It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We have a new Stealth Boat, and her captain? Capt. James Kirk!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Boscov

as seen in the recent ender's game movie

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: UNIT76

Check these articles out. Gotta love Sci-Fi, especially when it provides the creative spark which drives theory, research, and development. Once made, then we choose how to use it.

www.foxnews.com...

www.fox8live.com...

Yeah, yeah...FOX, but the science is real and they are cooking with gamma ray lasers and lsf crystals.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Yeah. I'm on the USS enterprise and at no point ever have we ever once worried about an emp. My ship is 50 years old. I'm sure this will be absolutely fine.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Did the Navy just copied the Russian billionaires Andrey Melnichenko yacht? It looks like they took his yacht then put some grey painted 4x8 sheets around the captains tower.

edit on 44531America/ChicagoFri, 09 May 2014 23:44:01 -0500up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
That is funky looking. The radar signature is reduced by eliminating right angles and vertical sides.

Other navies are also building stealth ships, although they don't seem to be as advanced as the Zumwalt:

Source

I guess this is what all naval ships from major countries will soon look like. Sorry, no more sails.

I don't think this first Zumwalt has lasers or rail guns:

Source

Still, the Advanced Gun System fires rocket-assisted, GPS guided shells over the horizon up to 63 miles away. That means the targeting would be done by other assets (aircraft, submarine, satellite). I would expect the gun system can be replaced when lasers or railguns become available.

The name of the captain is James A. Kirk. I would have spit my coffee out if it was James T. Kirk.

posted on May, 12 2014 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Consider that if you look at the Aircraft forum and some links to the RQ170, the Angles of the F-117 were good for forward and rear, fast in fast out Stealth (but have not since been replicated in a (known) Aircraft). According to some nice articles, Tacit Blue, a whale like Stealth Platform was the birth of blended edge stealth so the roundedness of the RQ170 sentinal and the B2 (and f22 and f35 to an extent).

However, Stealth Ships have always copied the F-117 style of angled stealth.

Is this because of the ship being a somewhat static platform in some planes sompared to an aircraft (vertical movement is limited to wave patterns and any other axis is at the limit of how much a ship can turn)??

posted on May, 15 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boscov
a reply to: Gazrok

Hella' cool, but scary! The USS Gerald R. Ford, new Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier is wicked as well. 11 new Aircraft Carriers being built. The US Navy and Air Force has "gone to plaid". I get the feeling the US is about to seize the skies and oceans, without much resistance.

Only one is currently 'under construction' with being laid down this year; the 10-12 number will possibly be the operational carriers of this class by the 2050's.

As for the idea that there is competition that's 'silly' as there never was much competition for carriers and there wont soon be either. If the US has real enemies abroad a new class of carriers would be a fiscally ridiculous way to fight them so that can not be it.

Stellar

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: StellarX

originally posted by: Boscov
a reply to: Gazrok

Hella' cool, but scary! The USS Gerald R. Ford, new Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier is wicked as well. 11 new Aircraft Carriers being built. The US Navy and Air Force has "gone to plaid". I get the feeling the US is about to seize the skies and oceans, without much resistance.

Only one is currently 'under construction' with being laid down this year; the 10-12 number will possibly be the operational carriers of this class by the 2050's.

As for the idea that there is competition that's 'silly' as there never was much competition for carriers and there wont soon be either. If the US has real enemies abroad a new class of carriers would be a fiscally ridiculous way to fight them so that can not be it.

Stellar

One is most certainly under construction. It is a full ship with real nuclear fuel. I've walked around it and I think it's going to sport some technologies that keep it relavent.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: truttseeker

There is no doubt that one will be in full service within a year or two and that another has been laid down or will soon be; there will be at least two ships of this class and it's almost certain that there will be several more in the next decade or two.

As for it's relevance aircraft carriers are great weapons with which to terrorize mostly defenseless third world nations but they have become more and more vulnerable every decade since the second world war. During the cold war their function was essentially the same as now ( terrorizing third world nations) and they were not a good investment in how effective they would have been against the massive soviet submarine fleet&air launched cruise missile threats.... The US simply kept building them because it's what the admirals wanted and because the primary aim always was the protection of the empire and not to fight USSR. Given the size of the relative economies it was apparently presumed that the US could fight as inefficiently as it wanted to...

I apologise if that seemed unclear; i believe in many strange possibilities but aircraft carrier construction is not IMO something you hide or fake easily!

Stellar

edit on 22-5-2014 by StellarX because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join