It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayan Sarcophagus Lid vs. "Blueprints" of NASA's Mercury Capsule

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wandering Scribe
a reply to: jeep3r

Again, which is more likely? The Egyptians were visually representing their religious beliefs, or they were trying to represent an invention that they themselves created, but lacked the proper motifs, and so they blasphemed their gods and sacred myths to do it... one time... on one temple wall... in all of their history.

All good and valid points. But these depictions are there and won't go away. Also, out of a plethora of possible ways to illustrate their creation mythology, why did AE choose a design so similar to technological devices (even the Djed symbol corresponds to the hypothetical 'high voltage insulator')? No tyranny of possibilities here, just trying to point to alternative interpretations ...

As for your other remark: I'm not assuming that 'they' created that technology themselves. I could rather imagine them having had some kind of brief contact with said technology at some point in the past (eg. via an advanced civilization). This may have influenced part of their belief system & symbolism, because they realized they stumbled upon something utterly important and incredible. A possible inability to fully comprehend that tech might have led them to find abstract ways of illustrating what they 'remembered'.

So why is there just one such depiction? I don't know, have we found it all yet? I'm not yelling 'proof', but as long as there are such resemblances, a door should be left open for alternative views regarding the origins of such symbolism.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
originally posted by: UNIT76

Here's an actual aerial view of Teotihuacan and its pyramid complex:

You'll notice that the actual location is much more complex than the image you presented:

Certainly, if you strip away 90% of what is actually present at Teotihuacan you can make a case that a few structures look similar to a computer chip's wiring and circuitry. Although, to be honest, computer circuitry is far more complex as well:

Perhaps the real reasoning behind Teotihuacan has something to do with the Sun and Moon (after which the two temples are named), and the Aztec's capability architecturally?

~ Wandering Scribe

edit on 9/5/14 by Wandering Scribe because: corrected some code

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I'm not against the idea that the Pacal's sarcophagus, the Dendera relief, or Teotihuacan are unique. I'm a huge supporter of ancient man's work having an "aura" if you will.

What I don't like is when the real value of these pieces is stripped away in favor of something far more mundane and less enlightening.

In the case of Dendara, you strip away 3500 years of religious, philosophic, scientific, and cultural belief, due to a game of "looks like". All of the uniqueness of Ancient Egypt is thrown away --- their mythology, their belief, their philosophies on life and it's origins --- all because some of their artwork looks like something else.

It would be like a future culture finding some of our old K'nex pieces and assuming that all of our mechanical advancement were children's toys, and that we really saw no value in the gear, the cog, the wheel, or the crossbar, because some children's toys resemble them.

I find that it is much more respectful to treat a culture's work based around what we know of that culture, its beliefs and opinions, and it's level of technological advancement. There are no sockets, no wires, and nothing else that deals with modern electrical systems present anywhere in Egypt, and they never discuss anything about light bulbs or electricity in any of their myths.

Until we find a physical light bulb, or more examples of light bulbs in Egyptian art, I am inclined to believe that the relief, present in a temple, is depicting religious and spiritual themes, the likes of which can be found mirrored in other temple complexes.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
*facepalm*

As someone with a degree in the field... y'all crazy.

Just keep ignoring the fact that the OP shows an incorrect orientation of Pakal. It is turned on its side. This is the same as cutting a jigsaw piece to fit a puzzle. It completely invalidates the argument.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Oh my I see we have taken 'looks kinda like' to a lower Level

...but well refuted by the folks who have already commented

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Believe it or not, some archeologists actually read Mayan hieroglyphs. What they came up with is a little different:

Source

I think trying to impose 20th century culture on an ancient civilization can be misleading.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

There are features reminiscent of fuel chambers to either side (Above and below), turbo pumps and a combustion chamber but the radiator like feature at the back could also indicate a attempt to describe an radio active heat plasma engine or ion engine, or it could be just a stylized image of something a culture remembered only in ceremonial terms' like the arrowhead's from another culture in south america.
That is of course from our perspective but I wonder what a south american shamen of that period would have described.
S+F.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Good catch, S&F!

Ever since I saw these hieroglyphs I wondered if ancient aliens could have taken some of the ancient humans on a tourist trip into the future to show them what the world will be like, and if so, did they try to reproduce what they saw?

If that's true, then some of the UFOs we're seeing today have ancient Egyptians and Mayans in them.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AntiNWO

The Abydos hieroglyphics are a palimpsest, an occurrence where one text is buried beneath another text.

Essentially, what happened was that Seti I created the cartouche originally, and Ramses II re-used the exact same cartouche, inscribing the hieroglyphics of his name directly on top of Seti I's hieroglyphics.

This process, alongside standard wear-and-tear from more than a millennium of time, resulted in the palimpsest that Ancient Astronaut theorist continue to misidentify to this day.

There's no helicopter, hovercar, or submarine on the cartouche. Pareidolia (the human mind's innate tendency to look for familiar patterns in nature) is responsible for the erroneous identification.

If you're really curious, there's also this right here, which shows the original hieroglyphics of Seti I (in red), and the later-generation hieroglyphics of Ramses II (in blue).

~ Wandering Scribe

edit on 9/5/14 by Wandering Scribe because: typo

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   

You are on "something", my friend. You are on something...

S&f.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ionwind

I think trying to impose 20th century culture on an ancient civilization can be misleading.

Exactly.

