It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Hampshire: Food Stamps For............GUNS!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

if we REALLY wanted to get ridiculous, we could classify a gun as food, by calling it a "Kevorkian snack"

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daedalus
a reply to: Quadrivium

something like that.....

simply put, benefits go to EBT, EBT can't be used to get cash.

benefits on EBT card are use-restricted to approved items only.

And then they could "eliminate" specific items by using the barcodes to I.D. the "restricted" things.

They do that already with the "food only" items.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

They need to do something.

I'd prefer them to just go back to handing out commodity boxes with a weekly allotment of food items. Of course, they could sell those, too.

It all comes back to these things being too easy for determined people to scam.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Daedalus, xuenchen and ketsuko......are y'all on the east coast?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quadrivium
Daedalus, xuenchen and ketsuko......are y'all on the east coast?

Chicago right now.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

it would require the cashier to key the POS for an EBT/SNAP transaction, but yeah, tagging certain item barcodes in the store database as restricted would work just fine...

then they could use that to make sure people aren't buying chips, candy bars, bubblegum, snack cakes, and other assorted crap with their SNAP benefits...

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Hmm... I just had a theory of why the thread started out as it did....um nm.
Been up going on 30 hrs. Still need to stay up a few more hrs.
Transferring from night shift to dayshift sucks.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

perhaps....why do you ask?

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Daedalus
While in Florida a couple of years ago I went to the ATM in the hotel lobby and they actually had a sign on it explaing how to use your EBT card to get cash.
Then we have fast food restaurants that accept EBT.
I don't believe either of these should be acceptable.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I just had a therory on the type of replies i got to this thread to start out with. After thinking it over, it would probably be best to keep it to myself.
It would be a little crude to suggest that those who disagreed with the "food stamps for guns" were still at work.
So i won't say anything about it. I will just keep it to myself.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

I'm only part-time. Underemployed. Thank you, Obama.

In general, I don't think tax dollars should go to buy things that aren't essential needs. As much as I support the 2nd Amendment, I don't support that money being spent on anything other than the bare basics. I'm not sure I put guns on that list.

I'm Midwest.

edit on 9-5-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quadrivium
While in Florida a couple of years ago I went to the ATM in the hotel lobby and they actually had a sign on it explaing how to use your EBT card to get cash.
Then we have fast food restaurants that accept EBT.
I don't believe either of these should be acceptable.

you're right, neither of those is at all acceptable.

if you're getting disability, or something like this, i could see that being ok to come as a check, that you can bank..

but SNAP? no....Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program..... it's supposed to be for low-income families, or people on welfare, so that they can procure nutritious food...not candy, chips, twinkies, and motherf**king big macs...the whole thing is out of control....

and now this wingnut wants to add guns?

sure, fine, call it a Kevorkian snack, give em one bullet, and let 'em go to town...
edit on 9-5-2014 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
There is no way to eliminate the problem entirely, too many entities are in it for profit. But there are legitimate families that absolutely need this to survive.

Stores already have a specific code attached to EBT Food items allowed but some stores make 'mistakes' upon labeling to get more customers such as putting paper products with the wrong code.
Other times EBT people let others use their own cards to let someone else buy lets say $100 worth of EBT food, when the transaction is over they get paid like $75 which they go and spend on drugs.
In other cases people say the primary breadwinner doesn't live with them which pushes them under the poverty line and makes them eligible.

There are so many ways to hack a system it's scary and futile to defend against each and every attack. The problem is the good these programs do out way the negatives in most cases.
The cash portion of this should be discontinued though, there are too many loopholes.

edit on 5/9/2014 by AnteBellum because: spelling

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Yes, and in some states citizen children qualify for full benefits even though noncitizen parents work full-time because they don't count the noncitizen parent's income when they total up the available support for the citizen children. So they get benefit of the full spread of welfare benefits AND the full income of working parents.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

food is food and most on food stamps and welfare spend most time working or are unable to work let alone cook for themselves, so fast food is cheaper and faster that stocking up on 100 dollars a week of groceries and cooking themselves. it saves time and money otherwise spent on fuel, electricity/gas and groceries.

you may think banning ebt for fast food would stop abuse and indeed it would but there is no evidence of any significant amount of abuse towards the system by people using government assistance and even if it were the case then such a restriction would only hurt those who need it most.
just like most every other restriction that already exists to get assistance hurts the people who need it most by making impossible demands of them just to prove they are innocent, treating them all like criminals just because people who are better off can't stop being paranoid of those "below" them.

paranoia is why america can't have the good things that the rest of the western world has, why things that work elsewhere never works as well or at all in america, paranoia is suffocating america, driving our economy into the ground and turning the world against us. we have become so divided that we can't even trust ourselves or our own fellow american citizens.

america is just a paranoid, fearful and angry spoiled brat that can't control itself around others is what many think because such attitudes towards those in need and people in general.
edit on 9-5-2014 by namehere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I came up hard in a bad area. We were dirt poor and I made the choice to get out. I MADE THE CHOICE.
Sometimes, no matter how hard you think it will be, it's better to cut your loses and run.

Kudos to you, sir. Your tale had a fortunate outcome. Others that live there are expected to do the same I guess as you? To be raised in impoverished, even malnourished families, receive less than standard parenting and education. Endure gangs, dope and overburdensome police. They should rise above all that and escape?

They might not be that strong.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
My question is, why not?
If your circumstances or life are that bad, change them.
I have found that many things in this life are brought about by the decisions we as individuals make.
There are actually very few things that we have absolutely no control over.
The biggest being, where and to whom you are born. Everything else is gravy so to speak.
Many people think of themselves as victims because that is how others see them.
I refuse to see them as such.
If your circumstances get bad enough and you have the will, you can change it.
I understand that some people need help (I did). The trick is not to settle for that, not to get complacent with it.
Keep the need to change strongly in your mind, body and soul. We can overcome almost anything if we try.

posted on May, 9 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: namehere

Fast food is NOT cheaper.

We do stock our $100 to $130 in groceries per week and somehow manage to make it through and cook most nights. It's a matter of knowing how to shop and what techniques don't take long. Slapping a fish filet or pork cutlet in a skillet takes about as much time and effort as standing in a fast food line and is better for you and will run you less money than that fast food, too.

posted on May, 10 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   

I understand that some people need help (I did).

Ahhh, there it is. Some (most?) never receive that kind of help. The Ghetto (for lack of a better term) is designed to keep people in. If you lived there you must be aware from your experience how strong the barriers are against rising above it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join