even the comparatively advanced Atlantean populace had the capability AND the fuel neccesary in sufficient quantities, to cause a nuclear explosion?

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Use the search for many threads on this. Here's one.:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

top topics

join