Believe that we are the most advanced civilization that inhabited this planet through the ages is pure nonsense.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   

It would be like a future culture finding some of our old K'nex pieces and assuming that all of our mechanical advancement were children's toys, and that we really saw no value in the gear, the cog, the wheel, or the crossbar, because some children's toys resemble them.

I find that it is much more respectful to treat a culture's work based around what we know of that culture, its beliefs and opinions, and it's level of technological advancement. There are no sockets, no wires, and nothing else that deals with modern electrical systems present anywhere in Egypt, and they never discuss anything about light bulbs or electricity in any of their myths.

No disrespect intended. Those who study these cultures deserve merit and it's really hard work, I can imagine. I'm probably lacking most of that background but yet I see what I see. The game of "looks kinda like" will always be there, I guess, especially if resemblances are as striking as is the case here.

That, of course, is not supposed to mean that everything archaeologists and other scientists learned about that culture is wrong. Quite on the contrary. What I'm getting at is just a possible missing link and the question: what are the real (much older) origins of some of the unusual depictions we find across different cultures, and could the symbolism attached to these possibly have a different or additional meaning based on something we may have overlooked?

Apart from that, I'd like to thank everyone who contributed up to here for illuminating both sides of this discussion (archaeological vs. fringe perspective).

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arken
You are on "something", my friend. You are on something...

S&f.

I really do hope so ... thanks, Arken! We know a lot about ancient cultures (as demonstrated by the knowledgable folks in this thread). But I suspect we just don't know enough yet and these resemblances are a real pain when you're forced to merge them into an existing paradigm.
edit on 10-5-2014 by jeep3r because: text

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Or a "blueprint" of this one...

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   

But I suspect we just don't know enough yet and these resemblances are a real pain when you're forced to merge them into an existing paradigm.

Exactly. We simply don't know enough but we feel that there is "something" that goes far beyond our experience of modern "advanced" civilization of the XXI century.

These truths or assumptions generate fear and havoc in the "public mind" that it is not prepared for such kind revelations as it involves the issue of truth that could crash everything on which it stands this pathetic last civilization in which we live in...

I know that Human Kind is not yet ready for such kind of truth but... we have not much time, I think...

edit on 10-5-2014 by Arken because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Arken

Yep, if such an artifact were found and declared "real" (including sources & documentation), debunkers would have a much harder time denying the influence of an advanced civilization. Although most probably fake, that's still an inspiring image ... thanks for posting that!

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
we're kinda-looking-at (pun intended) something that's designed to get us to the same destination anyway

be it a physical rocketship schematic or a symbolic representation of climbing that world tree (ie: does the human explore the universe with a spacecraft or his own soul?)

the difference seems to be the actual mechanics & apparatus of what's used to propel oneself through it all
(i think the difference is actually significant, and leads to completely different destinations, but that's another story entirely, isn't it?)

..i can also appreciate how ancient alien$ and many other$ have a ve$ted intere$t in empha$izing one way over the other

i don't understand the contention about ancient aztecs referencing these things (and citing the spanish conquest as some kind of proof to the contrary) there is a scene in one of those old planet-of-the-apes movies where they're all worshiping an unexploded atomic bomb as some kind of deity, it's probably much the same thing going on here, we're all working with mere vestiges of a remnant we don't understand
..much the same as many modern-day supposedly 'educated' people probably have no idea what that world tree & celestial journey is about (and how it supposedly leads to the same destination)

some artistic liberty;

You are on (to) "something", my friend. You are on (to) something...

indeed there is ultimately something much more arcane & esoteric nestled in all this..

Perhaps the real reasoning behind Teotihuacan has something to do with the Sun and Moon

..that didn't take long

a little more on the sun & the moon, and that 'celestial journey'

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

a reply to: AntiNWO

The Abydos hieroglyphics are a palimpsest, an occurrence where one text is buried beneath another text.

Essentially, what happened was that Seti I created the cartouche originally, and Ramses II re-used the exact same cartouche, inscribing the hieroglyphics of his name directly on top of Seti I's hieroglyphics.

This process, alongside standard wear-and-tear from more than a millennium of time, resulted in the palimpsest that Ancient Astronaut theorist continue to misidentify to this day.

There's no helicopter, hovercar, or submarine on the cartouche. Pareidolia (the human mind's innate tendency to look for familiar patterns in nature) is responsible for the erroneous identification.

If you're really curious, there's also this right here, which shows the original hieroglyphics of Seti I (in red), and the later-generation hieroglyphics of Ramses II (in blue).

~ Wandering Scribe

You need to re think that one matey.

That cannot be true. The carvings have a embossed effect, (protruding) The shading on the rock (light source top RHS) gives me the impression, excuse the pun.

If the original carvings are carved into the rock you could adjust the shapes and add to it by chipping away, but if they are carved so as the leave the shapes protruding, changing the shapes the way you suggest is impossible as you chip what is not in the image, rather than what is.

Just sayin!

To go over one carving you have to take it back flush and then chip away at what is not in the new image. Perhaps that is what happened, and this is the new one we see today?
edit on 10-5-2014 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-5-2014 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Excellent article, thanks!

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Wifibrains

Actually that is a great explanation and very informative.
Thousands of years seperated them but you must also take into account the saquarra bird,
www.bibliotecapleyades.net... and cross reference that with the rocket plane model add some wing's to it and did they know more or at least have some perhaps tradition of forgotten knowlege perhaps orally passed down like the mahabarrata in india.

edit on 10-5-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join